It's 1985. Hasbro wants you to help make a TF feature film...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

...go from there.

Some of my story points:

*Prime doesn't die, though some Autobots do.

*Prime gets severely damaged, but gets the Powermaster upgrade at the climax when he battles Galvatron.

*Yep, Megs gets reformatted into Galvatron. Less for survival, more for the chance at the power of Unicron.

*Hot Rod is just a regular, non "Chosen One" character.

*The Matrix's power is given the Furman backstory.

That's all I have for now. What would you do in the driver's seat?

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    How about we kill all the old toys, and hire some celebrity voice actors?

But seriously, I like the Powermaster idea, but maybe have Optimus sacrifice himself in the end to destroy Unicron, giving his death more of a purpose than just being the result of a lucky shot.

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I would make sure history unfolds just the way it does now, and then I will light and smoke my cuban cigar while I enjoy the cries and screams of thousands of little children (for they are music to my ears) who lock themselves up in their bedrooms, crying over the death of their beloved Optimus Prime.

Har har har.

4. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Have Optimus die at the end of the movie instead of 1/3 of the way in..

5. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Ratchet and Ironhide wouldn't die, And Optimus prime wouldn't die in the first 20 minutes of the movie, instead he and Hot Rod would play the leading roles, with Springer, Arcee, Daneil, and Ultra magnus still being introduced and all, but not playing quite as prominent roles.

But Prime would sacrifise himself at the end of the Movie to stop Unicron.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why change whats not broken? I would just have a longer autobot city fight scene and cut out the damn Junkion dancing! Seriously, the movie needs Bruticus, Menasor, Defensor, Omega Supreme.... not a bunch of robots we don't care about dancing and kissing Grimlock.

7. Excelsior Prime

Interesting...a lot of you would still kill off Optimus. I see this as the movie's biggest flaw. Granted, it's what's given the movie it's iconic status, but I still think Prime needed to survive. G1 would've gone on much longer in animated and toy form had Prime not been offed.

8. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    "Hey, why don't we get that guy Floro to make some stuff for us"

I would not change anything.

9. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I think it was more the jarring "guess what he's dead now" nature of every single death in the movie that turned people off.

10. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I posted this in an earlier thread, but I've elaborated on a couple points:
    A couple other things:
    *I'd incorporate a scene similar to the IDW adaptation of the movie which explains where Superion, Defensor and Omega Supreme were during the fighting in Autobot City.
    * I'd play up the fact early on that the Autobots are sorely underpowered and have been run roughshod by the Decepticons - older guys like Ironhide and Brawn would probably have spots of battle-damage still evident, for starters; this would help set up the fact that they're in a condition relatively weaker than they normally were during the show and thus would go some way toward reasoning how a blast from Megatron's fusion cannon could drop'em like flies now when the most it could do on the show was bang up their shoulder plates.
    * The Matrix that didn't exist inside Optimus in "A Prime Problem" would be explained by establishing that the Matrix is made entirely of energy, akin to the Creation Matrix of the Marvel comics, assuming tangible form when it needs to be passed on to its next custodian.
    *I'd get rid of the cheesy-even-by-'80s-standards metal soundtrack. The only tracks that would likely remain are "The Touch" and "Dare To Be Stupid", but apart from that, let DiCola handle the rest of the music.

11. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I'd have to go with this. The '85 movie was revolutionary for what it was and what it did.

If I had to change something, I'd have the storyboards where you see the Autobots slaughtered put back in, I'd have Magnus actually ripped apart, and maybe a slightly longer Rodimus vs Galvatron fight at the end (but not too long, the point is that the powered up Hot Rod can easily take out Galvy).

Lastly, I'd make it so that the dialogue is easier to understand when the dinobots are on Quintessa and first meet Wheelie. Beryllium bologna and whatever Wheelie says before getting knocked off Sludge's head are damn near impossible to understand.

12. G1Decepticons

G1Decepticons Banned

well i dislike optimus Prime dieing so i would make him live. I would add all the stryboards to the movie which mostly took place at autobot city. Add other charcters in the battle that we did not see like hoist and grapple and skids. at autobot city. I woud have all the 84/85 line of autobot die except optimus prime,jazz,bumblebee,cliffjumper,perceptor,blaster,dinobots,omegasupreme,sunstreaker,and hound. Hot rod would be a non chosen character. I would add the stunticons and combaticons to the autobot city battle. Add the scripts like shockwave dieing. skip the dare to be stupid dance. So yea i would keep prime from dieing show the 84/85 line autobots dieing. I would of kept omegasupreme,and and aerialbots,protectabots out of it. I would show gears getting destroyed by unicron because he was on the moon that unicron ate. that is pretty much it.

13. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    A lot of the 1986 toys probably didn't appear in the movie because its production began quite some time before the 1986 line was actually finalised.

Remember, in those days there was no email/internet, and Hasbro and Takara were basically going back and forth over Phone/Fax and Smail mail. Deadlines were probably pretty tight.

Whatever the pace, were it not for Takara and Hasbro working together, Transformers probably would never have come about.

