It's Official: Animated Has Won Me Over!

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Beemer, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Beemer

Beemer Well-Known Member

Just finished watching TransWarped, and although I had previously caught a few episodes of Animated that I enjoyed, (most notably the Wreck-Gar one,) Animated has been a bit hit-or-miss for me so far.

But TransWarped has cemented in my mind the idea that the writers really have a deep appreciation of the TF mythology and a lot of good ideas about how to make ensemble casts work. All the fantastic G1 nods, and a lot of things that I would consider to be even BETTER than G1, make this stand out as one of the best TF series of all time. Particularly in the Rodimus Prime scene, which I wish had been about three hours longer, we saw:

Ironhide actually having an IRON HIDE power which seems to be an invulnerable skin that grows over him ala the X-Men's Colossus, a Hot Shot who SHOOTS FLAMES, (How could we have missed that? It's so obvious! DUH!) and a Blackout who shorts out electrical devices. Simple stuff like this that makes a character's identity and personality one and the same.

Between great writing like this and the returns of the original voice actors like Corey Burton for Shockwave, John Moschitta for Blurr and Judd Nelson as Rodimus really satisfied my dedicated Geewunner self. I'll be watching the rest of the season with great expectations. Kudos to everyone involved.

2. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Welcome to the revolution :) 

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Buy the Shockwave toy. I can't put mine down.

4. magnusEXP

magnusEXP Portuguese Wha-Freak!

yeah I am too in the animated mania nowadays (my girlfriend too)but lack of toys here in portugal...great G1 nods and lot of fresh stuff to add to the mix...AAA+++

5. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YAY!

:ev:  One of us! :ev:  One of us! :ev: 

Something tells me there will be more people like you joining the fandom that is TFA.

jD001

6. Snow Cat

Snow Cat Well-Known Member

I've always loved it.

Welcome to the insanity.

7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    been with it since the start, but transwarped is definitely one of if not the best episode so far

8. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Welcome to the insanity! And its fun! like chocolate covered jujubes!

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Welcome to the club!

--Moony

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Neither can I- oh wait, I DON'T HAVE ONE.

SL = phale.

I do have lots of the other Animated toys (everyone up to Wave 5 deluxes/Voyagers and repaints) and strongly recommend EVERY ONE OF THEM. (EVEN Cyb mode Voyager Megs... okay, maybe you could skip him)

11. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Welcome to The Club. :) 

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I must agree that the episode was, in general, better than a lot of what we saw in the earlier seasons. Not that 1 and 2 were bad, per se.

We saw a larger "world" on Earth, Cybertron, outposts, in space, and so on.

We had more characters. Even short appearances are nice. I tend to like ensemble shows, anyway.

More plot, less decompressed storytelling. There is so much to explore in the TF mythos, that the emphasis on "Will Megatron be repaired and/or get the AllSpark?" that was much of season 1 seemed to drag on a bit.

Less with the human villains. I understand why they made that decision (the writers have overtly articulated it clearly on several occasions), but I never agreed with it. Perhaps if the humans were more like Prometheus Black and tied into the TF-related story (he had plots with Blackarachnia, the Dinobots, his desire to create an organic Transformer, and so on), it might have gone over better, in my opinion. As it was, they often felt like filler. I mean...chubby Green Arrow as a villain? Nanosec? That had nothing to do with anything.

It was more streamlined in terms of the storytelling, more actually happened, the plot advanced, we got a feel for more characters and their personalities in short bursts (all fine bits of writing, as well. We got a great feel for Team Chaar and their interpersonal dynamics just from their short appearances), and Sari is still the least annoying human companion ever. She should beat Kicker into a steaming pulp with her hammer.

On a personal note, I do love seeing Shockwave get to do a lot more stuff. Even if it is committing Blurder.

- Coeloptera

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    "Blurder" :lol 

14. DINOBOTT

DINOBOTT Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That was just plain awesome!

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm definitely personal-titling that whole "blurder bit", modified some. Awesome.

16. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Okay, I officially like it here, now.

- Coeloptera
    (Blurderer.)

17. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Blurrder? :lol  That's clever. :thumb 

Bah weep grana weep nini bong to Animated! Or as the Headmaster might say, season three is total ownage noobs!

18. ixaigus

ixaigus Member

Isn't Animated supposed to end after Season 3 ?

TransWarped was certainly good for a season opener, but will it be enough to carry on into the season?

19. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Coeloptera- Blurder? That's sheer awesomeness. xD

I also agree with Coeloptera on the human villains thing. The human villains are kinda cheesy and feel like fillers, but if we have to see human villains in S3, I definitely wanna see some villains like Meltdown and Powell (I have no doubt he will turn out evil).

I love the plot to this continuity, and Sari bugs me, but her origin and relations with the Autobots makes her tolerable, and even a bit likeable. To me. Her father pisses the crap out of me. Okay, not really... I just don't like him that much.

So... welcome to the fandom! You will find many subgroups here, including the newly established Blurr-death-denial club, psj333's Rodimus fan club, the Blitzwing Asylum Attendees... and others. xD

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Powell already is evil.

I like the humans, actually. They not only give a sense of scale but are just great characters and are vital to the plot. Wheras in past series the human characters served no purpose at all other than to be annoying.