Is Universe Hound and Ravage truly gang-molded?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Soundwinder, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I see this popping up in topics, usually Botcon guessing topics. People take it as a given that if the Hound mold is used, then Ravage must follow suit. But... it seems that he shares almost no sprues with Ravage. The black of Ravage isn't exactly common on Hound (I don't have it in front of me, but I think only the waist and feet have the hard black plastic of Ravage), and Turbomaster and SG Ravage share no plastic colors other than the tail.

I've mentioned this before and the only response I got was one person saying he thinks we've been told that they were gangmolded. I was wondering if anyone had anything more specific.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I meant to make the title "Are..." not "Is..." I had initially started writing "Is Universe Hound gang-molded with Ravage" but changed my mind halfway through.

2. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    As you pointed out they tail is gang molded to Hound, so if someone really wanted to Hound could likely be made without Ravage (just throw away or recycle the tail). I doubt you'd see any cases of that but it is possible (I especially doubt it if Fun Pub is involved as they'd want to get the most out of the tooling available to them).

So short answer is yes but there's no reason to produce one without the other.

Randy

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yes. The upper arms, chest, waist, lower legs, hands, and wheels all share the black plastic used on Ravage.

Edit: Forgot the grill and dashboard.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Yeah, they are gang-moulded. Not extensively, but any gang-moulding, even if for one part, pretty much means you can't have one without the other.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You can just recycle the excess parts.

Cybertron Scrapmetal had his head gang-molded with the Cobybot head, which was only ever used for the Japanese Sonic Convoy giftset (and the BotCon 2006 Custom Class). Hasbro and Takara discarded/recycled the excess heads rather than including them as optional replacements.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Parts of some tools can be blocked off during injection molding if not needed. I suppose it might depend on which part is to be blocked as to if it's worth doing during production. A small part within a larger tree of parts would probably just be recycled along with the rest of the excess for simplicity's sake.

7. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depending on how the flow is this is most likely IIRC. I've worked on parts that were for repair of previously sent out product where parts of the die were closed off. Scrapping excess or recycling the extra is avoided as much as possible because the plastic degrades the more it's used. Usually good for a 70/30 virgin regrind mix.