It just never ends. (PC Problem)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Metal Chaos, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Back in 2008 I had a custom PC built for gaming, this past march it broke so I took it back to the guy to fix it. He fixed it and it cost $133 for labor and s/h for the RMA'd materials. I got it back around may and was just now able to hook it up after getting my room fixed up and a desk put in. Plugged the PC up, turned it on and low and behold it still doesn't work.

So i took it back up to the guy to talk to him about it, turns out he died a few weeks after fixing it :(  (I'm gonna miss you Mike, RIP) so I talked to his wife and son. His son is a nice guy just like he was, his wife on the other hand was extremely rude. My PC has been in a box since may and not been used at all. She exclaimed "look at all this dust!" "this has been used, it didnt leave like this the last time" so she pretty much outright called me a liar. I really hate people like that, also there is no dust on the PC at all, maybe a spec or 2 but no loose or recent dust. They're gonna look at it and see what the problem is and call me, hopefully they will fix the problem this time instead of just slamming a new motherboard in there. I have a feeling the video card needs replacing as it's the only part they didn't replace last time other than the CPU. I just don't wanna have to pay for it all over again, because they sure as hell didn't fix it the first time.

I'm hoping to get this fixed once and for all because I'd very much like to game after getting home from work, is that too much to ask for?

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Get a console.

;) 

3. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Whatcha mean by "doesn't work?" Describe the effects. Does the CPU get power? Does the monitor displays the BIOS? Do you get gibberish on the monitor?

I once fixed my ex-computer by reversing the fan on her CPU. Someone may have reverse it to get air into the CPU (little because it was deeply in the box) instead of out of it, which takes the air to another fan.

4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

If I had a PC worked on, I'd make damn sure it worked as soon as I got it home. Not almost 3 months later. I'd say you're SOL

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

^...that. Don't get pissy cause you didn't check to see whether or not your computer was fixed correctly way back then. It's your own fault so live and learn.

6. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    This.

7. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Nah it was the fact I trust Mike, still do. when he says something is fixed it's fixed. found out that his brother did all the work last time because he was sick during that time. Mike was a great guy and I'm gonna miss him a lot, his brother i dont know too well though. (also i had no where to hook my PC up for a while, my room was being remodeled since I got back, done for now though, hence why I decided to hook my rig up)

Anyways the PC gets power, it just doesn't boot. IE screen stays blank, no start up process or anything. They are gonna look at it and get back to, hopefully soon. I suspect is anyone did shoddy work it was Mike's brother and not himself.

8. J.H.N

J.H.N the HARSH one

sad to hear about your friend passing but trust or not, you didnt check the work now you pay the price. I do hope though that everything works out for you and your comp gets up and running soon.

9. TheIncredibleHulk

Its still your fault because you didn't check the computer when you got it back. I'm sure there are other power outlets in the house that you could have connected it to real quick to check it out.

10. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    That's nice you can think mr. hulk. I'm more or less mad that the woman was as rude as she was.

11. TheIncredibleHulk

Somebody's got to do it I guess ;) 

12. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    not meaning to be rude or anything, it's just that usually when i see you you're throwing cars at people and screaming "hulk smash".

13. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Should've checked it out when you got it back. No ifs, ands, or buts.

If they help you and it costs you nothing, or is quite affordable, you're getting off easy.
    If they help you and it costs an arm and a leg (which it will), you're getting what the rest of us do.

This is why studying computers as a hobby is a great idea. Even a hobbyist can do what your friend Mike could do, the only difference is he was certified and made money doing it. You wouldn't be certified, but you'd know for damn sure what's in your computer and whether or not it's working. Oh and yeah...how to fix it.

14. TheIncredibleHulk

I'm in my "Banner Hulk" phase

15. TheIncredibleHulk

This is pretty much how I've learned everything I know about computers. Started with my friend's computer when I was 8, learning DOS commands and Windows 3.1. My family didn't own a computer until I was in high school. 23 years later now, and do technical support for a living.

16. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Eh I know quite a bit about computers, but i just dont feel like messing with mine. Besides mine's under warranty with the store I got it from, so I don't feel like fixing it myself when it can be done for free. All I paid for last time was labor and s/h for the RMA'd materials. No idea what went wrong with it as I had figured it was a probably a bad PSU that had causes a short in the mobo but both those were RMA'd and new ones put in. Still happening and I have no clue as to what is causing it, could be a bad CPU or video card. But like I was saying it's under warranty with their store and don't feel like voiding that warranty by taking it apart myself cuz in the end I'm gonna have to RMA something and they have all the paperwork on my parts. Even when I upgrade it I will have them install it even if it's something simple as a video card because it won't void my warranty and I like giving them my business, Mike was an awesome guy and I tried to get him as much business as I could and even though he's gone I plan to keep giving his store my business.

I do tech support for my friends a lot, don't get paid for it and it gets old having to deal with "hey man whats up........Can you help me with my computer?" so I tend to avoid working with computer problems as often as possible. I need that mug that says "NO I will not fix your computer" :p .

17. TheIncredibleHulk

If its under warranty, why are you having to pay anything?

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I started out on apple II's and worked my way to here.
    i can fix simple problems and hardware installs, but i am still a klutz at HTML.
    my mother would rather drink cyanide punch than google and read how to fix her PC ills, so i am the "IT" guy in my little family.
    so i have had to learn a bit. t'ain't a bad thing.

You gotta get yer hands dirty when it comes to cars and PC's.
    That way, you won't be afraid to work on them, and you won't get conned at the repair end.

simple as that.

19. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    That's what I asked them last time. Mike's brother claims it took him 4 hours to put everything together and that it counted as a labor charge and then he said the s/h to send the parts back to the manufacturer was another cost I had to pay back. I never met Mike's brother as I only called in to see how it was doing and Mike was out sick with his brother watching over the shop. I don't intend to pay ANYTHING this time as they clearly didn't test the rig to see if it was running properly and/or didn't fix it at all. To be honest I'm not sure if Mike's son and wife even know that his brother was the one who worked on it.

20. TheIncredibleHulk

Who is the warranty thru? The shop? Or the manufacturer?

When my laptop's hard drive started to go, I called Dell and they overnighted me a new hard drive and sent me a shipping label to send the old one in for free.

Sadly, you may not intend to pay anything for the work done this time, but I'd be surprised if they don't charge you. You really should have tested the computer when you got it home, no matter who worked on it. You can't prove it was broken when you got it back and they can't prove it was working when it left the shop.