Is Transformers Becoming Similar To The Star Wars Phenomenon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, May 27, 2007.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I was just sitting here thinking to myself that TFs is becoming very mainstream and the fandom of TFs is becoming VERY similar to the Star Wars fandom.

TFs went from a darkhorse hobby to something that is extremely huge and has the potential longevity of the Star Wars saga.

What do you guys and gals out there think?? Agree? Disagree? Any similarities between the fandom of the two franchises you'd like to point out?

THANKS FOR POSTING!!

2. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I think both fandoms are just as knowledgeable and serious about their interest/hobby. Though, I do think it's more sociably acceptable at the moment to be a SW fan. We might see that change if the movie is well received, but right now if you mention TFs to a random person I don't think they would have the same instantaneous association with Optimus as they would with Vader or Luke if you mentioned SW.

3. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    SW socially acceptable? It used to be around '97, but now it's been reduced to Trekkie status. TF is very much considered a cool thing still, with many hipsters sporting TF clothing etc.

4. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At least we don't have rival Go-Bot fans like SW fans have Trekkies as rivals.

5. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    For the love of god, please don't encourage the idea! :lol 
    *points to "Gyro-robo" sketch on 'ROBOT CHICKEN'.*

6. AMG

AMG Old School

TFs and SW are both huge and long lasting franchises. Both have devoted fans across multiple decades.

I think Star Wars may be stronger at the moment. But during the 80's, TFs were toe to toe with Star Wars in overall popularity.

The new movie may put them neck and neck again. We'll have to see how things play out.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As much as I love TF, the franchise still lags behind SW...let's hope the movie enhances the TF legacy! :D 

8. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I don't see TRANSFORMERS as being anywhere near in the same league as STAR WARS. The latter has crept into the public conciousness in a way TF can only dream of. People use names and words from the SW lexicon without even knowing it, and when my Nan sees me watching something science-fiction related she always asks "Is this Star Wars?" (It invariably is not!).

We have to remember that when Star Wars first came along, there was literally nothing else like it about. That's why it was so successful and swept people up so completely.
    Now, 'sci-fi spectacle' films are the norm (expected, even!) and even rather passé for some. No new movie will ever have the impact of Star Wars, regardless of it's quality.
    The TRANSFORMERS movie may certainly help elevate the franchise beyond it's 'kiddie stigma' to some level of public acceptence, but never to the degree of George Lucas' baby.

9. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

A dream indeed. As much as I love Transformers, Star Wars has the larger fanbase overall. If I recall correctly, Australia actually has Jedi as a legal religion; can anyone confirm that for me? I doubt we'll be seeing Unicron and Primus on stained-glass windows anytime soon.

~Z

PS: Transfan chicks are way hotter than Starwars chicks. Word.

10. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Similar, yes, if only in the way the geeks get crazy about it. Not so much on the same scale, but a very 'geeky' thing nonetheless.

11. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Don't forget Star Trek came BEFORE Star Wars so if anyone should feel alienated it should be Trekkies.

It would be akin to GoBots suddenly becoming bigger than Transformers because TF was here first.

12. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  13. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

I remeber when I bought the 20th Anniversary Edition of the TF movie and had my g/f watch with me. We had only been going out for like a month or 2 atm, so this was new to her. But I remeber she kept saying it reminded her of SW. Not so much to me, it never did when I was kid. Now she has turned away from that.

But I dont see these ever really comparing. You must keep in mind, there are many problems and chars in SW that society can identify with. A father and his son's love, politics, revenge, sacrifices, destiny blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda u get the point. Say TF and ppl just think toys, Allen Dean Foster first thought "Yay kiddie toys" when he was to write the novel, while we know where Bay stands as well.

14. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Star Wars has fans that aren't toy collectors because of the movies and other Fiction out there.

I would think that because transformers were first and foremost toys, it would take a little more to bring it up to the status of StarWars or even star trek.

And in all honesty, that is fine with me....

15. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:

16. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I gotta disagree here. I've been to a few Botcons and the women are few are far between. Of those, very few are "hot". Now the women at Star Wars conventions? There are a lot more of them there and a good portion of them are good looking. I wish I would have been at C4 to see the Slave Leia get together.

17. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

And the 'Fem Troopers'.... Yikes! :thumb 

18. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. I'm sure it'll beat starwars to death since 'our' concept is much more advanced than 'theirs'. Hell they even started using our concept in their universe (Star Wars Transformers). It'll take a while though.

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Transformers will never be as socially acceptable as Star Wars. Star Wars was a cultural phenom that changed movies forever. Everyone has a connection to Star Wars in some way or another. Star Wars is celebrated by the freaking USPS for crying out loud. To even begin to compare the importance SWs to TFs is kind of silly. And I love Transformers...

20. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In all fairness, the USPS will basically celebrate whatever you pay them to celebrate. The more you pay to promote your movie or event (SW Anniversary) the more promotion they do.