Customs: It is the year 2007 . . .

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey gang, I just wanted to jump in for a bit with an update on my end of things for those of you who are interested :) 

Many of you guys know I am a full-time grad student and a part-time youth pastor (and if you didn't now you know!). School this semester really kicked in right around the first of November for me. As the semester plowed on, my time spent on anything aside from my family and my work dwindled down more and more. Most of my work up until recently has been in the conceptual department (I make a point of continually generating customs ideas and such with word clusters and/or sketches).

As I saw my time having to be spent considerably more on family, school, and work, I knew my customs time would be minimal at best until the semester ended. Other than the conceptual realm, I mainly was able to just keep up with the customs section (I always try to keep up with what everyone here is working on).

One of the cool things that happened through all of this was one day on my way out, I found an art desk by the dumpster. Mind you, the desk is not condusive for 2-D illustration. However, the desk was a perfect replacement for the simple fold-out table I've been working on for nearly 2 years. I saved the table, cleaned it up, and took it upstairs to where I do my customs work. I knew I wouldn't be able to work on anything else until after finals, so I heaped all of my customs materials (paints, parts, etc.) on top of it so I would have to sort and clean in order to make another custom.

I'm excited to say that I was able to get things cleaned and organized to a workable state once again. I figured this was as good of way as any to start off 2007 for my customs :) 

I also bought a new shelf for my TFs to replace my 2 bookshelves I've had my TFs displayed on for nearly 3 years. I'm absolutely thrilled with this new replacement as I was also able to expand my ministry library to 6 bookshelves with the addition of the 2 that were being used for my TFs.

I've got some big plans for my customs work for 2007, and I've also got some 2-D work planned as well. I can't wait to update you guys again!

2. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, I'm probably #1 in line waiting for updates... ;-)

So, any pics of the new arrangement?

3. Superquad7

News Credits:
    None yet, I'm still in the process of cleaning the rest of the apartment . . . I'll keep you guys updated!

4. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    You better......or i'll call you every day untill you do !!!!!:) 

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    You can call me everyday anyways; you know me, I'll talk up a storm, hehe! It's always nice to bounce ideas off of others such as yourself.

Honestly, guys like you, Tundra, Squall, Sodawilly, Mark (from Marksprojects), TFM, Lobo, Devestator, and others have really kept me in the loop without actually being in the loop [with a current project]. My hat's off to all of you guys (those I listed and everyone else making customs) for keeping the custom TF art going. I'm just glad to contribute when I can :thumb 

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hav'nt even seen anything yet and you already got me all excited since I know there's something wicked coming from you

I was going to take a shot at a smaller bot , namely Beast Machines Mirage but can't think of a good scheme to paint him as. He's one of my favorite TF's though and I already did a Batmobile so that's out.
    Feel free to throw any ideas my way :lol 

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, wasn't there a Devcon planned for that mold for an OTFCC or Botcon at one point? That would be a cool idea to pursue.

Also, personally, I'm getting to where I want to create a character from the ground up. Totally inventing a character gives me a lot more freedom than making a homage. Especially with G1 homages, if a custom is too different, G1 fans start screaming about it (sorry, don't feel like going over to the movie threads today . . . :lol  )

In terms of my own work, with Alts, I usually start with what I want the alt mode to look like and then work a character (homage or new bot) around the alt mode. I think Alts/Bts are a tad different than others in that regard since the alt mode is so specific.

I hope that helps get you brainstorming CM. I can't wait to see what you (and the rest of you guys) come up with as well. I think 2007 will be a great year for customs, especially with the new movie drawing more and more fans in. :thumb 

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I look forward to seeing pics of the setup

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Do you understand his Southern Drawl? I need Hooked on Phonics: Southern Edition when I talk to him. :lol 

And great, this means more whoring out of his ALT Seekers I bet.

10. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    be nice, you whore out your razerwire just as much :p 

11. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I have done NO SUCH THING! I have not brought up my Razerwire thread in months! And plus it's free advertising for you if I did! :lol 

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I don't have un ahsent! Whut're yew talkin' 'bout??? :lol 

You bet! I'll DEFINATELY continue to "promote" my customs through shameless plugs!

Thanks for the props, RH.

Btw RW, Alt Mirage says my customs rock :lol 

13. Razerwire

News Credits:
    ALT Mirage says a lot of meaningless things!

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, if any of you are actually curious about my plans, I posted this a while back. This still continues to be my plan and since that post, I've actually made some progress. Interceptor is finished all but the labels; Streetwise even joined him (the very day that Takaratomy announced Autorooper as a matter of fact). I modded my Energon Arcee (which is now officially part of my Alts/Bts) with articuated elbows; I plan to do more with her as well (photos to come soon). My Boulder Hill is very near to being completed as well. I also still intend to give the all of the police Alts a graphics facelift, but I'll have to get new ink cartridges first :thumb 

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Shameless. :p 

16. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Hey, Allen's accent is minor compared to some of my Texas and Arkansas family members. I have an aunt who calls me "Sane" instead of my name "Shane." He speaks rather clearly on the phone, compared to some of the people I hear on a daily basis as part of my job.

So, any updates yet? I might have some updates with some of my work soon, if I get to finish my Sideswipe touchup. I just did some minor touches.

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the props, Sane . . . I mean Shane hehe!

My last post pretty much gets me up to speed with updating you guys on my progress. :thumb