It's not the end of the world.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Originally, I had set down at my desk to type a long and drawn out post, an article, if you will about the Transformers movie and the debate about it that has ensued among the online fan boards.

I got about half-way through this, dissecting the different perspectives of various camps of so called "supporters" and "haters" and the reasoning behind the terms that keep being brought up such as "true fan", "Geewoner", etc, etc.

I got half way through it, then, I highlighted the who damn thing and pressed backspace.

Why?

Because I realized something; It's just a movie. It's just a movie like any other movie that comes out year after year. It's meant to entertain the public and make money for the studio and producers behind it.

Now, being one who does not mind being "spoiled" I have red the script and looked at every design that has leaked. There are things I like, things I don't like and things I felt should have or could have been done differently, but then again, I'm not the one making this movie, they are, I don't own Transformers, I'm not a movie studio, a character designer, a director, or a screen writer. I'm a grown man who still enjoys a remaining piece of his childhood. To me, transformers are a fun little diversion, something I escape to to forget about work, pressure, stress, all those un-fun things I have to deal with in real life.

It feels like a lot of people are incredibly angry that this movie is not being made they way they feel it should be made. Not only angry, but even offended, almost like Michael Bay walked up and slapped their mother in the face. There are also those that seem offended by posts on message boards by others about how much they hate the movie, again, it angers them seemingly in the way someone would be angry if that person walked up and passionately kissed their significant other right in front of them all the way groping their behind then giving an evil smirk afterwards.

I thought about all this (mainly because I am working long hours and bored off my ass) and realized that in the grand scheme of things it's just not that important to me. It's just a movie.

If it's an incredible, awesome, and amazing movie, great, I'll see it more than once, I enjoy watching my favorite movies over and over again throughout the years. I even buy them on DVD, and talk about them to other people. It would be nice to have another awesome movie to enjoy, and even better since it's about something I enjoy apart from this particular movie.

Then there's always the other side of the coin.

This movie could come out and after sitting through it and watching it I could decide that it's a stinker - kind of how I feel Attack on the Clones was, I watched it once, thought "That movie sort of sucked" and never watched it again, and you know what, it wasn't the end of the world. It was a movie that sucked, no more, no less.

Transformers is the same way, it's an enduring franchise that has appeared in just about every type of media possible over the years. If the movie sucks then, that's it, it sucks, if it rules - great.

It's not like this movie sucking will suddenly make my 20th anniversary Optimus Prime spontaneously combust, or cause all my Alternators to explode into tiny shards of plastic shrapnel. My TF classics toys won't turn into puddles of brightly colored ooze. All that will happen is, I won't watch the movie again, it's that simple.

Personally I feel like a lot of people are far too wrapped up in this. It's Transformers, it's a toy, a comic book, a cartoon, a novel. It's not something I own, it's not a song I wrote, or a book I pinned. It's not like someone butchered a piece of my own personal art.

In the end, Bay, Spielberg and company aren't doing anything that should be personally offending people or making them so angry. They're making a movie, called Transfomers, because it has Transforming robots in it.

So what if it ends up sucking, it's just a movie.

2. Barricade

Barricade Frenzy is in my pants.

I won't get all Bay-hating and start a debate, but if the movie does suck as much buttocks as it probably will in my mind, it won't matter much. If it does well as far as sales, that will mean more toys, more games, more animated series, etc. I will watch the movie, and if I hate it, I'll go home and watch some G1. Simple and effective. In a way I'm glad I've been so negative towards it all, I'm expecting the WORST, so maybe I will be shocked when I actually like it. Or I won't. Batman & Robin didn't make me burn my Batman TAS DVDs.

3. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Well, that sums it up quite nicely. I have too many movies to see this summer to care one way or the other. If its good: its good. If its bad: its bad. Its kind of funny that things are as simple as that. Go figure.

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow! I feel so much at ease now. :lol  However, self-destroying Transformers could be a movie in itself!:wink:  What a visual!

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I applaud you D-C. well said and perfect.

6. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Well said, DC!

7. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *Claps*

Nice job, D_C.

8. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    didnt you say you weren't going to right a long article? also good points. you couldnt have said it better.

9. The Fortress Maximus

The Fortress Maximus Has a toilet in his head

We're all going to eat our word when all our toys self destruct.

