It's about Fans and staying true to Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Mattamus Prime, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattamus Prime

Mattamus Prime Well-Known Member

First off... I started a brand new account. So I've been on this site for a while, I'm not new.

It's about Fans and staying true to Transformers.
    That's what this movie (and the last one), were all about. That's why they are awesome. Critics who don't know Transformers, should not even reveiw this movie. Don't bother! It will still make $200 Million dollars in a matter of days.

Remember a movie called "The Phantom Menace?" This movie was reviewed as a good movie by Ebert... yet he trashes ROTF. WOW! You call Phantom Menace good but ROTF bad???

Lets reflect:

Lucas wrecked an entire Generation of Star Wars fans with those three terribly crappy movies. They didn't listen to fans, the movies were god awful in almost every single way. I was a die hard Star Wars guy for ever too, I never thought I could hate anything Star Wars as much as those three movies. They were all bad... even after years of crappy reviews Lucas kept making more and more crap. Each one better than Phantom... but not by much. The fans... generally... were pissed off. Some... are still pissed off (like me). I waited 21 hours outside the theater for Episode 1. Lucas was not true to fans or to Star Wars at all.

Then you look at another series... Lord of the Rings. They got as close as they could to perfecting these movies. It was all about staying true to the books, while honoring the fans, and the entire universe of Lord of the Rings. Jackson was true to the creators, fans, etc. Or at least... as much as they could. Now of course not "everyone" thought these movies were perfect, but nearly 20 academy awards between the three movie doesn't lie. Perfect example of staying true to the Lore and the fans as well as the books.

Now you look at Transformers. I am a G1 geek. Everything G1 right here. From a fan perspective, Michale Bay and the writers pleased the fans and stayed true to Transformers, and that's the important thing. So both moviesgot bad ratings... who cares. I think it's funny. Phantom Menace was "good" yet "ROTF" wasn't. Give me a break. Personally, I liked the 2nd one better than the first in lots of ways. I love them both for their own reasons but still.... if you're a fan... chances are, you loved this movie. If you are not a fan, do not know anything about Transformers, and walk into a movie like this expecting academy awards and stuff... forget it! This movie is not for you. Fans are pleased and that's all that matters. Staying true to the Transformers Universe. Not... making a movie that appeals to everyone. Screw "everyone!" it's not about you. It's about the fans, the fans are what makes these things happen. General public will go watch this stuff anyway. So thanks for your $10 for admission... but if you stay true to the fans, stay true to the lore, and don't cater every movie for the general public, you'll end up with a smash hit every time.

Try to please the masses, the non fans, and the general public... it doesn't always work out. You please the fans... you can't lose!

Michael Bay, Orci, Kurtzman, the whole gang.... Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank you!

The movie was great. Met my expectations, I'm pleased that a Transformers geek like myself can say! Sweet! They stayed true to the fans! That's all that matters.

P.S. Ebert! You're a terrible movie critic anyway. Always have been. No one liked Phantom Menace but you.

2. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of TF (more of an anime mecha fan), but it seems to me that quite a lot of older TF fans here criticized the film. Perhaps the different reactions are down to age difference ... ?

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    5. No Alternate ID's
    You and any alternate ID's will be permanently banned immediately. If you're sharing your computer with a roommate or family member, please contact us to avoid bannings.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Um, you lost at "Critics who don't know Transformers, should not even reveiw this movie. Don't bother!" Movie critics review movies, and ROTF is a movie. Doesn't matter if they are fans or not. Stop crying in your soup that ROTF is has trashed by the critics. Enjoy the film for the qualities that you liked about it. Nothing more, nothing less.

5. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Since you seem to be inviting a point/counterpoint, even though I'm tired of arguing back when everyone claims that this movie stayed true to the Transformers, I'll bite. Again.

Please tell me how these things stayed true to G1:

1. The two most offensively racist caricatures since Buckwheat and The Looney Tunes Crows.

2. Devastator with balls.

3. Jetfire the robo-pirate who farts fire.

4. Wheelie the Decepticon who humps legs.

5. Marijuana humor.

6. Dogs screwing.

7. The fact that 90% of the Transformers were relegated to side characters while the G.I. Joe characters fight the good fight.

8. Optimus Prime the Punisher executing disabled Decepticons with extreme prejudice.

9. Alice the robo-slut with her stabby penis tail and lasso tongue.

10. Robot heaven. With clouds. And a human guy who goes there. ROBOT HEAVEN.

Really, true to G1? Really, fan-pleasers? Really???

6. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

You sir, win this thread!

7. Usagi-Prime

Usagi-Prime FIRRIB

But it's pleasers to the common movie-goer, which really suggests the bright future of our world :D  (J/K) <3

8. Mattamus Prime

I contacted the admin and no reply

Sorry... Used the same screen name I think. Id rather use my old account... however, no one got back to me with my user name and password.

