Isn't the point of bidding on lots to get stuff cheaper?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

So I was following this auction from a seller I had won a lot or two from before, I was good for bidding up to around $400 or a bit higher, and low and behold it ends at...$780!!!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260221463042&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Now I've taken a good look at what's in there and if you break it down item by item it's a stretch to evaluate the lot at that much even giving individual items high-end prices.

Sucks that the seller didn't identify that at least the Swoop box and weapons are KO and that the Reflector foam is a new custom (seller told me when I asked), which takes the value down, but still you'd have to put very high values on those figs to get to $780 plus shipping. Try it yourself. Doesn't make sense to me.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    If the winner wanted everything in the lot, s/he may have been willing to pay more, hence the higher bid. It's a stretch, but it could happen (get it all in one go makes it easier?)

3. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Yeah, someone just wanted this bad. Probably not good value though. Someone more patient would've have picked this stuff up in individual auctions for half the price.

4. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Some people are just stupid and do not know any better...:crazy: 

5. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Aww man, I wanted to pick up this stuff together for half the price :lol 

6. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Yeah but lots go for stupid money most of the time because the big power buyers/resellers drive the prices up.

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that was my first thought. What probably happened was you had one person who wanted it stupid bad, a couple of people who were like you and understood the real value of what was there and a couple of eBay resellers pushing the bidding up insanely.

That said, I've noticed that most lots go for more than the figures are worth and that's why I tend to sell in lots when I don't think the individual figures will sell for much. I know it's weird, but I've hardly ever had a Transformers lot where the entirety of the lot didn't go for more than what I paid for all the figures together (whether it was retail value or aftermarket value).

8. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

It's all in the power numbers my friend!