Is Transtech Viable?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by darksage78, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Well after what seems to be many people who think that the movie designs are alot like Transtech, if this movie does well will Transtech follow? Of course from the initial reception, its probably half like it, half don't like it. But looking at it from what I think is the continuity G1 -> BW -> BM -> ??? Possibly Transtech could be Hasbro's way to clarify over the techno-organic balance. If so, how would the storyline take place if it were integrated into the main continuity? It would be a great chance to link the BW characters with G1 characters.

This may have been brought up before but I just finished watching BM from start till end and really only one major thing bugged me about it. The unrealistic transformations from beast to robot. The vehicons were mainly mass shifting parts, but reasonable. With the new movie coming up, the transformations seem really complex with lots of moving parts. From the Draxhall concept art people have pointed out the detail of gears, etc just like the movie designs. Though the exact transformation of the Transtech characters were never shown, it could follow the similar transformation of the movie bots.

Well the main reason why I think Transtech is something Hasbro should pick up is that its got great potential after the movie or TF: Heroes, since the designs are similar to that of the movie. Also I noticed how Megatron said in BM, "today Cybertron, tomorrow the Matrix" well I thought maybe if they continued into Transtech, Megatron could go after Prime or whoever had it after Rebirth could be on Earth with the Matrix. Of course Megatron is dead, but you never know with his cloning and access to the Oracle I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to copy himself. Galvatron may run as himself from the G1 continuity.

Was just an idea I thought of while watching BW and BM this holiday, I was around during the BW and BM saga so please excuse any inaccuracies about the G1 storyline if I messed anything up in there.

2. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Transtech barely made it past planning stages over 6 years ago. there will be no Transtech.

If a future series goes back to the G1 world, it will not try to dwell on the less known and less liked sequel series.

You know how Superman Returns kind of ignored Superman 3 and 4? and how Batman Begins threw out the prior Batman films? Its like that. its not a mess worth cleaning up. Transformers is ultimately a kids show and kids toy, and the target audience was wearing huggies when Beast Machines ended, and Beast Machines hasn't been repeated on US tv since the finale. Why would any child care about how Beast Machines, a show they'd likely never seen, ended?

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed, I don't think Transtech was ever developed far enough to be worth worrying about. At best some of the designs would be tweaked or reworked to appear in future lines - many already have with varying degrees of faithfulness to the early drawings. I swear one or two of those Speed Planet vehicles in Cybertron were lifted straight from a Draxhall-Jump drawing.

4. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    Transtech is a cool enough name, though, that if it hasn't be used b someone else, i could see Hasbro busting out the name again down the road...

5. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I'd have to agree with artiepants on this one. You will see a line called "Transtech", but it will likely not directly follow any of the designs that you've seen.

6. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

to quote orson after being asked the names of the factions in transtech: "i hate those things"

i remember in one of the first botcon videos featuring him he says "it just wasn't where we wanted to go" meaning that hasbro didn't make enough money from beast machines to continue making US exclusive stuff.

7. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Sooo as long as he's around, we won't see those horrible designs drudged up? Hooray for Orson!

8. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Transtech will never be made, but it does seem like those designs serve as an idea bin for designers to occasionally go back to.

9. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Both Cheetor and Starscream made it to the hardcopy stage as toys, so who knows for sure?

Personally I think that since Armada, Energon, and Cybertron have borrowed so many design cues from the Transtech concepts, it will never see the light of day as its own line, but rather just used for ideas and inspiration when the designers need it.

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Transtech lives on in all our hearts.

No really, I love Transtech and it's a shame we never got it. However, we have gotten toys that borrow heavily from the designs in A/E/C and hopefully beyond. Personally I hope that one day Hasbro produces the Cheetor and Starscream molds because they looked great.

11. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Waxing nostalgic last night, looking over the Transtech drawings, I was half surprised that nobody's come up with a list yet of Transtech-influenced designs (with visual comparisons) in the Armada-Energon-Cybertron-Classics lines. At least not one that I've seen.

In any case, here's one that I've noticed quite recently:

Classics Wave 2 Mini-con Dreadwing:

[​IMG]

shares a strikingly similar silhouette with the finalized design for Transtech Silverbolt:

[​IMG]

I'm not saying it's exactly based on but, given the way the wings sweep down from the shoulders and how the arms hang, and the tiny torso/long dancer's legs combo with the pointy crotch bit, I'm saying is possible that whoever designed the figure may have glanced at the Transtech designs while brainstorming.

Can anyone else come up with similar examples?

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

It would be easier to identify if that link with all the known Transtech designs was posted here. I know for a fact though that Armada SS shared a design with his Transtech self, almost being directly copied. If anyone has that Transtech link, it would be appriciated if it was shared here.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I worked out how TT Starscream transformed when I built him in 3D, and they actually transform completely differently:
    http://www.tfu.info/2002/Decepticon/Starscream/starscream.htm
    compared to
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Well it's obvious there are slight differences, but the basic layout is dramatically similar. The arms are still in the same spot in both versions, as are the legs. Only they fold up in a different fashion, they're still serving the same purpose. In TT the nosecone goes back while the Armada one has it go down, which is one of the few things the armada one does better IMO. The wings and shoulders are also strikingly similar and could have easily worked either way on both designs. The body/torso looks almost exactly the same, when Armada's nose is up at least. And the TT has it's tail fold down, which the Armada one *could* have and *should* have done if not for the crappy action feature.

In fact I think it was the awesome 3d renders you did that pointed out all the similarities to me when I first saw it. There are a LOT of commonalities between the two designs, too much so to be mere coincidence. Armada SS was clearly based on the scrapped, yet IMHO superior, TT design. I know I would prefer having the TT SS, even if he was blue, over the armada one any day.

15. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There were different faction names for Transtech? What were they supposed to be?

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Thank you for the compliment :) 
    The middle of the jet becoming the upper body is the same (despite more mechanics being involved - the section with the arms moves), yes; however there are a fair few differences. The wings fold down to the side, the nose goes back behind the head, the legs are totally different (they fold the length of the fuselage, and bend forward in the knee), the rear is totally different (as you mentioned). You're definitely right in the style being carried over to Armada though; personally I consider the TT Starscream design to be nothing short of a work of art.
    I don't remember the Autobot name, but I believe the Decepticons were to be called Immorticons.

17. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    No, Immorticon was the name of one of the bad guys, not the name of the faction itself...

18. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Two that come to my mind immediately are Armada Megs and Armada Scavenger.

Immorticon was the tank transformer, I believe they just redesigned the Autobot and Decepticon insignias for TT.

I think TT could have gone the dark storyline way if Hasbro decides to do it. I mean there are still a lot of unused designs from TT. Hopefully Hasbro does justice for them and delivers a third part of the Beast Era. So far IMO Beast Wars and Machines are still way better than the A/E/C trilogy and that if they could do something as good as Beast Wars/Machines we should get one again. I think TT would be a nice way to see the end of the BW/BM saga.

19. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

IDW could do a Transtech story in their Evolutions line.
    I reckon with someone like Nick Roche on pencils it'd be good.

20. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd be happy if they just found a way to use the Transtech Starscream design. I really liked what I saw in the pics of his prototype.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.