My account is set up under an e-mail that I no longer use so... Unless someone gets back to me with that user name and password. That account is dead... and the new one begins:) 

P.S. Yes I know movie critics review movies... but it's like reviewing Lord of the Rings without ever reading the books. If you don't know all the history and stuff behind Transformers... then maybe you should check with the true fans... see how THEY liked the movie. Because unless you're a fan yourself how are you just going to go trash a movie that all the fans love. Okay fine... if the general public doesn't like it... it will show in the $$$$ right:)  I'd say despite critics skeptical reviews... the general population loves this movie. Fans love this movie, only people squawking, are the critics. Probably so they'll get more hits on their websites. I get it.

9. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Where did he say stay true to G1? He said stay true to Transformers which the movie does. The basic premise is still the same Autobots vs Decepticons, fate of world based on the outcome of their war.

I'll agree there is some crap in the movie but I'll watch 5 minutes of crap to see over 2 hours of awesomeness.

10. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    You know, like Michael Bay.

I think you're assuming that the people who know things about Transformers are the ones who love this. I know quite a bit about Transformers, which is why I despised the movie with a venomous fiery passion. The people in my neck of the woods I talk to who think this movie is the greatest thing since cotton pants? They've never watched a Transformers cartoon, read a comic, or owned a toy. They know Bayformers '07...and THAT'S IT. THAT is the target audience. What separates film critics from these folks? Thought and articulation, mainly. Pesky intellectuals.

P.S.
    Cotton pants rule.

11. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Phantom Menace was fairly good. Its awful points were the over use of Jar Jar and the awful acting of Jake Loyd who in my opinion completely trashed the movie. At least Phantom Menace had an interesting and deep storyline with serviceable directing and action sequences.

12. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Sorry, re-read my post and tell me how those ten things are true to Transformers. Find me instances of those things in any other Transformers series. Go on. Please find them.

13. megatron784

megatron784 Well-Known Member

i thought the movie was good, i mean yeah there is alweys something to pick out a movie and complain about but overall i thought it was a good flick.

14. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I'll agree with you. Much like Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Phantom Menace is a freaking masterpiece next to Revenge of the Fallen.

15. Mattamus Prime

Hey bro... I hear ya on all that stuff. That's just Michael Bay appealing to the masses in his own way. I don't like it either. Surely a couple little goofy things here and there aren't going to spoil it all though eh? My point is this... and yes... I want to envoke all kinds of feedback from everyone positive or negative so... go for it people. I love it:) 

Yeah... I don't think you're going to see giant robot testies, weed jokes, and seductive aliens in the G1 cartoons or any other cartoons for that matter. All the sex and drug references are all "little bits of crap" directors and writers put in to make this movie "funny, whitty, or whatever," but appeals to the general public, not us true fans (us fans hate that shit, you and nme both). Example: Mudflap and Skids were a bit racist... take the gold tooth out and he could have gotten away with it. But I did like Alice... The pretenders came out after the G1 cartoon was done... and I had a bunch of them. It was a simple nod to G2 if you ask me.

So... mostley, I agree with you... this movie is not perfect, but I liked it... A LOT. I can get past all the crap that was thrown in though. The crap that was thrown in not to appeal to the fans... but the general public, kids, etc.

You see what I'm saying. If we didn't have to throw that stupid stuff in there to appeal to the masses... the Fans would be pleased even that much more. We could have done without all that stuff... but those are just little stupid things I'm not going to let ruin the movie for me. For the most part... I FEEL THAT THEY BOUNCED A TON OF FEEDBACK OFF OF FANS, and the fans got what they wanted. I did. I got exactly what I expected. Allthough... too much of that stuff can ruin the movie. Maybe some critics felt there was too much. I expect the amount of cheese that it did have.

What I cared about as a fan.... good characters from the originals, Ravage, Soundwave, Constructicons, etc., lots of robot on robot fighting, good story, sweet transformations, more robot on robot interaction (Megs and Starscream), and not so much cheese (I didn't luck out on the cheese but all the other things made up for it). Not looking for Oscars here... just to make it as real as possible while getting all the key players in there their just due.

The more you bounce feedback off fans the better the movie turns out.

Okay so Lord of the Rings, Trasnformers, and Batman are making up for Episodes 1 2 and 3 okay.... THERE I SAID IT! The truth comes out. Lucas screwed up my brain.

16. Mattamus Prime

P.S. I wasn't saying "everything" was true to to the Lore... just most of it. I hate all the things you guys pointed out too.... that's movie making in today's world unfortunately.

It seems most of the fans are agreeing most fully on all the things they didn't like.

What about all the great things though. Certainly outweighs the bad.

overall... I think as a fan... you've got to love this movie.

I couldn't get past Jar Jar... never will.... but Mudflap and Skids for example... at least they didn't suck... the whole time... just at times;-)

Man I miss my nerd friends back home:) 

17. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:

I wish I could agree with you, but those two sentences were how I felt about the 2007 film. But RoTF, to me, is about 10% good and 90% bad. I can't get behind it.

18. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Define true fan.

19. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Who, me or the OP?

20. BHB

BHB Well-Known Member

This.

Thread Status: