Is Transformers Animated dead to Hasbro?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by War Bearer, May 9, 2010.

1. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

I noticed Transformers Animated is getting a shafted from Hasbro such as discontinuing the DVDs and not releasing season 3. No mass release for the remaining figures and cancelled figures.

2. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Yes the series is over.

Hasbro will now focus on Generations, PCC,Movieverse and TF:p rime toys.

The only hope we have is if Takara decides to make some new moulds for the show.

3. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    I thought characters like Rodimus would be part of the Generations line at some point.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Rodimus will be released this fall. The DVDs, don't hold your breath.

Is TFA dead to Hasbro? They're doing a hell of a lot more than they need to be for a dead toyline/series.

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Ironhide and Rodimus are getting released at TRU this fall in Animated packaging. Anything else after that is still up in the air. Nothing is off the table for Hasbro, it's just that retailers don't want to touch Animated at this point, what with the show being over and movie stuff being what's hot. If we're going to see any more toys beyond what's been planned/announced/leaked, it's going to be incorporated into a Universe-styled line.

We're not seeing anymore Animated DVDs at the time because as Animated was a joint venture between Hasbro and CN, both have to be actively involved with release plans, and playing nice with each other isn't top priority for either. It has nothing to do with Hasbro hating fans, or completely jumping ship either.

6. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

yeah,hasbro has abandoned animated (not completely) at the moment,but it doesn't mean the series is dead in general *cough*takaraandjapan'sduboftheshow.*cough*

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Well, yeah, Animated is dead. It has been for a while. Hasbro said they're going to try and get the remaining toolings out somehow, and Rodimus and Ironhide are set for a TRU exclusive release later this year.

Animated is over. The show has long since ended, and retailers have forgotten the whole line. There's not much Hasbro can do that they're not doing.

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As for the DVDs, the license expired before Paramount could release season 3. With any luck Shout Factory will be able to pick it up and release the complete series.

As for Hasbro/CN, it all depends on how the media rights were negotiated. CN could have simply been contracted to create the show and broadcast it exclusively on their network for a period of time, leaving the DVD rights in Hasbro's hands. I have a feeling this is the case, given all the trouble Hasbro went through to get all the rights back for all of the TF series (except RID of course).

9. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I was hoping for a Grindor ;_; Oh well. Can't always get what I want.

10. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Hasbro has nothing to do with any of that. The retailers dont want Animated because it clogged shelves compared to the movie toys that they cant get enough of. Fact is if Walmart and Target wanted Animated toys, Arcee and Ratchet wouldn't have been exclusives and we wouldn't be struggling to get Rodimus and Blackout and all the other unreleased toys, we'd have them already. Keep in mind, development and mold production takes most of the cost of a figure, to produce toys all the way to the master mold point like they've done for Rodimus and Blackout, means they would lose less money by releasing the toys.

As for Animated DVDs, it's been stated before, the license expired. Eventually I expect to see a season 3 but it depends on sales of the season 1 and 2 DVDs, again it has nothing to do with Hasbro, it's all to do with the market and the demand, and much as we all hate to admit it, the demand for Animated just isn't there, not from the general audience at least. It's also because Hasbro's doing their own network soon and Animated was a joint project with Cartoon Network, meaning they now have to get their competition to release their cartoon, not the easiest thing in the world to do.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Well, they happened to sell out pretty much everywhere, almost immediately. finding copies at any online store (that isnt ebay) is almost impossible. hell, I never even had the chance to get them.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Hasbro is doing what it can to get some stuff out as exclusives, but when you look at all the stuff Hasbro has coming out soon between Power Core, Generations, a new cartoon, whatever toys will come with the new cartoon, a video game, and then gearing up for another live action movie you can kind of understand why they can't do much about Animated at this point.

13. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    At this point, as long as they release Thundercracker, Blackout, Hydrodive BB and Wingblade Prime, I can live without the remaining Deluxe and Voyager redecoes.

Animated sold well enough, but compared to the record-breaking sales of the first movie, it wasn't good enough for Hasbro and especially for retailers. Animated was developed before the movie came out, and once it came out, Hasbro realized they'd be better off doing something with closer synergy to the Movie franchise. Plus big changes happened after 2007 at Cartoon Network: Sam Register, the producer, left CN for Warner Animation, CEO Jim Samples left CN in the middle of Animated's production and was replaced by the now infamous Stuart Snyder, and under his reign, not only Transformers Animated, but Chowder and other CN shows were not renewed, and the Cartoonstitute project was canceled half-way due to budget concerns. It was a great series plagued with unfortunate timing. If it had come out before the Movie, maybe it would have gotten an extra season or two. It hardly ended the way it did because it was a complete failure in sales: Hell, just ask Hasbro.

My only hope is that if Hasbro continues getting bigger, maybe if CN doesn't hold onto their share of the IP rights for dear life, maybe in a few years time, Hasbro could get Marty, Derrick and co. to do an Animated DTV movie to wrap up any loose ends. Or at least get a comic series ala 'The Arrival', but unless it's written by Marty, there's no point. Beast Wars had a good run, and G1's been run into the ground, especially with the high-budget game War for Cybertron. Animated, more than any other franchise, deserves a few more stories in its universe. And that's probably impossible, but hey, I remain hopeful, that somehow, someday, it might happen.

tl;dr Animated was a victim of numerous outside problems, sold well enough and deserves future stories at some point in the future, preferably by Marty. Is it dead to Hasbro? For now, from a marketing standpoint, absolutely: kids want Movie. But maybe someday it'll get another shake; after all, Hasbro gave Beast Wars and especially G1 more time in the sun: why not Animated?

14. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

In my area it's the movie toys which are clogging shelves. Do you know how many Mudflaps are hanging up at my local Toys R Us, Target, and Walmart? Enough to build a clone army for the Republic; that's how many

The movie toys are totally warming up the shelves, and it's the Animated toys which are selling really quick. At least in my neck of the woods.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    mudflap isnt movie toys, he's movie toy. nobody anywhere wants tuner mudflap.

16. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I still hope we get Wingblade Optimus and Blackout.

17. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Mudflap was an example...
    No movie toys are selling in my area at all. This also includes the Bludgeon two pack, Ravages, etc.

18. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

I have a question. Does anyone think that maybe they're not releasing Season 3 because they might broadcast the episodes on the new Hasbro channel? By not releasing the DVDs, they're creating scarcity, and therefore demand might increase for rebroadcast on the new channel (if they have the rights from CN)? Just a theory.

19. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if TF:Animated is pupular? In any forms. TFA is meant to be extremely hillarious, to the point that the storyline doesn't make sense (By G1-standard),

and I don't think that Japanese TF fans are happy with "Americanization" either! even if they aware that TFA is a "joint venture" of Hasbro and CN. renaming certain dudes in Japanese release (Bulkhead to Ironhide(green), Ironhide(Red) to Armorhide) just makes another headache of how does the contract between Takara and CN-Hasbro looks like for this continuity? If it forbades any rename. how does Bulkhead got the name Ironhide?

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    no...?