It finally happened

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Seaspray, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Seaspray

Seaspray TFW2005 Supporter

After collecting TFs for years and years, I think I'm out of love with them. I'm not sure if it's a temporary thing because of some issues I'm going through (been unemployed for a few months) or I'm really over them.
    If it's a permanent thing I've got a hell of a job ahead of me selling off my collection, but I'm not making a snap decision on it.

Anyone else go though something like this?

2. MMarker

MMarker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I go through phases when I look at them all and have buyers remorse for a couple of days but I always rebound.

Right now since I have everything I want from the current stuff out right now I'm kinda losing interest. (so you'll see an increase in me buying Marvel Universe and DC Classic Figures)

3. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    It comes and goes. I think what'll really make or break it is the future prospects of the line and how they appeal to you - the direction Hasbro's taking it, etc.

For example, I was really big into collecting Star Wars figures for a while, but now that Hasbro is focusing so much on the Clone Wars show, which I have no interest in, and because I collect primarily main characters and they've recently made a very large number of random background characters I don't care to buy, I'm almost totally done with collecting them.

If you go through a phase where you don't enjoy it, just stop. You can always try to backtrack and pick up what you missed later on if the interest returns.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    My interests for TFs have been waning for the past year or so now.

Macross has retaken the place of my hobby passion and has had a firm grip on it. Now I just look at a TF and can't help but think that they're just meh. I'll still buy TFs but it hasn't been a priority for a while now.

I guess it's partially because my tastes in figures have evolved and until Hasbro/TakaraTOMY put forth something that can match the sofistication of Macross, TFs will remain on the backburner for the forseeable future.

I've actually sold off pretty much all of my Energon to pay for Macross stuff. :D 

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ^This! :D 

It's really up to your feelings for a certain period of time. For me, IMHO, it cant be always there, but occasionally you just want to step back and not let the collection TF's process take control of other more important happenings/ events in your life.. :D 

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think we see a thread like this every couple of weeks, so don't feel bad. If you feel like you want to take a break from the franchise, do it. It'll probably still be here when you get back, if you get back. And if you see something while you're on a "break" that you think you need to have, pick it up. Noone says you have to be a completionist.

7. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Whenever I feel like that I just look aroud at my collection for a little while and it all comes back.

8. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I would say it has to do with Hasbro,since they are atleast 4 or 5 months away from
    releasing anything I want I just quit buying TF's as there are so few I want so its like
    a hiatus for me till Hasbro has another big release next year for the 3rd movie.That way I
    have a variety to choose from.

As for what I am doing now,I am getting rid of my least fave stuff and trying to finish my
    Power Ranger and Kamen Rider collecting,which I only need about 10 or 12 more
    Megazords and be thru with those,and about 20 or so Kamen Riders.After that I may
    go back to Video Gaming.But thats pretty much my plan.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It comes in waves with all the stuff that I collect. I tried out the Rise of Cobra stuff but it just didn't appeal to me so I'm taking a break from GI Joe. Marvel lines have had a few slow periods when I've taken a break, but then Hasbro will come out with some new 4" figure I've just got to have and the magic is back.

For Transformers I've been taking a bit of a break. The movie figures are well made figures but I'm just not into the look as I'm more of Japanese mech sort of look to my robots. So yea I'm taking the break and not buying hardly anything Transformers, but when Generations comes out and Power Core comes out I know I'll be jumping right back in with both feet into the excitement of collecting.

10. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

You have to have priorities. When things are tight especially when out of work you can't be dumping money into hobbies. And if you have to sell what you got to get by you do what you got to. People usually regret letting go of collections they spent years obtaining though. My original comics and magic cards I sold off over 15 years ago I still regret selling to this day. I got practically nothing for them and have spent much more trying to rebuild the collections.

11. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Give up?? :sly2: 

NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND HERE!

I'm proud to stay a Collector, even after 14 years of collecting. :lol 

12. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Since I'm not a fan of the movie toys my interest has dipped. I am filling the void with customs and third party products as well as the occasional hasbro exclusive that meets my needs. Not really liking much of what is coming either so this will be status quo for a bit

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep. Mine's all going, over 6000 toys.

I estimate that if I quit my job and did nothing but sell Transformers, it would take at least a year. :lol 

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I think I've actually bought more TFs in the past months of unemployment than I did when I had a job.

15. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I usually hit a low when there is nothing to buy. These lows increase when ever the movie stuff comes out.(Not a fan)

But once I get in to a buying spree again I fall in love all over again.

It's like all things we love, we love, the love lessens and then we fall in love all over again.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

16. Predakign2000

Predakign2000 All Hail Unicron!!!

I lost interest during the time the first movie figures came out. I had gotten all of the Classics Decepticons I wanted. I typically collect only Cons, but I started getting back into the Universe Classics 2.0 line. I got all the deluxes except for Starscream. I had been back off collecting until earlier this year. Now I'm back into it hard. I have a little more money now ant I think that is why I've gotten back interested. I can't wait for the new lines to come out!!! I figure my interest will fall off in the future, but I'm really enjoying it right now.

17. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol, I'm going to agree with you. Since i've been on unemployment and don't enjoy watching daytime TV, its all Transformers! I finished watching the entire BW and BM series in 4 days lol.

So after all the BW goodness and remembering how awesome they are, I purchased them over again. It really made me regret giving them away to my nephews because Rampage cost me 35 bucks! I remember KB toys sold Rampage and Depth Charge for 10 bucks during their clearance sale.....

Really sucks but i'm happy to have them. Hell, I even brought the Unicron Disk Reader add on for TM Megatron. Yesssss

18. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I go through phases, but I enjoy it. I only buy current retail stuff (I don't go crazy with the pricey imports) though, so my collection isn't a problem or out of control. My GF would probably say otherwise, but compared to some of those pictures in the collection showcase thread... nothing like that.

19. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Every year about one or two months before Botcon I give up buying toys...but that's just to save up some $$$ for the big trip. I've never lost interest in Transformers, I just shift my funds sometimes.

20. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is true. Sold all my star wars figures at a garage sale (as a kid), and could/should have done better by them.

Transformers- I sold the bulk of my large G1 collection (as a kid)- although I kept around 20 of my favorites.

There's a list of at least 10 more figures I wish I'd kept- probably more.