It is to you I shall pass the matrix...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Brave Convoy, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Most seem to think that Optimus' choice of passing the matrix to Ultra Magnus was not the best choice. Hypothetically speaking, if Optimus had decided Magnus didn't have the right stuff or had accepted Magnus' declining of the offer, who else in that room would have been a better choice to take the matrix?

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    He only gave it to Magnus to hold, anyway. Magnus was only meant to be interim leader until the chosen one was identified. If that had turned out to be Magnus, then cool, but I never got the impression Optimus really thought it was.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Hot Rod, since by divine right he was destined to hold the matrix and bear it as an avatar of Primus itself, in a pivotal role against the chaosbringer Unicron.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  4. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

primus 's human mode look like rodimus prime and optimus prime pick hot rod

5. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    Since when did Primus have a human form?

6. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I don't know if Hot Rod was destined to open it. I've always thought that was more of a "right place, right time" thing. Wouldn't Springer have been able to open it if he had fallen out of that window instead of Hot Rod? Or Arcee?

The point of the thread is this: ignoring the whole matrix-opening deal and just focusing on the passing scene, who would have made a better interim leader than Magnus? My vote goes to Arcee, just because no one would have seen it coming, but I think she had just as much courage and strength as any of the other candidates...if not more.

7. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Not really human...but a less blocky Transformer look. It was in an old Marvel issue. He looked kind of movie-protoform-ish with a yellow spoiler like Hot Rod.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Nope. The same way Magnus couldn't open it. Or Galvatron.

Everything was set in motion by Vector Sigma. Which is why when Hot Rod does open it, Optimus speaks to him from the Matrix without any surprise as to who it is. The combined Primes within the Matrix knew who was going to open it and that Rodimus was to be the next leader.

Vector Sigma plays the long game and is extremely devious in how it uses all Transformers, both Autobot and Decepticon, to carry out its millions-of-years long plans.

9. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    Talking about this?

[​IMG]

Seems so subtle to me.

This I like though.

[​IMG]

10. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Magnus couldn't open it because he was trying to use it in a situation that can be likened to a flat tire compared to Hot Rod's situation, which could be likened to an hurricane.

11. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

No, that's Electrum Rodimus. :) 

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Also, his fingers didn't fit right. It wasn't meant for him.

13. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

How come Optimus was able to open it during the hate plague? Would Rodimus still have been destined to open it again and save the day? Or is a robot's matrix-opening destiny a one-shot deal?

Why didn't Hot Rod open the matrix in the Marvel comic issue 75? If he was destined to open it and destroy Unicron, how come Optimus was able to do it instead? And why could Powermaster Optimus Prime's fingers fit right? His fingers must have been bigger than Hot Rods. :) 

14. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    "Fate rarely calls on us at a time of our choosing."

anyways ....
    wasn't the only other bots present Grimlock and Arcee?
    Prehistorus Prime
    Femputer Prime
    :thumb s:

15. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I'm not familiar with that quote. It must be from a movie I saw and luckily have blocked from my memory. :) 

When Prime cacked, he was surrounded by Kup, Perceptor, Blurr, Arcee, Hot Rod, Magnus and Daniel. Not sure but Blaster and Springer may have been there too, maybe off screen. That means Blaster's entire tape library was eligible too. :) 

"Arise, Ejectimus Prime!" :) 

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Different universe, different writer, with a completely different origin of Unicron and the Transformers in general.

In the Sunbow cartoon, Vector Sigma is behind everything, whether you think of it as being sentient or a really sophisticated computer program. There is no Pimus, no "Chaos-Bringer", none of that stuff. The Transformers were a bunch of robots created by the Quintessons that eventually became sentient.

In the Marvel Comics universe, yeah, who knows what could have happened. Thunderwing opened the Matrix despite it being nobody's darkest hour. But Furman's mystical origin has zero to do with the cartoon continuity.

17. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I've always preferred the comic.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, I used to, too. It was only recently that I reversed my opinion.

19. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

My take on Transformers lore and legend is very unique to my own tastes. There are aspects about the comic I like, such such as the Primus vs Unicron origin, and there are aspects I don't like. Same goes for the cartoon. I focus on the aspects I enjoy, and I disregard the issues and episodes that don't work for me. Mine is a unique melding and blending of the two continuities. I'm not much of an "all or nothing" type of fan boy, so if there's something I don't like about the cartoons, such as Quintessons creating the Transformers and Unicron, then I just disregard it and plug the comic's origin in there instead. I understand how not all can do this though, and feel as though they have to follow what's been laid out for them by the powers-that-be. It's very similar to religion, and how many can't think for themselves and don't have the confidence to form their own opinions on which histories make more sense to them as individuals.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's easy to ignore, since it didn't happen. But I don't disagree with wanting to ignore the Sunbow Unicron origin.

And as far as my preference between comics and cartoons goes, I was only talking about the origin.