Minor/Repaint: It's only art if it's well Sprung!?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Cashanova, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Cashanova

Cashanova Sons Of Unicron PTT

With Nato-Bots Roadbuster upgrade looming I couldn't leave Springer how he was. He was in desperate need of a head mod, new chest and a big gun to replace he winch on his right arm.

First the head, after a serious look around I couldn’t find a head that was the correct size and had that Springer look. So I modded the head that came with the figure, used a dremel to clean off any unwanted areas, added his trademark crest and mohawk and widened the base of the helmet with styrene.

For the chest I used a dremel to remove the chest area and create a channel for the new box chest to fit in. The new chest was built with styrene and the autobot logo was cut from an old cyber planet key.

After removing the winch it automatically came to me what gun to use for his forearm. Fortunately I had a few spare guns from cybertron scattershot. I modded 2 together and added an ammo box to the end and another autobot logo.

To paint the new areas I used a mix of humbrol enamel satin paints and revell enamel smooth paints to match the plastic surface as best I could. I painted the face silver with Humbrol metalcote.

I wanted to keep the toy aesthetic and not add too much paint detail so he fits in with the rest of my classics.

There’s still a couple of things to do to finish him off, I need to cut a bigger gully in the back of the back pack because with the new mohawk the head don't go all the way back in the hole so when he's transformed the back pack sits flush and wont scrape the paint on the head.
    I'd also like to add an ammo belt to the gun but I've gotta find one first.

UPDATE****************************************************

So I managed to cut the channel in the back pack large enough so it would scratch the mohawk. Also widened out the gun peg so it wouldnt clash with the transformation.
    Just waiting on a gun belt now.

Attached Files:

2. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

Nice job. This is a perfect way to make this mold more Springer like. Simple and effective, someday I'll get to this as well.

3. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Sweet

4. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Very nice!
    His new head really gives it a Springer Feeling along with his Chest, nd his Big bad gun :D 

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Loving the new head, great job.

6. Da_Razorsaw

Da_Razorsaw Highwire ownz j00

News Credits:
    It looks like he's wearing playdo on his chest, tbh.

The lack of detail on it doesn't fit well with the rest of his design.

7. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Looks much more like Springer now! Hats off for a very resourceful use of Cyber keys! I may have to knick that idea from ya!:thumbs2: 

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Now all he needs is a futuristic car mode :) 

Great work :thumb 

9. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Nice work. I like the gun you used and the head looks waaay more Springer shaped except for the actual face, not digging that. He's gonna look a bit odd next to a tiny Roadbuster too

10. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i 2nd that nice job. how dose he look transformed.

11. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I've been trying to come up with an idea for a gun for mine (no modifications sadly, just the stock figure) and can't think of anything - your addition of the gun is extra great too.

12. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Looks great, man! My only question is does it still transform? I was working on one of these back in July and from the look of the way the arms transform, it's hard to do a nice chest mod like you did without it getting in the way of the transformation. If you've figured out a way of doing it nicely, please share. lol

Keep up the great work, man!

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I've been wanting to do this exact same thing... except I figured I'd have to replace his propeller gearbox with a big yellow intake and have that fold down over his chest. So you're saying the new chest fits into the transformation without any problem? I would have thought it would conflict with the arms that fold in front during transformation.

Nice work on the head. It's true that Evac mold has a funny jaw, but you really solidified the resemblance to the character.

zmog

14. Cashanova

Thanks to everyones praise and critisism, I will be working to put in a little more detail into the chest area. (The yellow on the chest was quite difficult to photograph)

The arms still fold away fine, I actually spent most of the time making sure that part of the transformation still worked than anything else.
    Unfortunatley I added the gun a little too close and I didnt cut a wide enough gap for his mohawk to fit in the back pack. I'm making these changes tonight and will post vehicle mode pics tommorrow. I'll also take a few transformation pics to show the chest clearence.

I still have a cybertron evac somewhere so I could take some pics and draw overthem to show how the chest mod fits.

15. Cashanova

UPDATE*************************************************

Heres a few more pics showing the full transformation and how the new chest has plenty of clearence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    This a great mod, I'm really Digging the changes. I would reallylike to be able to copy some of your changes and I'm sure others would also.

The only thing is that gun would really be hard to come by. It sure helps bring Springer more to life than that old Wench hook on his arm.

Can you give us an idea how you made it?

I think it be a real nice piece to even add to Darcov's cast reproduction list here on our board if you could maybe send it to him to make a quick cast.

17. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    He looks awesome. I love the cannon armament, the paint, everything. Very nice looking. Even down to the Cybermohawk. That made me lol quite a bit with giddy geekiness.

18. Cashanova

Thanks. I'm sure there's a lot of guys here who'll improve this mod no end, just glad I got the ball rolling. The guns made from x2 cybertron Scattershot guns and a part from an energon Grand Scourge kit. If there's enough interest, i havnt a problem sending the gun off to be cast.

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Aha! I see it now... good job on the chest. Must have been a lot of trial and error to get it to fit just right.

Whenever I get around to this mod, you've saved me a lot of work in the wrong direction. :) 

zmog