is UV protection/tinting worth it for me display case?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mweeuser, Jul 19, 2012.

1. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a pretty nice G1 collection and I have a display for all the 84/85 formers. I'm looking at getting a much more open (glass wise) display case and have had a couple concerns with sun already. I think it is mostly my paranoia but a nice jazz did start to yellow in the shoulders/doors. (Now I noticed the jazz after I had taken pics of him and at one point I think he sat under closely lit non-difused CFL lights for at least an hour. I'm not sure if that was the cause or not, probably was. That has been my only bad result of yellowing so it doesn't really argue that I have an issue in my display. One note, the display also never sees direct sun since it's room window is facing the north but does get indirect light. Besides any thoughts on my yellowing so far I'm wondering what others experience and thoughts are on putting UV protection on my new curio. The first estimate I got was $220. That's a huge cost addition and I'm really not sure if it's worth it, especially if it's just to satisfy my paranoia. I'd love some advice. Thanks!

2. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well, isn't it just sun light that effects it? If so, then I think it's over kill.

I could be wrong though.

3. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

ordinary glass windows already block most of the uv

4. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oxygen is your enemy, not the sun light.

5. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

The only safe place to store your Transformers is in the cold vacuum of space. Just make sure that your vessel blocks the sun light though. There's no magnetic field out there to protect you, and nobody will be able to hear your Transformers screaming!

6. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Actually, fluorescent lights can be quite damaging too.

If your display lighting is all incandescent, you're probably ok.

7. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    bump; I am very curious about this myself. I do not have my TFs exposed to direct sunlight but I have several ligth fixtures in my room - most are CFLs although I have the option to use incandescents. Any difference between CFLs and incadescenets? How about LED lights? Any other precautions that I would need to to take tom minimizae UV exposure while allowing for the ability to still display some of my figures in a small space?

8. Shattered

Shattered Well-Known Member

I can only give the benefit of what my limited research on the subject has yielded. As such what I put should be taken with a grain of salt, as it's definitely not non-contestable fact; just my limited understanding.

The yellowing of plastics as others can attest to has happened to figures kept in their original packaging and in an environment devoid of light. According to what I've read this is usually due to the bromine(component of flame ******ent used in plastics) breaking down due to the oxidation process. Which means as others have said you'd need a complete vacuum to ****** the oxidation process.

That's not to say that light doesn't affect the process or even accelerate it but it does mean that it's for the most part it's unavoidable as plastic ages. Limiting the intensity and the amount of the light spectrum your plastic is exposed to may or may not slow the process. The fact that people have kept figures in original packaging and in dark place for storage and still had yellowing indicates that there are other less known or unknown accelerators of this process, perhaps humidity, heat or other undetermined factors.

As such your best bet to slow the process is probably to expose the TF's to as little light as possible and maintain as stable an environment as you can. Such an environment would probably be best if kept cool(as most changes can be slowed by the cold), arid and as consistent as possible.

Another solution is to treat the plastic after the yellowing has happened. Which maybe more tedious and frustrating but is probably the more realistic alternative to fighting yellowing plastic. Here's one of the links I used and that you might find useful. De-Yellowing plastic - the stain isn't permanent after all - Creators Corner - Ex Isle Forums

Forgive my being so long winded, I severely lack in the ability to be concise.