Issues with Playstation3...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UnicronFTW, Oct 30, 2011.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Sorry to make an entirely new thread for this, but I don't know where else to ask since the Playstation social group is inactive and I don't see a thread for this...
    Anyway.
    I don't have wi-fi, let me get that out while I'm thinking of it. I use a direct ethernet cable from the modem to the system. You can only attach one cord to the modem, so I take the cable off my comp and hook it up to the Playstation. So it's a devoted connection.
    But when I browse the internet with the Playstation, from time to time, it will freeze completely. So I go to turn the system off, and when I press the button, the green light flashes. It doesn't turn off all the way... I have to unplug it.
    It's only happened on youtube, (but then again, I've only ever gone to youtube.) And two out of the three times it's happened, I've had a game demo downloading.
    So, you guys got any clue whats happening here? I only just got a playstation, so I'm a newb when it comes to all this. Any help is appreciated.

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    What version of PS3?(slim,20 gig,1st edition etc.)

3. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I would recommend a router, that way, you don't have to keep switching between PS3/PC and whatnot.

4. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    This. If not, run a dedicated line from the modem to your PC and then another one to the PS3.

5. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    PS3 Slim, 160gb

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Suck it up and buy a router/switch so you can plug everything in at once and they can all play together nicely.

Swapping machines all the time is probably messing with the modem.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agreed.
    i run a laptop, my iPhone, xbox and a desktop pc from a router and at times simultaneously, with no problems.

saves you a lot of headaches.

8. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I havn't broken down to get wi-fi yet, because I might move soon and if I do I'll have to change my ISP. When I do that, I'll get a wireless modem. But in the meantime, just telling me to get wi-fi doesn't help much since you havn't clarified whether or not thats the cause of my problem.

9. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

It's pretty tough for anyone to know what the actual problem is. And you don't need to use wireless, you can buy a router or a switch and hardwire that. That's what I do for my systems. They're only maybe 25 bucks.

10. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Whether they know what my problem is or not, they could at least comment on my inquiry instead of just saying that my modem sucks...

11. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I don't believe anyone said that your modem sucks , and the fact that you make it sound like we are giving you asshole responses, isn't exactly being nice to people who ARE trying to help you. We are giving you a solution to the problem. When you switch over the cords, it confuses the modem, and sometimes will cause issues. Using a ROUTER is potentially the fix. A router will help split the connection to multiple items that will at least solve one of the possible issues.

So, everyones assessment of your Playstation 3 issue, is that your modem does NOT suck and getting a ROUTER may fix your issue. Even if it doesn't, we still recommend getting one, because it isn't a good idea to constantly just switch the cord from your PC to the PS3.

12. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Try doing a file restore. If you have any corrupt system files, it'll reinstall them, and maybe your system will handle the streaming better?

To do so, you need to access the Restore menu on your PS3:

PS3 Secret Recovery Menu - YouTube

I haven't had to do this in some time, but when I did, it took pretty much all of my system lag/freezing away.

And, the switching of the cord between your PS3 and computer doesn't seem like it shoukd be a problem, because the modem is the same static gateway IP sending/receiving the same internet through that ethernet cord. In reality though, if you establish connections through that gateway with one device, and then switch the ethernet cord to another without a hard reset on the modem, it could very well cause issues due to those connections to those ports not being closed out. Even if it's not the cause of this specific issue, you need to get a router. This is fact. Do not get defensive from people giving you sound advice.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

If you don't want the hassle of hooking up a router, call your cable comapny.
    Most will provide them for you (around $25) and they'll even hook it up for you.

14. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    It's not advice unless you let the other person know it's advice. They went on with that without actually saying it was a potential cause for my problem. It came off as them just trying to get me to change instead of helpful advice.
    And besides, I already said that eventually I am going top be moving from where I am living. I'm not gonna go out of my to change my set up when I'm inevitably gonna get a new ISP soon. When that happens, then hell yes I am going to get a router or I;m gonna get wi-fi. But until then, they're adivce didn't help me much.

Ouch... File restore, huh? That scares me, since I just got this PS3 last month. Hell, it hasn't even been a month. So doing a whole restore is just scary.
    Again, it really didn't come off as advice...
    And again... I'm moving soon, so I'm not going through that just for something I'm gonna have to change over again.

Sorry for coming off as an asshole, guys. I'm just frustrated that my brand new PS3 came out of the package with a glitch. I came seeking some quick advice, and all I saw in the responses were comments on my modem and not on my problem, which frustrated me. It wasn't apparent to me immediately that it was advice, so I got a little snippy. Sorry.

15. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    It doesn't delete any data. It just reinstalls the system files: So you won't lose anything.

And, as for whether it's advice or not, hopefully when I detailed it a bit more, the "why" to it was more clear for you.

Good luck.

16. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Well I see it now... I didn't see it then...

17. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I even reread the stuff and it all sounds like advice to me. Starting with my comment of: "I recommend a router". Followed by most people agreeing to my statement about the router. I mean, do you really need the statements to start off with: "My advice...,etc."? I am not trying to come off as a jerk, but we all are trying to help, and that was the general concensus about the router. In all honesty, it sounds like you asked for advice, we gave it, and you just passed it off as people just screwing with you. You need to do a process of elimination before you get upset thinking that your system is screwed up right off the bat.

Believe me, I have done the cord swaps before and found plenty of issues that occur, but we wouldn't recommend a router if we didn't think it would help.

18. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Honestly Spoiler, you didn't say anything that came off wrong. You just answered a question simply, and didn't do it in a rude manner.

So, ignoring all the extra curricular drama, OP let us know what you find after trying something, if you'd like any more assistance.

19. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

IMO, I think it's just a case of the PS3's web browser being sub-par and things causing it to crash and freeze up the PS3 itself. Things that other PC based browsers have no problem with. Such as using Youtube, where I've had mine crash every now and then too. Probably nothing that can be done about it sadly.

20. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I'll keep everyone posted.

You think? I have a PC, it's not like a PS3 is my only access to the net, but still it sucks...