The movie marked a point at which they started to go in different directions, and it undermined the brand in both North America and Japan.

The movie gets a cinematic release in Japan at about the same time as North America.

Some Autobots do die, but Prime is badly injured, meaning that new characters have to take the helm.

Megatron is still reformated into Galvatron. This is basically done because Hasbro are under pressure for marketing a realistic toy gun.

Although he makes a full recovery, Optimus takes more of a back seat in season 3, allowing them to highlight new toys.

The split continuity that began with Headmasters never happens and the two markets continue to get the same toys and cartoon.

With new cartoons still shown in North America, Transformers continues to be a top selling brand for Hasbro.

This in turn generates revenue for Hasbro, who in turn fund Takara's development of new toys,
    so the North American line doesn't become so heavily dependent on Pretenders and Micromasters.

Overlord gets a North American release.(!)

Action Masters never happen.

The line is never canceled in either market.

Generation 2 also never happens, but the advances that chracterised the line due to ongoing cooperation between the two companies still happen.

Maybe i got carried away there,but i firmly believe that if Hasbro and Takara were better able to co-ordinate, the line would never have gone through the slump that it did.

Also:

Spike ends every other sentence with "Shit" and then Daniel fails to save him from the Acid pool.

It will teach kids that they shouldn't swear.

14. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    um i actually liked the 86 movie.......the best Prime vs Megs fight till the Revenge of the Fallen with them in the forrest

15. decepticron09

decepticron09 Well-Known Member

i wouldnt change it, i would leave the past in the past. i actually have only seen bits and pieces of the cartoon movie, and to tell you the truth i didnt really like it that much but i respect it for what it did with making all the other transformers universes possible. i watched some of the cartoon itself and liked it but im not a fan of the cartoon movie itself.

16. Excelsior Prime

So A) you haven't watched much of the movie and B) you didn't like what you did see.

So why bothering posting at all?

17. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

-Cyclonus, Scourge and the Sweeps come from probably no-name Decepticons from a patrol that had the misfortune of encountering Unicron earlier in the film.
    -I would have changed some of the deaths. Have some of the Season 2/ incoming Season 3 Autobots buy it on th shuttle (Tracks, Outback, Skids, who would actually have had his biggest role ever, and maybe Hoist)
    -Prowl, Ratchet, Ironhide, Brawn and the other Season 1 characters would have gotten updated forms to match with the then future of 2005
    -Prime would have survived the Siege of Autobot City, and damaged badly destroying Unicron. The Autobot medics Firs Aid, Ratchet, Wheeljack, and Perceptor would have then spent the first few episodes of Season 3 repairing Optimus, giving him the Powermaster body.
    -Starscream would have gone into business for himself between 1985 and 2005, forming his own faction (The Brigade) using supporters he can find (the Combaticons, Ramjet, Thrust and Dirge)
    -Megatron would have gotten a new updated form, but retained his mind and name

18. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

I like the Powermaster idea too. Prime's death was one of the best scenes in the original, so I'd have him die but return somehow in Powermaster form. Galvatron I'd have as a new character, perhaps with some shared lineage (ancient ancestor?) with Megatron. Maybe have Optimus and Ultra Magnus take them both on at the end. I definitely wouldn't kill Ironhide and Starscream, and I would show what happened Ie some would die some would live on) to all the season 1 and 2 bots that are supposed to have died offscreen. Devastator would make it inside the city in a terrible scene, killing a number of Autobots before being incapacitated in a longer, more brutal fight with the Dinobots. Thundercracker and Skywarp: either they survive, or when they're reformatted (don't they both become Sweeps?) they retain their original colours to differentiate them from the clones. Perhaps they even retain their original Seeker head designs too.

As far as missing characters, all the season 2 combiners would make it into the film, as well as Jetfire and Omega Supreme. Some of these teams would die in a combiner battle royale at Autobot City. The battle at the beginning, I would increase it in scope, with hundreds of re-paints to make it seem hopeless for the Autobots. I would emphasise the 'army' aspect of both sides, as opposed to them being small-ish squads (ie surely there must have been Autobot armies on the moons, why weren't they shown? what happened to them?) I'd keep Unicron. In terms of omissions, Junkion dance scene would go for sure.

Something that would be good would be a special release that has the missing storyboards of those Autobots deaths and other scenes animated and inserted into the film. It'd never happen of course, but still.

19. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't change the first 20 minutes FOR ANYTHING. Prime's ultimate sacrifice gave the movie its balls and emotional weight... I'd have him die just as he did. I'd have Starscream die just as he did. After Starscreams death, though, I'd totally rewrite the movie. Jochimus ideas about Starscream's ghost being the force behind Galvatron's instability would be one definite inclusion. The Matrix Power up (Arise Rodimus Prime) would be retained. But all the dancing and dumbness and Ultra Magnus strange death... gone. The Junkions would be kept, but it would play alot different.

Funny how much ROTF and The Original have in common. Beginning is great, middle is okay but seems too long, ending is good.

20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    It's 2009.