It Happened...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Molini, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

I actually watched The Happening yesterday despite all the horrible reviews it recieved and all I can say is...wooooow. Boy did this movie blow...literally (no, really... the antagonist in the movie is actually the wind blowing some deadly plant spores)

I feel like Stan did in the South Park episode where he went to Mel Gibsons house to demand his money back after watching The passion of the Christ, except I paid nothing because my roomate rented it.

M. Night Shamalan IMO has hit a serious all time low with this one. About the only thing that could possibly make this movie of any use to anyone would be to turn it into a drinking game where you drink everytime Mark Wahlberg's character exploits some of the worst acting of his career (be warned: Alcohol poisoning may follow).

Has anyone else seen this movie? Or even worse, has anyone else seen this movie in the theater? Did anyone actually like this movie?

2. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Uh, wow. I don't think the movie is terrible in the least. I wasn't expecting anything besides a Entertaining Movie enshrouded in Mystery. I enjoyed it.

3. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Shamyalmadingdong's movies have been getting crappier and crappier with every new attempt. When The Villiage ended like a bad Scooby-Doo episode, I tuned out. After learning what "the Happening" actually is, I'm glad I quit caring.

4. Molini

Do tell...I was curious to hear the from those who actually like it. I'm not gonna bag on you for it, if you like it you liked it, nothing wrong with that...but I do want to know what you thought was good about it.

I really thought the acting throughout was terrible. The plot itself was very uninspiring to me. I am not a Shamalan hater, I just thought this movie in particular was pretty bad. I was only entertained by the cringing of my roomate who was fidgeting so much during the movie and talking about how he wanted to turn it off but didn't want to waste money.

I found no mystery...from the moment it started in the parks and they emphasized that, I actually told my roomate "dude if the villain in this movie is the plants I'm never watching a Shamalan movie again"

about 45 minutes later...well...

5. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Whoever told Mark Wahlberg he can act needs to be shot.

Whoever approves M. Night Shamalaman's scripts also needs to be shot.

6. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

I see what was wrong here, that could have saved the film, somehow.
    You see, someone once said "If you explain the fenomenum, it stops being a thriller an becomes science fiction."
    That guy was Alfred Hitchcock.
    I would have been really happy if there was no explanation as to why people were dropping dead everywhere.

7. Molini

Ahh, you bring forth a very good point sir...however...this is Shamalan we are talking about.

A "Twist" is to him, what "Explosions" are to Michael Bay.

8. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I wouldn't watch it. Thats just me I'll rather watch the Incredible Hulk then watch the Happening.

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

reminds me, did anyone else catch Walberg sketch they did on SNL?

I thought it was hilarious.... he however did not think it wa funny,

10. Molini

aww, naw I didn't catch it...is it on you tube or anywhere online currently?

11. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I saw this when it came out and a few buddies rented it this weekend just because my brother wanted to see the deleted scenes. The movie is actually worse when I watched it again since I knew what was coming.

I hate my brother.

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I thought it was decent; not as good as signs, but better than unbreakable. Unlike most, I thought walhberg's acting was better in this than his acting in the Big Hit and the Italian Job, of Fear for that matter.

13. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:

I dunno; I guess the Lack of Explaination as to what was happening exactly is what interested me. And the fact it was "The Plants" causing the epidemic of suicides was a kicker for me. Its not exactly an enemy you can kill without cutting off a part of the human's resources of survival. The idea the movie was presenting generally made me uneasy.

I won't say the acting was at all great; It had more downs than ups, especially from the likes of Mark Wahlburg (Yeesh, what kind of teacher did he meet to prepare for his role. His character was just lacking in any sort of interest). Zooey Deschanel wasn't bad either, she performed better than she did in Tin Man. The only actor that really stood out for me, performance wise, was probably John Leguizamo. In my opinion, he had the most interesting character in the entire movie.

14. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    He didn't? It's shame he doesn't have a sense of humor.

I saw it on HULU this morning and laughed. I told my wife "you should watch this, it's dumb but the impression is so good it makes it funny" She had seen it knew right away what it was without watching.

edit: I just found the link, Marky Mark wasn't butthurt, just not that amused I guess

Also no I didn't watch the Happening, I am waiting for my co-worker to let me know what he thought.

15. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

As soon as I read the premise I laughed so hard I almost spewed good soda through my nose. Someone (M Night Shamalamadingdong) didn't do their science while trying to go all global warming on us.

16. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

17. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm going to have to buy it and watch it by next Tuesday... Rifftrax is going to riff it next. Riff comes out Tuesday.

18. Molini

Fair enough...I will admit to being entertained by the suicides that occurred, the guy who let the lawn mower run him over for example was creepy.

But everything you mentioned in your second paragraph I agree with. I just wasn't really startled by anything in this movie I suppose, and I never had any sympathy for any of the characters or people who died...especially after I found out what was causing the deaths. This is what ruined the movie even more for me.

19. Molini

20. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Plants killing people using wind. That's what I gathered from the trailer and the interview. That was enough to think that M. Night Shaymalanana was a complete retard. Especially when I saw that he was serious about this movie. If it were campy, I would've watched it for fun, but it wasn't. It was plants killing humans using wind. To think that I was joking about it innocently in the theaters. Shots of people being paralyzed everywhere etc... (I was already pissed off at Day After Tomorrow.) I quipped, it's probably global warming killing those people, or mother nature punishing humans. Lo and behold. No one should ever watch that.