It is dangerous to remain here. You must leave within two days.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jupiter's stormy Great Red Spot is shrinking - CNN.com

A storm the size of THREE EARTHS has always blown my mind. The fact that it's shrinking doesn't really mean anything, I guess. I just think it's neat.

2. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

When you think about things in "universal" terms, our own conceptions of "big" and "important" really change. Really tough for me to wrap my mind around the idea that the sun is a small, weak star, and that the light from the stars we see in the sky often takes thousands and thousands of years to get to us. Some of those stars could actually be dead, though we see them every night. Freaky.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    There's all kinds of enormous stuff on other planets, which is fantastic. They've even got a volcano on Mars with an area the size of Arizona and a height three times that of Everest.

Boy, I'd love to go space exploring.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

It's just utterly amazing how this storm on Jupiter lasted so long... but, ah man... the Red Spot's starting to shrink...

I'm with Nachtsider... I would love to go exploring in space. Imagine all the amazing things in the universe to see.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS

EXCEPT EUROPA

ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE

USE THEM TOGETHER

USE THEM IN PEACE

i

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks, guy.

You know what really impressed me about him? Dude wrote a story about life there and gave a pretty solid presentation of it...and then, like thirty years later, Scientific American ran a comprehensive article about how if there was life anywhere else in the Solar System, it was there. Color me impressed and all that.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Sorry, couldn't resist. :) 

Wherever Clarke drew his sources from when he came up with that, he had a good idea going there. Where there's lots of ice, there's the potential for water, and where there's water...

In regards to the thread: I really hope nobody comes in here using this as a prediction of doom and gloom. The spot is a storm and, like storms, it will ebb and flow. Shit, it may ebb entirely. Either way, I'd be fucking amazed if it actually caused damage to Jupiter.

8. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

where can i reed it??

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The other point they made that I liked so much was that even without the Jovian sun, geothermal heat production secondary in large part to the gravitational effects of both Jupiter and the other moons would be sufficient to "feed" the development of life.

The discovery of extremophiles here certainly reinforces that point, although it makes spaceship-swallowing tangleweed critters less probable.

A good place to start might be Scientific American's website. But I'll be real, it's a little dense. I'm not so sure you'd enjoy reeding it.

10. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^Jovian? I thought that was just some term they made up for humans on Jupiter in Martian Successor Nadesco...

Also "Ancient Monster Storm"?

awesome phrase is awesome

11. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Nope! Nadesco didn't invent the word, they're referenced as the Jovian lizards because they came from the Jovian planets, aka Jupiter and that region.

12. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, the Universe is a pretty interesting place. Reading early today about a planet that the Hubble took a pic of back about eleven years ago, and the NICMOS saw it in 2007. They almost missed it because it was 10,000 less bright than the star it was near. That planet is over 7 times the mass of Jupiter. If we ever get to the point of light-speed travel, it would still take 130 years to reach the planet. Wow.

Not only is it fascinating what the Universe holds, but the fact that man, in our current technological state, has such ingenuity to discover all these different things in space based on physical laws that occupy our little planet. Kinda makes you think there isn't much we can't do, if we really try.

Another thing that fascinates me is that, even though the Hubble can look deep into space, I mean, like 15 Million light years or something into space, there is a point where it just stops. It can't see any further, and they are trying to figure out what that is. Interesting.

13. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    This is the best explanation I could find about what I mentioned. Kinda throws a couple of things in there as well that I touched on. I wish Aaron would comment.

The European Homepage For The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope - Frequently Asked Questions

14. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    It's like taht planet they found whil scanning the Hubble Space Telescope archives it's the size of 7 Jupiters!!

15. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Beat ya to it :lol 

16. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Not really shocked at this. All storms on any planet have to stop sooner or later.

BTW, are beings from Jupiter called Jovians or Jupiterians?

17. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    The red spot is shrinking?!

It's global warming I tells ya!!!

wait... it's how hot there?

GLOBAL WARMING IN ACTION PEOPLE!!!!

DOOOOM!!!!

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Like, my gut response would be that, if there's other stuff out there, then maybe the light from it just hasn't reached the hubble yet. It may be far enough out that the light that's greater than 15 million LY just hasn't reached the telescope yet.

...the other, less explanatory and slightly more hypothetical notion is dark energy. The only reason I say that is because, since dark energy is largely unexplained and just kinda exists as a big-as-fuck dummy variable to account for the rest of the mass that should make up the known universe, maaaaybe an accumulation of enough of the unknown gunk that makes up dark energy makes it impossible for the hubble or other telescopes to see beyond 15 million LY? Kinda like trying to look through a light fog with a telescope - you can see some stuff with it, but shit off in the distance may not be very clear or impossible to see.

This is mostly just guesswork, though.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't think anyone else is shocked either. It's just neat, guy.

20. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm supposed to move because of a storm on Jupiter?? There is a cute girl washing her car outside my window. Can't it wait till she's done?