It is normal to lose interest after awhile, am I right?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by robowarrior, Mar 14, 2012.

1. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    So, I've stopped collecting/purchasing for about a month now and to be honest, have lost quite a bit of interest in my collection. I know some people will say it's a phase and stuff, but I honestly see myself now getting rid of alot of my items and keeping certain gems that I own (maybe 2-3 figs).

I wouldn't say it's money issues or anything of that nature, it's just that I've been placing other priorities now in my life such as high end tech stuff, pro audio equipment, etc. and also now have a special someone in my life who is very supportive of my collection and finds it very entertaining. More than half of my collection currently is stored away in rubbermaid boxes as I've just lost so much interest in them...

But you tell me, is it normal to now lose the interest in collecting? I still love my collection but when I think about selling my collection, I think about the amount of Benjamins I would make from selling it.. you catch my drift? Get it Drift....:lol ... Lame... :redface2: 

2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Hobbies change and evolve over time for many, and for others people just lose interest. I've been in your place once or twice, first with Magic: THe Gathering years ago and then the 1/6th modelling hobby. Basically now all I do is paint minis for people and collect Transformers and GI Joe. I'm cutting down on those two toys now because I'm gonna be building a monster gaming rig in the next few months.

So yeah, I think it's pretty normal. It SHOULD be normal for people to evaluate their hobbies and determine whether or not money could be better spent elsewhere.

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Yes, it is normal to wax and wane. Just give yourself time to think about it so you don't wind up regretting it.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I... guess I'm lucky living in a country with shitty distribution. Right now every store's toy department is completely empty because school utensils season is still on. We have short (toy seasons) so I'm always waiting for more, and hunting for new toys when they do arrive is a thrill. Sure, we pay double for those toys but it seems to keep the interest aflame.

But yes, I suppose it's perfectly natural to go away from the hobby for a while (or forever). It happened to me soon after BW (no interest in Beast machines, collected some RiD, skipped trilogy almost completely).

5. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

Yeah, I'd say it's the normal ebb and flow of it all. You're going to have periods of more intense interest and others of little to none. Nothing out of the ordinary from what I can tell.

6. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    I would definitely say yes. My examples for collecting range from many areas in the past...and some I still collect as well:

Nascar (just the regular cheaper cars found at Retail)
    Star Wars (when Episode I came out, I became interested again)
    G.I. Joe (older toys that I looked for on Ebay)
    Comic books (I would stop and go with this, but won't bother anymore)
    Wolverine figures (Another interest that I won't start up again)
    DVD's (I will never stop buying these, lol)
    Video Games (I was at a stand still, until I finally purchased a PS3)

So to explain deeper on the above. Nascar lasted about one year, maybe two. I followed Mark Martin, so I had about 30 cars during that collecting mood that I was in. I ended up giving them away to a friend of mine who had a five year old son at the time.

Star Wars lasted two years, but since the toys were coming out in such a force (lol) that I couldn't keep up with...I had to slow down. I missed out on several items (that ended up being hard to find later on, of course), so that pissed me off to the point that I gave up on buying anymore. I eventually sold them off to different people in various lots.

G.I. Joe didn't last very long, since the Ebay prices were (and still are) ridiculous. I was in that "Trying to buy back my childhood toys" mood and only ended up getting a small handful of vehicles and figures. I gave them to my brother, since I knew that I would never complete my older set that I used to have.

I still own Comic Books, but haven't purchased one in close to four years. The price finally made me stop. It was hard for the first couple of weeks, but I managed to survive. When I stopped before (late 90's), it was because I was so busy with other things, that I didn't have the time to read them anymore. Not to mention that the writing seems more corny now than back in the 80's, and the artwork is too fancy for most characters. Even if comic books dropped down to two dollars an issue...I doubt that I would go back. At four dollars an issue, I just laugh at the idea of even buying one issue since that price point is just absurd.

Since I stopped with Comics, the Wolverine figure collecting also took a pause which turned into a complete stop. The figures seemed smaller, and the price went up. Plus they just didn't look all that appealing to me. They seem to make action figures for adults that look great...but cost around 200 bucks! Screw that noise!

DVD's are my main hobby/collecting interest that I have. I buy movies, tv shows (old and new), plus cartoons from the past...and some that are current that I happen to like. Eventually I should have everything that I want on disc, but even then...I will have to buy something new that comes out that I like.

Video Games. I've been playing video games since the Atari 2600 era, but didn't have my own system until the SNES. I was stupid and gave mine away (with all my cool RPG's) once I purchased my first Playstation. I sold that system (but kept the games) once the PS2 came out. I still have my PS2, since I needed it because my slim PS3 isn't backwards compatible. I own around 120 games (PS1-PS3), and although I love playing video games, my interest with this hobby will end with the PS3. TOO many changes to the hobby that are killing it in my opinion. So while I'll still play these games for many years to come...I just won't be buying any new systems/games after the PS3 era.

