It could not have been any other director

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by darthrage, Jun 22, 2007.

1. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I think Michael Bay raises the bar for action every time he makes a new movie. He just outdoes himself. I mean why wouldn't he want to?

Never mind the story aspect, I'm talking about the movie on a technical level. Other than James Cameron, I don't think any one else could've taken the helm and really bring the movie to a be what it should be and that is a big robo-destruction-fest. And more of course.

You know Michael Bay can do car chase and make them totally exciting. Look at the Rock and Bad Boys 2. I dunno if this is in the movie but it very well should be. Imagine BB and Barricade in a car chase and then while they are in hi-speed chase, they do a transformation while in mid chase and continue the chase as robots. I know that he's got something like that up his sleeve. Cuz he wants to make an action sequence that he would want to see.

I remember reading that Robert Zemeckis was a candidate for directing Transformers. I was actually pretty excited because I like alot of the movies he has made. But now that I think about it, Robert Zemeckis would have made it too fantasy like. Probably less action.

Imagine if Ang Lee (Hulk, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) or Bryan Singer (X-Men, X2, Usual Suspects) were to direct it. Ang Lee would've made it way too character drive and made the focus of the movie on a single character and focus on their inner conflicts and then there would be a big action scene or two and but then leave us unsatisfied because we want more and the first half would be lots of drama. If Bryan Singer were to direct it, the story would be good but with so many characters, he would just focus on one character and he would make a robot movie with action in it as opposed to an robot action movie.

But Michael Bay on the other hand, action is his number 1 priority and thats exactly what we wanna see......some serious Robo-rumble.

I don't know how many of you liked Terminator 3 but when I saw it, I was blown away by the mass destruction when the the T-800 and the TX were fighting. They were just throwing each other through the wall and this redefined the term "raw action". This is exactly what I expect when I saw a movie direct by Michael Bay. We're gonna see robots throw each other into buildings and craters will form.

Anyways, just had to say that it couldn't have been any other director.

Just thought of this.....imagine if Transformers was directed by John Woo LOL!

2. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:

Terminator 3 sucked ass, but from what I've seen from the trailers and TV Spots Michael Bay has done a pretty awesome job, yes.

3. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    yeah well I was speaking from a technical point of view. The action was pretty mind-blowing. Especially the first action sequence with car chase where they were just tearing sh!t up.

We wanna see more directors take risks instead of go with the traditional conservative route of making the same action scene again and again but with some added twists. Lets see something totally new and something that is going to leave an impression and Michael Bay is just the man for that.

4. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to disagree on this because there many good directors out there who could have done a better job. I'm not saying that Bay is bad or whatever but to say that only Bay can do this is like licking or kissing you're boss ass. There's Sam Raimi, Cris Nolan, John McTiernan and others. I liked some of Bay's movies but not all of 'em.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    It's a massive budget, summer special effects extravaganza. I have to admit I can't see anyone but Michael Bay pulling it off.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    definitely couldve been worse, we couldve gotten tamahori.

7. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I don't think James Cameron could have done TRANSFORMERS. He produces good set-pieces but can't maintain the overall pace of a movie.
    Chris Nolan and Sam Raimi... Well, I don't think they do action very well at all. John Mcteirnan? At a push, maybe. His 'action' is possibly too 'down-to-earth' for something like TF.

Bay can convey spectacle, action and composition in the same frame that I don't see anywhere else. Like it or not, for TF to be a success I think we needed someone who could provide that almost 'hyper real' feel (that's a gross over-simplification but I can't think of any other way of putting it).

A live-action TF movie can't be produced as if it exists in our mundane universe - It has to take place in a hyper-active, almost surreal parallel universe where things look the same, but blow up far more often.
    Only Bay can do that in my opinion.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    bay is not surprisingly, a dream for director. hes approach is shallow. lotsa explosions and he like buttrock.

9. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Buttrock rules so so hard.

10. MADAM_MEG

MADAM_MEG Well-Known Member

For Bay, I agreed that he has a good points with his work but I just dislike some of his managing.

For the other directors that I think they could made this film Genre pretty awesome action scenes, well technical deverlopment and handle for many characters as well is : Andy+Larry Wachowski , Robert Rodriguez, Peter Jackson :music 

11. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    For Chris Nolan, I'm worried his approach may be a dark and even edgier take and the action scenes will be so blurred and messy and not dynamic.

And for Sam Raimi, I fear the action would be waaaaay too cartoony, like cartoon violence (Spider-Man movies, Matrix etc.)