Issues with Rainbow Six Vegas (360)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by King Starscream, Jul 30, 2007.

1. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know what it is about this game but it flat out refuses to play on my 360. The first copy of the game was a bit scratched up, but would play until about two weeks ago. From that point on the Dashboard would say "open tray" when the game was in or it would give me the generic message "to put this disc in an X-box 360 console" as if the 360 was some run of the mill DVD player. After repeatedly getting this message despite getting the disc rebuffed, I bought a second used copy of Rainbow Six Vegas and I got the same messages. I got the second disc rebuffed and it would actually play . . . for a little while. Tricky part is I can't just boot up the 360 and pop it in or I would get the stupid DVD message again. I had to play another game first for a little bit and pop it in. Then it would start playing, after playing about an hour or two the disc would go kaput on me.
    I'm not sure it's the 360 itself since all my other games, including a scratched up 3 year old copy of Halo 2 can still play on the 360. I'm getting frustrated and it's a damn shame since I really like this game. I don't want to buy a brand new copy especially if it's going to end up giving me the same problems.
    So, suggestions, anybody?

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

sound wierd, i take it you've got the lastest updates and stuff?

3. Loscos

Loscos Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Check and see if there are any almost perfect circular like line/scratches on it, if so it might be your 360. I've not heard much about it happening with Vegas, but it could happen, i mean after a certain point Gears Of War becomes unplayable because it gets itself scratched to hell, maybe its happening with your copy of R6.

Thats my input anyway.

4. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Same thing happend to me the other day. Infact none of my games wanted to work. So I just stepped away and after 10 minutes popped it back in and it worked fine. Also if Rainbow Six randomly crashes it does that. One way to bring the crashing to a minimum is every time you want to play rainbow six make sure you open the tray and insert the disc. Dont just boot the 360 and game up at the same time. For some reason mine hasnt crashed since.

5. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:

If it is a near complete perfect circle it means you have bumped your 360 while the disc was spinning, the 360 on its own will not scratch discs. Same with Gears, either you are bumping you 360 or you are mis-handling your disc. I have played countless hours of my GOW copy and my disc is in perfect condition, and my 360 is a launch console so I definitely know it's not the 360 causing any of the damage without any physical contact. Also make sure that the 360 is level no matter which position it is in.

Even minor scratches can cause a disc to be mis-read and therefore won't play. 360 discs are spinning at a higher rate of speed and there is more info crammed onto that disc than og Xbox games so that explains why your scratched up copy of Halo will still play. I hate to break it to ya but it sounds like you need to buy a new copy of Vegas if you want to keep playing.

BTW if the sratche(s) are a near complete perfect circle, chances are that M$ will refund you. Just head over to xbox.com and check out their support pages, they're a lot of help.

6. Loscos

Loscos Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The thing is, i havent moved my 360 at all, and those circles happened, so it has to be my 360 ;_; i dont want to send it away though.

7. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    i never had this trouble with R6 or any other game.

time to exercise that 3 year warranty.

8. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

It's quite a known thing that some 360s will scratch the shit out of discs without so much as a nudge when it's vertical. Dec 2006 models apparently lack some dealy that stabalizes the disc while spinning.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/16/scratch-that-the-xbox-360-might-damage-discs-after-all/

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    My first copy of Oblivion said "to use this disc put it in a 360".

I took it back to the store that same afternoon I bought it and never had a problem with another game.

Its odd that you keep getting this message on different copies of the same game, but I think it is the games DVDs themselves.

10. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I've been getting that message with my Guitar Hero 2. It doesn't happen every time I try and play it, but sometimes it does it 3 or 4 times in a row and I just have to keep opening and closing the disc tray until it works. The weird thing is though is that when it happens, it doesn't even sound like the 360 is trying to read the disc before the error pops up, but when it doesn't happen I can hear the disc start spinning right away.

11. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:

That was pretty much my point. Even in the manual it says do not move your xbox while a disc is spinning. Discs will be sratched if the 360 is moved in any position but it is especially easy to do it while it is vertical.

But if you are positive you are not moving it double check that it is on a flat level surface. If everything is level with no movement then call up xbox support and listen to what they have to say. If it does have to go get repaired then at most it should only be gone for two weeks.

So if it does go in for repairs it's summer time anyway right? Go outside and enjoy it instead of playing video games.

12. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Try going outside during summer in Texas for more then 5 minutes and I will congratulate you on your loss of 10 pounds through sweating.

13. King Starscream

News Credits:
    It's not just R6V anymore. Every 360 game now gets that stupid message. The DVD player is just ass. 300 (SPARTA!) keeps freezing up as does a Gundam Seed DVD. The only things that work well at this point are the dashboard and Halo 2. I did NOT buy a 360 just to have a faster version of an X-Box. Anyway called tech support last night and I'm now using the warranty and they're sending the 'all expenses paid' UPS box to send it in for repair. I've had the 360 for two months now. The first was just a dream. This last month has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I hope the repairs change that attitude.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry to hear that, Johnny. At least we can still play Halo until your cardboard coffin arrives. And Filth's died, too. Must be something in the water.

15. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Your mistake was buying a Xbroke 360. Step up and buy a PS3 so you can play with the big boys.

16. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i dont know man did you try cleaning the disk with rubbing alchohol?

17. King Starscream

News Credits:
    Don't even start . . .

I've gotten the R6V discs buffed twice. Not sure what rubbing alcohol will do.

18. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    oh well i had a disc that was so scratched up that i thought it would never work and then i cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and it worked...but i don't think this is a problem with the disc....hmmmm

19. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Im tellin ya its just temporary(most of the time) Just pull the power cord on your 360, plug it back in, wait 10 minutes and it should be fine. Also it seems 300 is bitchy about loading for me too but all my other DVDs work fine. I dont know your call about returning it.

20. King Starscream

News Credits:
    My all expenses paid cardboard coffin came in Friday. The 360 was sent on Saturday. For those that have sent their 360's through UPS to get repaired, what's the turnaround time? Also, it does worry me when the lone UPS store in a small town takes just one look at the box when I come through the door and she already knows what it is.