Is your HASBRO MPM04 Masterpiece Movie Optimus Flawed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Aug 13, 2017.

?

Is your HASBRO MPM04 movie Optimus flawed?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Since MPM04 was released I've read numerous posts, some indicating flaws and/or defects, some not. I just wanted to get a good read on whether or not most of them are. In weeks past we've seen posts on here with rumors from overseas alluding to broken molds, factory defects, recalls, et al. Hasbro is not immune to flawed MP releases, most notably MP Rodimus Prime(mine was ok, but not perfect). Whether later production runs feature less qc issues remains to be seen.

This thread is specific to the Hasbro release as the Takara MPM04 will not be out until next month. Hopefully it will not have the reported qc flaws that the Hasbro version has.

I'd love to think that maybe the instructions were just missing crucial steps but right now, the issues seem beyond that unfortunately. I would love to pick up MPM04 for $100 but doing so at TRU is a gamble.

So let's hear it, is your HASBRO MPM04 Prime flawed or not?

2. KayODave

KayODave Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    They all are.

• Like Like x 1
  3. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 MPM-5, take MPM-3 down a peg or 2.

News Credits:
    The only flaw I see right now with the figure is that it's trapped in my USPS distribution center and not in my hands yet. Even so, I am aware the specific copy I have purchased has already been reported with issues like a weak shoulder and loose back panels.

Practically what K.O.D said. All copies, sans 4 of them, have reported flaws.

4. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine would be flawed...
    LWfPAes.png

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Mine is part of batch number 71301. Cracked headlight hinge and 2 of the same thumb. Vehicle does have the tabbing issues known with this mold. Also the known roof parts swapped.

For any of you that have this figure, please note any qc flaws/errors/issues and the production batch number if possible(punched into the box on the front or back, should start with a "71" or "72".

6. Type-R

Type-R blissed off my chonk!

News Credits:
    Mine is from run 71. Fits together properly in truck mode.

Has the swapped roof hinges like every run/version out there. Got them switched around yesterday. Also sanded off the batch/product codings from the blue side leg pieces. At least TakaraTomy had the sense to stamp this somewhere less visible (their's is hidden on the back of the truck's headache rack).

No flaws except for a minor mishape (likely due to handling before the plastic cooled at the factory) on the upper right thigh piece. Not noticeable unless you're looking for it. I consider it battle damage. :) 

EDIT: I just checked the box to confirm the full batch coding - 71461. Couldn't remember earlier since I sanded it off on the figure.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    I voted no even though mine has some problems as i can deal with it

8. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Alright, anyone else get a 71 or 72 recently? Have issues with it or all good? Let's hear it! I'm on a crusade to somehow kill the gaps on mine. Performed surgery with a soldering iron and dremel tool so far. Also a hair dryer. This is ridiculous.

9. Type-R

News Credits:
    Did a bit more work on mine since the last post.

Painted the gold details onto the die cast ab section and the blue bands on the feet.

I like my Hasbro copy so much that I decided against picking up a TakaraTomy copy even when it was available cheap on Amazon JP. I still prefer the dark grey plastic. The die cast sections on my Hasbro piece have oxidised/tarnished, giving it a nice weathered/worn look. There are now 3 shades of grey/silver (silver paint, tarnished die cast, dark grey plastic) on the figure and I love the overall effect.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I like the dark grey too since it's close to gunmetal and I like dark movie primes(fav DOTM figure is DA28 Striker Optimus). The dark grey goes good with the subdued lighting Bay sometimes used on Prime.

So your copy has no gaps on truck mode? Is there any trick you do?

11. Type-R

News Credits:
    None. I remember the hood not compressing down completely when I transformed it the first time back in June. I recall using quite a bit of force in subsequent transformations and then it kind of started to fit nicely. Maybe that was a "breaking in" of sorts.

I'm not sure if the way I transform it helps but I make sure to push the hips as far into the tail light section as possible. I get the whole top section of the truck pegged in before connecting it to the legs and grill. I leave the ankles unpegged and that helps the pipes in the steps reach the smokestacks. I considered filing down the notches in the steps to allow the pipes to rotate further out. But like you mentioned, it's where the pipes hinge making it tricky, so I shelved the idea.

Also make sure the knee cap armor pieces peg into the slots in the knees to get the right leg alignment got truck mode.

I'd really like to handle the figures of those who are unable to get the truck mode aligned. I'm curious to see what's causing the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Level Six Laser Lotus

Alt mode cab doesnt tab together quite well, but I must say that I dont agree with all of the vitriol that the figure is getting.

13. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Thanks for the tips man. I'll give mine a further inspection. I'd love to know what's making these so gappy

• Like Like x 1
  14. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

After having the Hasbro MP 10 I piss on this MPM figure like Bee pissed on Simmons.

15. meisterman

meisterman Active Member

Batch 71

Mine occasionally goes together fine, but the window tabs are a bit too large for the hole. My main issue is this one tiny little thing that isn't very noticeable...
    IMG_2630.JPG
    except it's pretty noticeable.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I see it, lack of silver paint on 1 side. Is you're a 71306 or 71461? Type-R has a 71461 that tabs correctly in truck mode.

17. meisterman

meisterman Active Member

Neither. 71791. Mine seems to be a fluke since getting it all tabbed correctly has only happened twice out of 20 transformations.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Thanks for noting the number. My theory of later 71's being fault-prone was wrong.

19. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I at this point, am convinced there is indeed a molding error with the 71306 run. On 1 hand I want to try using the soldering iron again, on the other hand, this is been an enlightening, yet annoying experience in attempted toy repair.

Woke up today and looked at the hinge connecting the roof to the headache rack. Believed that may play a part. However, there is not a lot of space to move Prime's head around within. So it's hard to tell what's really throwing it off.

Is it the rivet insertion angle? Try as I could, a few times this week, up until last night, I could not get the bonnet to stay flat. At best I had small gaps under the windshield with the middle of the hood progressively rising up to the windshield a few millimeters.

If the rivet insertion angle IS indeed the cause for 71306 run figures to have gaps under the windshield, then it's a mold error. It would've helped had there been physically locking tabs under the hood panels. I read that the Takara one indeed has those. That would definitely minimize the gap as the hood panels would at least lock onto something to keep them down.

20. meisterman

meisterman Active Member

I don't know if you're still looking into this, but the 71791 run seems to be plagued with errors. Some have the infamous hood gap, but 2 out of 3 that I had from this run had defects. One had missing paint and another was missing a few pins so pieces fell off when I pulled the figure out. I could just be unlucky, but this could prove useful to others.