It's all about Transformers comics!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I love me some Marvel. I love me some DC. But when it comes to the characters I follow in most comics, the characters that make me want to collect every title that their in and the ones I look forward to reading most every month, the characters that got me into comic book collecting in the first place and are the main reason I still collect comics - it's all about the Transformers! For me anyway. I still remember those first Marvel Comics Transformers issues I bought as a kid that stared me on a path that grew into a love of comics in general. I don't think I'd have picked up on comic book collecting as a potentially lifelong hobby that it has been for the past 20 years without them. Secret Invasion and Final Crisis are all well and good, but the summer event that has me excited is All Hail Megatron!

Anyone else have similar feelings about TF comics?

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm currently out of touch with IDW TF comics (I know, I know shame on me!). But what's the next upcoming mega event comic-wise for TFs?!?!

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Weirdly, no. I love Transformers and I love comic books, but I have absolutely zero interest in TF comics. I've read the Marvel stuff and War Within, but I don't care about reading the Dreamwave or IDW ongoing books.

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I still have most of the original issues of Marvel's Transformers series. The cover to #5 is still one of my favorites ever: "The Transformers Are All Dead". I can't say that I enjoyed them all that much, though. Between being just a decapitated head and then getting killed off shortly after getting his body back, Prime was hardly in the book. Being a huge Prime fan, that really negatively affected my opinion of the book.

I really like what IDW and Furman have been doing with the license. Although I'm not crazy about the current Revelations storyline being produced through a series of Spotlight issues, I'm still eagerly anticipating each new issue. I just wish the art was as good on IDW's Transformers books as it was on Dreamwave's.

5. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I buy Young X-Men and X-Force, but other than that all I buy comic-wise are the TF comics. So yeah, same for me, too.

6. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's pretty much the same for me too. I started with only TF comics as a kid, but as I grew and my allowance grew, then I got a job, I started collecting more titles. I continued for a few years after the Marvel TF series ended (and got all of the G2 series) but when I moved out of CA, I stopped collecting comics completely. A few years later, I had to go to the comic shop when the Dreamwave series started, and before long I got back into other comics that I had been collecting before, mostly DC. So TFs got me into comics collecting twice.

7. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You just quoted my life in comics exactly. I remember I went into a K-Mart and they had the bagged 3 pack of issues 7-9. I remember reading them and thinking whoa, what the heck is happening and where is everybody. Best run of the series there by the way. I knew I had to find the others. My memory is fuzzy on the rest as far as order but I did manage to get the 3 packs for 10-12 and the the giant magazine for the rest of the issues. Eventaully I found the 3 packs for 1-3, 4-7 and 13-15 but the early ones were second printing I believe. I still have them to this day so I'll have to go through them. I read them over and over.

I really didn't know about comics or where to get them. One day, many years later I walked into a gas station and I see transformers issue 29. Once again, I am thinking what the heck is going on. From then on a weekly trip to the grocery store I picked up G.I. Joe, Amazing, Spectacular and Web of Spiderman, Hulk, and Captain America along with TF. This was back in the day when comics came out on a schedule and I knew which week everything would come out at. It was TF though that started my comic love and never stopped since.

Sorry for being so long but this was a great trip down memory lane.

8. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

The summer kicks off the 12 issue maxiseries "All Hail Megatron", featuring our favourite band of cons actually taking over the planet for once. Good jumping on point I would think.

For me, I started on the G2 comics. My first TF issue was G2 #1 with the shiny multi-gate cover, with EXTREME Prime in front. How typically 90s! Still I enjoyed the run and collected all 12 issues. Still have them today. Of courseI went back and read the G1 issues for both MArvel US and UK. I've been collecting every single Transformers issue since Dreamwave Transformers and still religiously follow IDW's stuff.

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I love Transformer comics, they've attached me to much closer to brand in my adult life than the cartoon.

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Pretty much, I pick up other stuff on the side occasionally (Zombies Vs. Robots, Halo Uprising), but TF shite is where its at.
    DN

11. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    The idw Tf-verseisactually the version of the franchise I like the most. It's more militaristic then the other stuff, which I feel TF should be like: 2 huge robotic military factions fighting for the fate of the universe.

12. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I love all of the TF Comics.

I have pretty much the entire Marvel US and UK runs. The DW run and now the IDW run.

