Is Universe Classics Really Going On Hiatus When The ROTF Line Comes Out?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 25, 2008.

1. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could care less, really, Universe was a bunch of worthless releases for me, the only one I want is HotShot, and he's not even in the same movie-knockoff style as the current Universe toys.

2. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Movie... Knockoff?

What in the heck does that mean

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really don't know I just wanted to use that word, but it's not like that matters, I still could care less about Universe getting shafted because I didn't like anything at all.

4. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

im sadden by the upcoming hiatus but you know what, its a blessing cuz now i can focus on what i call back collecting. when classics first stopped, i went back and got into gi joe and star wars a bit (i sold all my star wars toys) so with this haitus i can give more to gi joe and my sneakers. also if i wanna be smart, save up for when the line comes back.

5. Buzzer-Bot

Buzzer-Bot Kamikaze

*Sighs*

It's such a bad idea to clash ROTF on the 25th anniversary.But I hope they can carry on until at least end of July next year.

6. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Profound reasoning. To each his own, I guess.

7. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn Well-Known Member

Yay, more time for Henkei!

I wonder if Henkei will get new molds out before Universe, this time around.

8. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I think that a few of the Universe offerings could possibly show up in the Movie packaging. Look at Superion.

9. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm fine with it just as long as the line doesn't drag on as long as the first movie line did.

10. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I don't mind Universe going on hiatus for a while ROTF is out. Universe, while giving us some great new moulds, has also suffered heavily from redecos of older figures. As...um...someone...stated before, Hasbro has been focused on designing and producing the new movie figures, which hasn't allowed them much time to work on new Universe figures. Going on hiatus for a while will give Hasbro time to design some all new Universe figures, that will most likely rock our socks off.

That said, I highly disagree with the OP's statement that the Transformer fandom gets shafted more than any other fandom. How many homages to obscure G1 characters has Universe had now? Sure, they haven't all been new moulds, but still, when was the last time Blaster or Springer was in anything? I haven't seen much of the Unicron Trilogy, but I don't recall ever seeing Blaster past G1, outside of Japan. Universe has given many collectors new, updated versions of obscure characters that most people who buy the toys nowadays haven't even heard of. So I'm sorry, but Hasbro far from "shafts" us.

If you want to talk about a fandom that gets "shafted" by the company making toys for it, take a good long look at Gundam. For a very, very long time, the only way any Gundam collector could even hope to get a MG Hi-Nu was to buy the original MG Nu kit, then spend a ridiculous amount of money on a third-party resin upgrade kit that had to be sanded, assembled and painted. So that meant only the most skilled of collectors, who also had deep pockets, could get the highly desired Hi-Nu. It wasn't until last year that Bandai finally came out with a MG Hi-Nu kit. That was after almost a decade of people clamoring for one. Instead, they continuously pump out Zaku after Zaku, or redesigned RX-78-2s. Gundam fans are still waiting for a new V2 to replace the sadly lacking supposed HG we originally got...again, about a decade ago.

Do I think that ROTF should replace Universe? I would prefer not, but given the timing, there's nothing to be done about it. And again, as someone previously said, Transformers are enjoying the current popularity due to the first movie. So of course Hasbro wants to make as much as they can by promoting the ROTF toyline over anything else. That's why they do what they do...to make money. And I know that I, for one, will most likely pick up several figures from the sequel's toyline, despite prefering Universe to the Movie toys. We, as a fandom, should be a hell of a lot more grateful than most fans are for just how much Hasbro has actually given us. Instead of whining and complaining that your preferred toyline won't be around for a few months, take a minute and think back to all the new versions of old characters we've just been given. And if ROTF doesn't float your boat, then take that money and save it for the return of Universe, or use to get some older figures you've been wanting, or hell, just save it period. But before you start spouting off about how Hasbro doesn't care about us fans, think for a few minutes about just how many homages, or even complete updates, we've had of long-time favourite characters, not only in Universe, but also in Animated, Binaltech, Masterpiece and other number of lines that have been put out there, some of them aimed specifically at us older collectors.

11. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I'm perfectly O.K. with the ROTF line taking the place of the Universe line for a bit, particularly if that means that Hasbro will continue to develop the latter in between the periods when the former is being filmed. Seems like a good long-term pattern.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I take comfort in the knowledge that it's likely there will be a third movie, and Hasbro and retailers are going to want to fill the space between movie 2 and 3, probably with an un-hiatus Universe.

13. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I look at it this way. I will take a hit and let the money that comes from ROTF pay for part of the funds needed to continue Universe/Classics 2.0.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Woohoo! I made "someone" status!

Ahahaha

15. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hehe...sorry...couldn't remember who it was said that and just couldn't be arsed checking :D 

16. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up seeing a few store exclusives for the Universe toy-line during the first few months that the movie toys are out on the shelves, but I wouldn't expect to see much more than that.

17. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

All good.
    I just hope they're better than the Energo- oh, excuse me, "G1" gestalts.

18. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They'd probably just end up being simple Deluxe repaints if anything.

19. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I fail to see the "bad clash". IMO, releasing a huge blockbuster sequel movie during a 25th anniversary year for any franchise is kinda a good idea...

20. Snow Cat

Snow Cat Well-Known Member

Yeah, this. Sometimes, so-called 'fans' of this franchise amaze me.

'Oh, we don't want any endeavour that Bay/Hasbro/anyone who supposedly doesn't listen to we fans undertake to succeed, because then we can sit back like the self-satisfied fanboys we are and say "We TOLD you so".'

We're getting a Transformers movie in the same year that we have the 25th anniversary of the start of the franchise. That's almost unheard of.

If you don't like the LAM toys, don't buy them. Universe is only on hiatus, it will be back. In the meantime, just try to enjoy the Transformers goodness, and try to come to terms with the fact that it's not 1984 anymore.