Is Wheeljack a plot device or character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seeing as how the writers have only used him twice, is he an actual character or just there to move the plot like Miko getting into trouble in season 1 was?

2. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    w/e Tigatron was, that's what he is.

3. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Tigatron was an actual character who appeared more than Wheeljack did.

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know, but he felt waaaay more like a better character in Loose Cannons than in Con Job. He actually had a personality different from the cast we already have rather than being some random guy who's badass for the sake of being badass.

5. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't seen this last episode yet. Still no Wheeljack? I thought he was supposed to be part of the crew now.

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    He only appeared in two episodes so far. He just needs to appear more often so we can see more of his character.

7. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    He's roaming Earth is the excuse the writers use to not have him appear in every episode.

8. Arashistorm

News Credits:
    that's arguable at best. I was a Tigatron fan, but while he appeared in more episodes than Wheeljack has (so far), he was really only ever used as a 'plot device'. Such as 'Predacons are attacking up here in the mountains, I need your help', to which the Maximals would come to help him, or he'd find a strange reading/object. Pretty much the same with Airazor. They started off as characters, and their popularity might have had somethign to do with it, but they ended up as a reason to have another plot happen at the convenience necessary. Wheeljack's only purpose, it seems, is to remain out there, wherever he is in order to bring an episode into action later on..

9. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Hmm my memory must be hazy. I thought Tigatron had did more than that. I do agree on Airrazor though.

10. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

Sadly I think they are using him just as a plot device. I would really like it if he officially became part of the team.

11. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

I'm giving you the Mathemetician's Answer; yes. He's a character when he's there but because he's rarely there, he is often just pulled in when needed.

12. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Nope. And he's the Anti-Tigatron. Blows up nature for the hell of it.

13. Arashistorm

News Credits:
    Tigatron first appeared, and chose to stay with the tigers, the next time we see him, he's being attacked by the Predacons after sending a signal. The biggest parts he had in the series was the episode where everyone was tripping balls because of their 'animal' sides, he helped htem come to terms with them, and then the episode where his tiger buddy, Snowstalker or something, was killed because of an avalance he failed to prevent.

Other than that, he was just reporting every so often and then hung out on the Axalon for the season finale to see everyone turn into transmetals, then ended up vanishing with Airazor (to become tigerhawk for season 3).

He played a small, but more crucial part than Wheeljack, I'll admit, but as of now, Wheeljack only exists for something to happen on his 'adventure' so when he comes back, he can fill us in and get that plot started. I wonder if he'll ever truly join the crew---Bulkhead said it best 'he never stays, but he always comes back'---once per season =P

14. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Ah yeah I remember now. Been a long time lol.

15. Arashistorm

News Credits:
    no prob, im probably forgetting some more eps, but I did watch Beast Wars fairly recently, so my not remembering many other moments can solidify my point ^^ but... I really do hope Wheeljack joins, or at least spends a few eps with te crew before he leaves again =[

16. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Yeah or is killed off due to his Wreckers nature :( 

17. Autob ironhide

Autob ironhide Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just hate the Wheeljack, Tigatron comparing base on how many times they appear since there debut its really unfair Tigatron clearly triples Wheeljacks season 1 and 2 apperances.

18. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

This pretty much sums up why I want Wheeljack to show back up soon.

19. Arashistorm

News Credits:
    Ah man, don't give them ideas! That's terrible =[. It'd be badass, but lol that'd suck, all that time we want him to come back and he just blows up =/

I hated it too at first, but in all honesty its one of the best comparisons we have to make. A character that didn't stay with the main group but continued to help them when he could, who felt it was better to stay where/how we was, etc. It works for now, but yes, while Tigatron doubled appearances, he did remain a plot device at most. Other than the nature lover they made him to be and love interest of Airazor...I loved Tigatron though T.T R.I.P. Big Cat T.T

20. ken8kuhletz08

ken8kuhletz08 JKC

News Credits:
    I posted a somewhat similar thread to this, saying that we need more Wheeljack action in the show, but then I took serious blows from angry people. *_*

We still can't conclude on this until we see the rest of the season, probably when Unicron once again awakens from his slumber and
    Airachnid from her stasis