10. Starblazer1989

Starblazer1989 Well-Known Member

yes Dark Convoy, it's a movie, but it shouldn't be called Transformers, rather it should be called - "Giant Robot Monsters From Outer Space" why you ask, because as mentioned by many the designs are horrible and the Decepticons look more like the Predacons from "Beast Wars." all these characters ARE giant robot monsters. i'm a die-hard G1 fan and it pisses me off, because Bay doesn't know & doesn't care about the mythology of Transformers & the same goes for Spielberg.

11. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

And remarks like this are what D_C's talking about. And so what if they look like Predacons? Predacons are Transformers anyway

12. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

You know what D_C you are right in what you say. However ultimately it will fall on deaf ears. But with internet anonymity people have "keyboard courage" and use their "Man voice" without fear of getting bitch slapped. I'll give some examples

Unfortunately, using remarks like these as examples. What your saying isn't possible. As you're right it is just a movie & good or bad Transformers will still go on with Heroes and whatever other line Hasbro has in mind

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hopes and Dreams...

i was hoping for a G1 tribute myself- even if it was as corny as the "Brady Bunch" movies were- where we got to revisit the 80s somehow and it was just escapism at its finest.
    Am i disappointed? yeah. Am i gonna boycott? No. Why? One reason is that after 20 years, at least one of my hopes and dreams came true: i am gonna finally see what transformers in a live-action environment looks like.
    honestly, my darkest wish was to see Omega Supreme come to life on screen; but the point is, since i was a kid with my first TF toy (Thundercracker) i couldn't help but look at that excavator at the construction site or that semi-rig passing our car on the highway and wonder, just how damn big it got if it could transform.
    will get to see that this summer.

so Bay is directing. So they look like quasi-lame gladiator bots. there is still a spark of magic in it for me.
    At least Cullen's voice is there. it is at least a peace offering to the Fanboys who nitpick.
    it is all a start for a franchise that could see improvements to make us happy. i may even see Omega Supreme in TFTM IV....sigh.

14. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

This is what I'm talking about, why are you pissed about it, you don't feel Bay and Company are handling the movie properly, I say so what? It won't kill Transformers even if it bombs, there will still be Transformers post-movie.

15. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Yup, And it's not like I'll be expecting shakespear from this movie. And regardless of it's sucess or lack there of, Japan will keep making more for everyone.

16. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Be it in good or bad way, Transformers will get the proper recognition, that's what I feel. Looking back from G1 till Galaxy Force, it makes me feel "happy" cause they still endure till today, now with the live action it will be the icing on the cake.

Since when all Transformers are always cool looking ? Armada Swideswipe anyone ? Even I find Energon Tow-Line ugly, but not to the verge of calling it pos. Blaming Bay and Co for the future-failure of the movie is pathetic, it's like trying to avoid people laughing at "you" at all cost.

17. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    *deleted*

18. The Fortress Maximus

The Fortress Maximus Has a toilet in his head

Of course, but also of course not. If Transformers, let's assume, bombs it's going to leave a stigma on the line. X-Men, Batman, LOTR, Star Wars has all proven themselves and very popular multi-media properties. If Transformers ever wishes to grow beyond "just for kids" or "show about toys" in the eyes of the world it needs to hit a home run with this movie. That's why it's a big deal. No I am not a G1 purist, but I do think the original CONCEPT (mind you CONCEPT and GENERAL STORYLINE -- so not the details necessarily) were good and adaptable. I don't see the movie makers as reflecting this and what I see is a mess waiting to happen. No my toys won't self destruct, but I imagine that collection will one day be gone anyways as I get older and my girlfriends turn to fiance's and wives (hopefully we can drop the "s" :p ). However I would like to think the storyline I had so much faith in was popular and good enough to be elevated to a higher level...if this movie tanks it might (very well might) kill that chance. I cannot spend the rest of my adult life watching cartoons...but I could start following a movie verse.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personally, I think the main cause of the anger/frustration/flaming/whatever is the fact that there's really only one shot at a live action TF movie (not counting sequels). If someone doesn't like what was done, and/or feels it was done the "wrong" way, there's the added realization that there isn't another different TF movie coming anytime soon, quite likely never. To them it's an opportunity that was wasted

In the grand scheme, it IS only a movie, with only so much impact on the Transformer toy lines and fiction history as a whole.

20. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    D_C has spoken in the words of True Epiphany. Hot, sticky gobs of tasty reason.

Basically, he's titanically correct.