Is Ultra Magnus fighting skill is overated in G1 ?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by galvatron1976, Feb 21, 2011.

1. galvatron1976

galvatron1976 Well-Known Member

Hello,do you consider Ultra Magnus fighting skill is overated in G1 and Headmaster serial,he seem get killed easy in Movies G1 cartoon by 4 sweeps and Sixshot in Headmaster ,how can this be ,he is leader in the movies and city commander in the Headmaster serial ,why he got killed so easy by sweeper and Sixshot who are just a follower of the Decepticon and Ultra Magnus body size are bigger than Sixshot ,am i right?

Why Optimus Prime select him as a leader in the movies when his fighting skill are inferior to Sixshot,are because he good friend of Optimus ?,do you think will Optimus will fell the shame if he watched Ultra Magnus killed by Sixshot in Headmaster ?

It look like matrix choose Hot Rod to Become Rodimus Prime as leader was right because Hot Rod have better fighting skill and courage ,am i right?

2. AMG

AMG Old School

I personally find the character to be overrated as a whole. Never been a big Ultra Magnus fan myself, always found him boring to watch.

3. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Screw the cartoons. The OP needs to read the Dreamwave issue where Magnus went toe-to-toe with Shockwave.

5. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus prime

Ebay:

He still nearly ate it and had to shed his armor to survive the situation, but that was a great issue.

Personally, Ultra Magnus was better in the comics. I like his role in the current IDW series. I doubt that Prime would even think to consider handing the Matrix to this Ultra Magnus, well that is if Prime currently had the Matrix.

6. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends what continutiy you are talking about. In some cases you're right, in others, not so much

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can you guess I'm a Magnus fan?

Anyway, I can't recall any specific mention of how great a fighter he was in the cartoon, so its hard to call it "over-rated". I do think he was more comfortable with strategy, a tactician, rather than a street fighter.

But as others have said, why waste time considering the cartoon? For an altogether better portrayal of my favourite Autobot, check out the original Marvel UK comics. He's a great character - not necessarily a better fighter though! In fact, he keeps getting beat up by Galvatron to the point he develops a complete and utter fear of fighting back. Of course, in true hero fashion, he eventually conquers this fear and goes on to give Galvy a good old thrashing.

His first appearance is in "Target: 2006", check it out!

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I've just read Target:2006 and Magnus is definitely not 'underrated' or weak or easily defeated. In fact, he has so much fighting prowess that he battles against Galvatron deliberately not finishing him off as he needs to bring him back to the future alive and in one piece. That takes skill, power and the discipline to use it appropriately. Moreover, the reason Magnus was sent back to retrieve Galvatron is because he is renowned as one of the best (if not THE best) warriors the Autobots have.

As Magnus' Mate said, I never knew of any mention of Ultra Magnus being made a huge fuss of as this great fighter in the cartoons. In fact, in his first appearance he says of himself "I'm just a soldier, I'm not worthy". Sure, he may have humility and leadership potential, but I don't think he was ever made out to be some great hero or warrior.

Personally, I like both interpretations.

9. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I like Ultra Magnus too. Soldier with a solid personality. Doesn't know his own birthday. Tried to kick Rodimus' butt during the hate plague.

10. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always wondered why Ultra Magnus and just about every other Bot targeted Rodimus Prime during the Hate Plague and even after Rodimus Prime had the Hate Plague himself. Anyway, I'm a fan of Ultra Magnus too and always wished he had more of a chance at being the leader.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    In addition to comic Ultra Magnus' awesome battles with Galvatron he was also the main part of Operation: Volcano. Without him it was supposedly doomed to fail, even with the mighty Wreckers involved. Must be something useful about him.
    Even when you hate everything you still hate Rodimus Prime just a little more. :p  They just needed the excuse to gang up on him. "It was the Hate Plague that made me do it. Honest."

12. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    You don't need AWSUM fighting skills to be able to lead...

13. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

:lol