So there you have it. Oh, and I'm currently collecting the "Prime" line of toys for Transformers, but that is all. I think that it is quite normal to lose interest in something, and either move on to something else...or come back to that subject months/years later.

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Damn it, Reaper, how do you manage? I can barely keep up with one hobby, and had to stop getting Legos to focus on TFs. I loved building stuff.

8. Reaper Cloud

News Credits:
    That long rant wasn't all at once, lol. Most of the stuff in the beginning were solo interests at the time.

Right now, it's just DVD's, Video Games, and Prime toys.

9. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    You're infected with boredomitus. CLEANSE YOURSELF OF THE INFECTION!

10. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    Personally, this site helps keep my interest in all things Transformers.

My previous interests were LEGOs. (I'll get back into them, if they bring back a better castle, and pirates theme)

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I find that interest dies when there is nothing to collect. The bug exists when you feed it but during droughts it starts disappearing and at a great pace. I've been collecting steady since 95/96 when Beast Wars came about. I almost dropped out during AEC and the Movies but Classics and the dawn of the 3P era kept me in. Now with Classics in full force, Animated and Prime and the boom in 3P products my interest is higher than EVER.

BUT, a part of me is ready to give up on my old collecting habits and really focus on aspects of my collection. I use to collect every American AIRED show but I will be selling off my movie figures (first time I am selling anything from my collection in 12 years) and I have a feeling once I get into the groove my R.I.D and A/E/C figures will be on the chopping block.

I am really in to Prime, Generations and FOC and it seems like I want 80% of what is coming out via 3P groups. That's a lot of toys and a lot of expensive toys. Because of 3P what I want to focus my attentions on in regards to collecting is American Produced On Screen Cartoon figures.

All in all, I have seen many people come and go in this hobby so your feelings are not unusual. Heck if I can be brought to a point where I am going to refine my collection then anyone can be lead to dropping out. lol

12. HenshinTension

HenshinTension AKA the TokuNut!

Most definitely. I lost interest in Transformers about a year ago when most of the items coming out were Movie related and I wasn't all that interested after ROTF. So I actually branched out to another similar collection: Super Sentai/Power Ranger stuff. I was a Power Ranger nut when I was a kid but my family could never afford the Megazords that came out. I wanted those so badly! So now that I'm an adult (at least age-wise :D ) and have access to a decent amount of cash, I started to build a Super Sentai/Power Ranger collection. Then Transformers Prime FE and RID figures came out and now I've shifted focus onto those for now (although I am collecting the new Tokumei Sentai Go-busters stuff as well).

Long story short: yes it is normal to lose interest for a while. It's just like loving cake. You can eat a lot of it for a while but eventually you are going to get a little sick of cake for a while and want to try something else.

13. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I usually lose interest too within large time spans of not purchasing figures. Later this year when more Generations and RiD stuff comes out that might change though.

14. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm sure it comes and goes. Some very good opinions in this thread. THe one thing I would suggest is sitting on them for a while and see how you feel after some thought and time. Since it isn't a need for money or anything this would give you a chance to make sure it isn't just something that would pass.

15. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    I get what you guys are saying, but my gut feeling tells me, it's time to sell and let go of my collection. In all honesty, I probably won't regret it but at the same time I think about how much time and effort I've put into buying these figures, it's been a long 4yrs. since I started collecting and to think how much $$$$$ I've put into it, makes me feel now that I need to gain some of it back now for other more important hobbies in my life, example my music gear and high end tech items.

16. Reaper Cloud

News Credits:
    Well, one way to test how much you care for/appreciate the figures is to pack them away in boxes for a month.

This way, instead of selling them too fast, you can see if you begin to miss them. If a month passes, and you still have zero interest in the figures...or when you open the boxes and that old collecting spark isn't re-lit, then I'd say that selling them is not a bad move to make.

Some people regret selling their old items, so this is a way to possibly prevent that. :) 

17. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Yeah, like I said, I've had most of my collection put away in rubbermaid boxes now for a month. I've sold the majority of my movie collection, still have some lingering around that I'm trying to sell, but have sold a good chunk of it.

In a way I now feel they get in the way which is why now I'm really pushing myself to eventually start selling this stuff. I guess my time is up, it's time to let go.. but I'm really thinking hard and strong about it...

18. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Its normal...there is down time in everything...like others say...give it awhile...I have skipped DOTM and Prime so far...concentrating on other wants...

19. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Yes. I call it a bit of sanity.

20. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Sounds like you are out.