The only stuff I dont have are the new TFUK Magazines. The US IDW TF Magazine is a joke.

I would like more Beast Wars comics and I just hope the TF Editor for IDW will not them get away with the slop we got the past 6 months(Im looking at you SPOTLIGHT Grimlock).

13. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't wait for that, and I love your sig! I would love to see a bigger pic of that, very nice :D 

I myself love comics, though I don't post in the comic forum much, I can't afford all the recent IDW titles, I do have some of the Spotlight Issues, those are really sweet. I have to get a Megatron Origins as well.

I do get the TFC comics, and really enjoy them, I wish they were every month, I wouldn't mind paying more.

I recently picked up the first 16 Marvel issues in TPB in Philly around Botcon time, I hope the whole original series gets that treatment :rock 

I would love to get all the UK comics in TPB, but haven't gotten that far yet lol

I have all of the DW G1, WW and TF/GI Joe stuff

I have a bunch of original GI Joe comics I got free in a DVD lot, they are awesome, I really forgot how good those were. Larry Hama is awesome.

14. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

To be one hundred percent honest I have no idea which comic book series started me off on the collecting bug. I do recall having a few DC titles like the Death of Superman or something from the late 80's, a couple of wierd comics I can't recall at this time if I still had them maybe. There was Archie of course, Archie's TMNT stuff a couple of free Say No To Drugs related Spidey titles a few Joe titles that I lost/misplaced/let go and the kicker I think, the one comic book series that really held my attention back when I was around eleven or so and that was Sonic the Hedgehog.

Yep, Sonic the Hedgehog. That's the one series that I've been following the longest, when seven eleven stopped stocking comics for awhile there I lost out on a lot of issues, but then Wal-Mart started stocking comics and bang I was going strong again. Dreamwave Transformers and Devil's Due/Image's GIJoe is what made me get a Comic Bin at last so I could put aside every title I wanted every month and pick them up with the cash I earned.

I recall seeing Transformers G2 Comics on the shelf, but for some reason I didn't really get that many comics back in the 90's except Sonic... Oh right, because I couldn't afford that many and Sonic was my mainstay. :lol 
    Then came the late 90's and one year in particular I started my BUY EVERY TITLE MARVEL PUTS OUT PHASE! (About a month later that ended pretty damn quick I'll tell you.)
    So yeah I can honestly say that Transformers didn't get me started with Comics, Sonic the Hedgehog did. Hey I was like two years old when Marvel G1 started and so even if I had gotten some of them in the later half of the 80's I was like six or seven by then and since neither of my parents were comic collectors I wasn't told to keep them in good enough shape. Probably trashed them if I did get any TF comics or misplaced them during one of our many moves, could have accidentally sold them at a garage sale, who knows.

Nowadays though I keep everything, bagged and boarded for storage purposes to boot. But my biggest collection by far still has to be Sonic, GIJoe and Transformers are probably catching up by now counting all the DW/IDW and Titan Trades I've got, but if I managed to score ever back issue for Sonic it'll still be the biggest collection I'll have.

Marvel's run though is a big favorite of mine and now I've got the U.K bug. Unfortunately so far my Marvel U.K collection is limited to IDW's reprints of Target 2006, Dinobots and Space Pirates. Hopefully though soon I'll be able to up that count with the manga edition Titan black & white reprints.

15. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

Scrapper6 you just took me back in the day when I could pick up comics at 7 eleven lol.

I started collecting comics with Spidey & Archie exclusively. I then branched out to include Robotech, Green Lantern (my dad was a big GL fan), Batman, and a few TF comics here and there.

I've collected Image books over the years as well but my mainstay has always been Spidey and Batman (oddly enough, I only collect Ultimate Spidey now, Amazing spidey is utter garbage. Batman books have always been cool.)

Dreamwave was my favorite run for the Transformers books. I even like Pat lee's work (looks around for Pat Lee bashers). His style was hip hop/ graffiti to me - exagerrated poses, big feet, bright colors, characters with attitude.

Anyways, I'm not that big a fan of the new IDW books. The stories bore me. Except for Megatron Origins, Spotlight Wheelie, Reign of Starscream because those books are pretty much self contained and dont get bogged down with IDW continuity jargon. All the "ation" books are snore inducing and have weak art. Just my opinion of course :)