Issue #81 Interview with Simon Furman

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Might Gaine, May 24, 2011.

1. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    At the Allspark, we were lucky enough to ask Simon some questions about issue #81. You can read the whole thing here:

The Allspark: Transformers News Movie Comics Animated - Allspark.com Interview with Simon Furman - Part 1

One of the big things he mentioned is that the project has not been green lit yet, even with a story ready to go and DOTM comics dying down, so it's VERY important for people to continue to sign the petition to show IDW that we want this:

Restart Original Transformers Continuity From #81 with SIMON FURMAN Petition

Please sign it if you haven't already and continue to get the word out!

Some other key points from the interview:

* The story would be called "War to End All Wars"
    * The creative team that worked together on the story are Andy Schmidt, Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman.
    * The story begins 20 years from when issue 80 ended (i.e., now) and Earth has been at peace. The Autobots let their guard down, and as a result a catastrophe happens on Earth.
    * The book will focus on the core cast of characters
    * Optimus will be mentoring Hot Rod. He sees a potential in Hot Rod that the other Autobots don't see.
    * The story will be a single arc, leaving room for additional arcs afterward if sales are good.
    * Elements introduced in the G2 comics will come into play in additional arcs.

Again, please sign the petition if you haven't! It sounds like Simon is ready to get this thing off the ground, and all it takes is the green light from IDW. You can make it happen by showing your support!!

Sign the petition here:
    Restart Original Transformers Continuity From #81 with SIMON FURMAN Petition

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

i have signed.

3. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    So basically its to the original Marvel comics what Games of Deception and Cheap Shots is.

I'd have wanted an actual #81 to be taking place a few days or weeks after the events of #80.

4. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    I to have signed. Would love to read some more Furman...

5. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love that they wanted to keep it to smaller self-contained ark, at least to start off with. Very smart, and it wouldn't have to conflict with the on-going series at all. Thanks for posting this!

6. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Interesting.

I would hope though that Furman willingly makes himself work with the creative limitation of featuring characters who have toys out at the time, given how much that affected who turned up and became stars in his run on Marvel US.

7. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds cool. Hope it comes to fruition

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I'd rather the Dreamwave series was continued.

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is, no joke and no exaggeration, a story that has been begging to be told since the 1986 movie.

Sure, in TFTM Hot Rod found his own way into leadership skills, then got the rest of the way there by deus ex machina. But now that the characters of Hot Rod and Optimus are perennial staples of neo-G1 media, this potential has just been left dangling for no clear reason.

I was sold before, but I'm extra-sold now.

10. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Here we have a revered creator who has brought so much to the property, who's chomping at the bit to write...

...but on the ongoing, we have a guy who finds it "very, very hard to write for gigantic, million-year-old alien robots that transform into cars" and thinks that "the concept works best when you just let certain irrational concepts lay."

Ugh.

11. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is just great news. Signed petiton as soon as it went up and im glad to see there's alot of support for this. Keep it goin!

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's, uh, irrelevant. Acknowledging that it should be hard to write for creatures that are over a million years old, and acknowledging that the franchise is primarily about fun, are both good things and show depth of thought.

It is a mistake to make this about Furman vs. Costa. Full stop.

13. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I find it sad, is all, that we have a writer, fired up and full of ideas who wants to write for the property who would be providing an alternative... and it's not currently happening. In light of the fact that GI Joe currently has the exact same arrangment (classic creator let loose to do what he likes, someone else handling the modern continuity), I find it sad that fans of Furman and the classic Marvel continuity don't get the same consideration from IDW or Hasbro.

It's a real shame that Furman's IDW run was cut off at the knees to make way for something of uncertain value (eventually replaced by a writer who, by his own admission, finds the concepts of TFs irrational and the property hard to work on) in the first place, so I hope that he gets a crack at this.

Relevant or not.

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    love that poster art with Optimus on the giant '81' and the retro font. Hits all the right buttons. I am so on for this if it happens.

15. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Yeah, me too, and that's the assumption I signed the petition on the basis of.

Not that I wouldn't support this, but I do feel that the concept is fundamentally different now.

16. General Tekno

News Credits:
    To be fair, issue 80 left off at a point which allowed for a timeskip.

Heck - Larry Hama even pseudocheated by timeskipping his universe (if not his characters) in that it's set in present day, but still picks up right after the last issue of the Marvel series.

17. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Well, all comics tend to take place in a loose "present day" (unless specifically designed otherwise). Not having read the new Joe stuff, I can't tell if what you're saying is different than that or not, but I certainly wouldn't expect to read a new #81 and think it's happening "20 years ago." It's just that "now" has shifted.

But I'll certainly agree with the person who said (on another board) that if #81 had come out the month after #80 and had a 20 year timeskip, we wouldn't have thought it especially out of place. So long as there are sufficient continuity ties to Marvel's original stories (something I always felt the TCC's Classics storyline lacked), I'll be happy enough.

18. General Tekno

News Credits:
    I'd honestly be most curious to see if the UK stuff is taken as canon or not, which Fun Pub did not.

And also, re: timeskips, the G2 book had an implied timeskip of some time, for that matter.

19. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Someone else noted that, too, specifically complaining that Furman didn't do anything to pick up on the "loose threads" (although there honestly aren't that many) from G1 even back then. Perhaps that's why some of us are jarred (I wouldn't honestly claim worse than that) by learning that this isn't a more direct continuation now. It was seen (and I'm speaking mostly for myself here) as an opportunity to go back and do right what we didn't feel was done right back then.

I mean, maybe others don't care, but I want to see Grimlock actually have to go through the trouble of getting his transforming powers back. I don't want to see it as already having been accomplished.

I want to see Megatron and Ratchet have to work through how they can separate their minds from each other (assuming that either survived, but are we honestly expecting Megatron not to feature here?), or how one survives when the other is dead, despite Fixit specifically saying that this wasn't possible.

Lastly (although I think this is least likely to be picked up on), I want to see Galvatron having survived the ice bath of #78, since this supposedly super-powerful being shouldn't be killed off by something less troublesome than the thing Shockwave survived back in issue #12 (only to return without much of a shrug two issues later... and the intervening issue didn't even feature anyone but Megatron, so could have been happening simultaneous to all that). (Yeah, the same fate killed Galvatron "forever" in the Japanese Headmasters series. It wasn't believable then, either, having had Galvatron survive being at Cybetron's core when it exploded earlier in the series.)

20. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Pretty much everything you said there I agree and would love.

The only thing I don't like is skipping 20 years. I don't mind skipping 6 months or so in order to get to the "starting" status quo, but 20 years... We'd be missing out on way too much. I'd want to see the return of Blaster (with his original comics head) return as a main character. In fact... the best Autobot roster, IMO, would be the ones that shined (some more than others) in the original series:

Optimus Prime, Grimlock, Jazz, Bumblebee, Nightbeat, Ratchet, Blaster, Hot Rod, and Fortress Maximus.

Maybe add Landmine and Cloudburst in there for good measure.