It looks like AFA finally has competition

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Malach Ra, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  2. joopsta

joopsta loves Animated

News Credits:
    TF's shouldn't be put in a plastic jail! They need to breath.

3. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    LOL

4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, while I still disagree with the whole 'toy grading' issue (purely on principle alone... just don't like the fact that someone can slap some numbers and a pretty box on a toy and than, voila!, it's price goes up unrealistically), but at least this company is consistent based on what's being said here and that was always a big grip I had against AFA. They always seemed to grade things on a whim.

Hopefully, these guys give them a run for their money... and if they'll actually grade open toys and are more thorough with their grading system than they probably will.

5. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I'd just wish they'd sell UV cases that could be opened and closed for private storage and display use.

6. the.collection

the.collection Member

I will agree to the AFA inconsistency, thats why I never had them grade anything, I love my loose toys but my sealed ones I do want graded but never wanted to waste money with AFA, I have several friends that get stuff graded and they cant stand the inconsistency plus they complain about the turnaround times. I do like the the way this new company does their grading. Up to 6 subgrades, and then averaged out grade. NICE
    BQ= Box Quality
    BC= Box Color
    WQ= Window Quality
    WT= Window Transparency
    FQ= Figure Quality
    FC= Figure Color

7. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    anything that takes buisness away fromm AFA is pure win in my book.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Agreed. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with them when you send stuff, bro.

9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow. Those grading prices aren't bad. Thanks for the heads-up. ^_^

10. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Ferrero Rocher boxes are perfect for fitting loose G.1 '84 cars in them.
    [​IMG]
    I do that :D  My own personal grading.

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    :lolol 

12. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    my atrfire, jpn. white astro, browning, and megs are off the auction block and will be making their way to this grading company at the beginning of the new year.

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    AFA sells boxes with a sliding bottom for boxed stuff and can do them by custom mesures aswell. They also come in uv light.

will see hwo this company does.

14. the.collection

the.collection Member

well I think I will go ahead as well and ship several out right after Christmas, at least it sounds like they would be fair with the grading, and I have looked at the other items on ebay that people have up from them and the etched logo looks cool. And I agree, prices are very fair after I checked out the site.

15. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    So does Oscar's Cases. Better prices too.

16. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Well-Known Member

i'll be sending all of my ungraded misb g1's to CSG. AFA is to inconsistant.

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Not a fan of MISB or sealing stuff in cases, but it sure would be nice to see the craptastic AFA monopoly take a huge hit.

18. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    1. Notice that the seller is in South Carolina. Notice the grading company is in South Carolina.

2. We have never seen toys graded by "CSG" before. This guy is the first one on the entire internet to have even mentioned them. Try googling them. Nothing comes up.

3. Go to CSG's website. A couple of this guy's graded toys are "spotlighted".

4. The seller tries to distance himself too much from CSG in his description. If you were the first person on the entire internet to even be mentioning this new company, wouldn't you do a better job explaining how you came across them?

This all makes me think there's a 99.999% chance that this guy is connected to CSG. Like, he runs CSG or something like that. That's not to say that CSG doesn't have the potential to be very good. They might very well be awesome. But I don't recommend trusting the opinion of a guy who probably runs the place...

One thing I think is interesting is the finer gradiations in grades. It does kind of piss me off when I get a bunch of 90s back from AFA and think to myself, okay, so which of these is the BEST 90 and which is the WORST 90? This new scale makes more sense. I mean, they've been doing it for comics for years. I would not be surprised if AFA switched to this new scale to compete.

Seperating out the color from quality is interesting as well. On the one hand, it's nice to have the extra precision, but on the other hand I wonder whether it's really necessary. It almost seems like an advertising ploy to me "Look at us! We have 3 more subgrades than AFA does!!"

They have potential, but I'll wait to see more things graded from them and hear more experiences about them before I try them. One suspicous guy on Ebay doesn't really satisfy my concerns about a new place handling $500+ toys for me. I've been burned enough by scammers and morons that I don't trust people that easilly with valuables.

It will be interesting to see how competition affects AFA. Hopefully it makes them better their service, but who knows. One thing is for sure, AFA-graded items aren't going to go away. So much stuff has been graded by AFA, that those items will be around for forever...

19. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    As someone who has probably sent more than 50 items to AFA, I know first hand that their grading is VERY consistent. People who complain about the grades they get are usually overlooking flaws in their toys that AFA won't ignore. Plus, grading is subjective to some extent, so what may seem like a 90 to you may seem like an 85 to someone else. It's not an exact science.

That's not to say AFA doesn't have other problems. In particular, they don't know how to sort the 1990's Chinese releases from the original US 80's releases. And they designate the recent knockoffs as "China Reissues". Basically, they have big identification issues. But inconsistent grading is not one of their problems.

Also, see my post above about how the seller must have some connection to CSG. Don't rely wholy on what he says, since he's clearly biased.

20. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Well-Known Member

there is also other items from different sellers using them. Check these out..ebay item #'s 170179245306 and 170179247032