It's in the name

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lord Shockwave7, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Lord Shockwave7

Lord Shockwave7 Xbox Live Dictator

My friend Scott has been known as "Megatron" since he was a child. Now he is 18 almost 19 and is considering changing his middle name to Megatron. This is because he is the most radical fan of Megatron on the planet.

This thread is because I want to hear about what you think, but dont sit here and tell he is stupid. people have gone to crazy extents and everyone, even his parents, have been calling him that over his actual name for years

(also, if you could change any part of your name to a transformer, what would it be?)

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Time for me to mention 'Erector' before anyone else does.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    It's easy to say you want to change your name to Megatron, Obi-Wan Kenobi, or anything else that most if not all people would know off-the-bat. I say change your name to something far-out and obscure:

"Hi, what's your name?"

"Thunderwing Smith. Nice to meet you."

You'd get more than a few weird looks and possibly get your lunch money snatched, but at least you'd show that you've got some balls.

4. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Wasn't there a guy who legally changed his name to "Optimus Prime" several years back?

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, he's a member on here. As far as advice to your friend, I'd say do it if it means that much to him, but make sure that's really what he wants to do first. You never know, he might be up for a job interview in the future and when they see his middle name....well, you know how some people are. I wouldn't have the balls to do it, but if he does, more power to him.

6. Lord Shockwave7

Hes very sure and has been waiting a long time. and by the way its his middle name not his first or last

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I say do it then, hell, if he wants to, then he should.

8. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    As a middle name, guess it's not too big a deal..just have to hope future employers and everyday people won't think he has Megatron's and/or Decepticon traits and personality.
    Wouldn't be a big plus in my book..but up to him. Something to think about.

9. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say he should make it his First Name or not at all...changing your middle name is like getting a tattoo on your shirt sleeve, so you can take it off whenever you want. If he's not willing to be known as Megatron above all other things, then there's no point in going through the hassle of getting a legal name change, IMO.

10. Lord Shockwave7

sure there is, he still has an identity as Scott but hes also known as megatron to everyone. he has considered changing his first name but knew that it wouldnt be practical when thinking about things like an interveiw. plus he's still scott but soon he'll be Scott Megatron M.

11. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    That's what I mean, though - he's already Megatron to everyone he wants to be Megatron to, right? Then why bother? The only reason I would personally bother to make it legal is if I wanted to use the new name in every aspect of my life.

You asked for opinions, and that's mine. Changing your middle name feels kinda pointless to me. If I wasn't committed enough to go whole hog, I wouldn't bother at all.

12. OhSlag!

OhSlag! Well-Known Member

I may have missed this just glacing over the thread but I don't thin he should 'change' his middle name. Why not just add it in there? With most middle names, they are the names of a grandparent or great-grandparent (sp?) and I think it would be disrepectful to the memories of them, replacing thier name with a cartoon character's name. But adding in there, whether before of after any existing middle names, would be OK if its that important.

Also I agree with Hobbes in that if the people that care about him and the people he cares about, family and friends, already know him as Megatron, why waste the money? Also I think it would be a more 'special' nickname if he keeps it as something for those important people.

13. Lord Shockwave7

hes not actually related to anyone by blood or traditional names. i know what you mean though my middle name is 3rd generation Michael so I would never but he doesn't have any family that he wants to accomadate its really just about his obsession with megatron

14. Lord Shockwave7

Its not for other people its for him

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    This and a name like Megatron on a Job or loan application is likely to raise red flags for the simple reason its out of the norm.

16. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Not a good idea. Employers are not likely to hire anyone with Megatron in their name.

This is a crazier idea than putting Jedi Knight as a religion on dog tags.

17. Lord Shockwave7

these are just everyones opinions but let me tell you that he is going to do it wether someone cares or not.
    Your opinians are great but he is going to do it anyways

18. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as it's his own name, fine. But if he ever mentions naming his kid Megatron or something, smack him upside the head.

19. Lord Shockwave7

oh gosh that would be funny

20. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    FWIW, I don't think Employers or Loan Applications would be an issue. They're really not allowed to judge you on something like that. Even if they're familiar with the Transformers character, for all they know it's a coincidence that "Megatron" is also a name that's part of your obscure ethnic heritage or something...