It happened to me! A motherload lucky haul!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TJOmega, Jul 18, 2007.

1. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Follow me on this epic as my turn for a lucky haul finally arrives, and see all the odd twists and turns it took to get there.

Let me set the scene. My dad is known to be a Transformers fan because on the back windshield of his car there's a custom Autobot decal, bigger than you can usually buy. (My car has a matching one) Now while this got him the occasional guy recognizing it, now with the movie everyone knows what it is. So, my dad comes home on the 9th and tells me a guy from work came up to him talking about the Transformers movie, he was a fan as a kid and just saw it over the weekend. In the process of this discussion, he tells my dad that he still has a big box of his old figures from when he was a kid, and bragged about one that was "this tall", which by my dad's gesture was about knee high, between a foot and a foot and a half. The guy's in this 30s, so that means he was a kid for G1 and only G1, and at an older age where there's good chance they're better taken care of. Now that's as far as the discussion of this box went, but naturally I'm curious if the box is up for grabs. I figured it might be since, #1, he wasn't sure how tall the toy was and I dont recall a foot and a half tall figure or close to one outside of Overlord, and #2, he didn't know the name of the toy he was bragging on. My dad's doubtful since the guy's on a high from the movie but he says he'd ask. I'm excited at this point cause I know we're talking city transformer of which I've never owned an original.

The next day upon my dad's return from work, we have a most unexpected twist. Not only is he willing to part with his figures, he HAS to. As it turns out, the box has been stored at his parent's house since he moved out, and they're about to move out of it themselves within two weeks, so he has to go get this box and do something with it and soon. Odder still, I learn the following day that it's my dad's boss that has this box. But my dad's done this kind of thing before, I have a nice knockoff Browning to prove it, he knows to play it cool, ask when the time is right, so we're holding off till Friday... but at this point I think it's mine, he apparently warned my dad of missing parts since they were played with but in a "are you sure you want it?" kinda way.

Time to go downhill, it is Friday the 13th after all. The boss who has been there every day since taking over, didn't show up. And when monday rolls around, my dad forgets to ask about the box... and this was on my birthday, too, that's what makes the timing about all of this really weird. I get some other sizes to ponder over, minibot, Micromaster ranges but they could be Nebulons, too... but I'm now at a point where I dont know the fate of this box at all.

I leave a note for my dad on Tuesday as a reminder and this time he does remember to ask. Good timing as the boss said he was going tonight to get his stuff out of his parent's house, they're moving this weekend, but I got another update to consider. Apparently according to this guy, he has to get his hands on the box before he knows if he can bring it into work. This could mean many things that toil in my mind. If he gets too nostalgic and keeps it I'm screwed. Could mean the box is too age worn to bring, it has been there at least 10 years. Then there's the most likely, and dare I dream it... maybe the box is too big for his car?

Well, it wasn't, but it was pretty big. Today, July 18th, my dad brought it home, the box is mine. And now we come to the part I know most of you skipped over the story to get to, what was in the box?

FORTRESS MAXIMUS! Yes, I got the big guy free! He's a little yellowed but he's only missing his large photon blaster. Yes, Spike IS here, and all of Cog as well. Nothing's broken and his stickers are even in great shape.

Metroplex (Fixer upper, only included his left fist, shoulder tower, and Six Gun's left arm, four rubber tires are missing)
    Ultra Pretender Skyhammer (Awesome shape considering he's gold plastic, missing only his missile)
    Powermaster Optimus Prime (Complete and great shape... aside from the peg broken off in Prime's hitch)
    Pretender Jazz (Complete)
    Quickswitch (Complete)
    Needlenose (No tailfin, but Sunbeam and Zigzag are here)
    Doublecross (Complete)
    Hot Spot (one rifle included)
    Lightspeed (complete)
    Nosecone (Complete)
    Strafe (Complete)
    First Aid
    Breakdown
    Dragstrip
    Dead End
    Wildrider

MICROMASTERS:
    Full-Barrel and Overflow (All parts except shuttle portion of base)
    Blackout and Spaceshot (plus ramp and light from base)
    Air Strike Patrol [Macau] (Whisper x2, Nightflight x2, Stormcloud, Tailwind x2)
    Race Car Patrol [Macau] (Road Handler, Tailspin, Swindler)
    Flak
    Sunrunner
    Knockout
    Hammer
    Powertrain

PARTS:
    Computron Parts (Foot, left fist, head, chest)
    Abominous Parts (Head, left fist)
    Micromaster Flattop's Carrier
    Scattershot's jet mode guns
    Afterburner's weapons
    Erector's base (*snicker*)
    Trypticon's electronic Cannon
    Kup's rifle
    Laserbeak's right gun
    Motormaster's rifle
    Sludge's rifle
    Squeezeplay's rifle
    Blades' launchers

Talk about luck continuing, those Technobots completed my set and almost all the parts, too, I nearly have my favorite combiner! There's a handfull I cant identify yet... BUT. This may not be the end. He's going to keep looking, and seeing some of the names on that parts list that aren't here... I dont think I'm done here yet!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/barada/myhaul.jpg
    I link it because the picture sucks so bad, it's more just proof than showing off. I'll update with a better one if I can.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Congrats. I wish people would give me free G1 stuff... (I'm accepting donations if anyone cares)

I think MikeTSI a Fort Max big rifle in a flea market lot... You might want to talk to him if you're interested in completing it.

3. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    very very nice!

4. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    :rock 

do NOT buy any lottery tickets. You've used up all your luck. :) 

5. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Wow. Very nice haul! I want my chance at a freak accidental awesome haul... an ex of my sister promised me his old TFs, but that was 10 years ago and I'm still waiting...

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

That is one awesome haul there man, congrat's!

7. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

wow... you're lucky.

*Posts to rub some luck off him*

8. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Great haul! Congrats, and I thought I was lucky when a co-worker gave me a G1 boxed Prime!

9. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    Everyjob I have worked at, I purposly leave 1 transformer and 1 Gi Joe figure on my desk because someone always goes "Oh you like those, I have some of my son's old ones he doesnt play with anymore, you want them?"

I got my dinobots that way and a shitload of gi joe figures.

10. vnutz

vnutz Banned

Ebay:
    pics!!

11. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

It never fails to amaze me how people continuously fall ass-backwards into vintage G1 stuff for little to nothing!

That kind of thing never happens to me.

**Clicks and saves Soundblaster1's frickin' hilarious sig pic.**

12. TJOmega

News Credits:
    What's really odd is how close this all was to my birthday, the 16th was my birthday and two days later I own a G1 Maximus.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Congrats dude! Very nice!!

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

You lucky bastard. I wish some shit like that would happen to me one day.

Congrats!

15. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Very nice, I had a similar thing except of course, I did pay for them and not cheap but was quite amazed to get a nice haul of G1 stuff in my own backyard, many congrats, all TF fans I think dream of days like this happening.

16. HollyW00d

HollyW00d Collecting Freak

Nice, Fort Max is one of my figures that I've not been able to complete throughout the years. I bought him in the mid 90's for $100.00, complete except for Cog's gun. No matter how many times I see the gun on Ebay either I don't want to pay the BIN price for it or I get outbid. Anyone out there willing to part with the little gun?

17. evopete

evopete Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Great story....and GREAT luck......

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Fugginossum!

19. TJOmega

News Credits:
    ...Fuggi what now?