Is Transformer horror viable?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jul 31, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I'm not a big fan of horror, but looking at the SPOTLIGHT: Kup comic where he took on various zombies (only to be revealed that he'd gone Norman Bates nuts and was scrapping his own Autobot mates), I wondered whether a TF horror story could be viable.

It could happen in two routes:
    The sci-fi horror route, similar to ALIEN (a predator sneaks aboard a TF facility and starts eating its inhabitants) or THE FLY (a Transformer is spliced with alien DNA and starts turning into a monstrosity); or even an adaptation of the G1 episode AUTOBOT SPIKE, where a human's brain is implanted into a Transformer.

Or the supernatural horror route that Japan has perfected, an analogy of THE GRUDGE (some Decepticons kill an Autobot and their angry ghost starts attacking them) or TOKYO MEGALOPOLIS (a Transformer sorcerer kidnaps a woman to use her child as a medium for the power of Primus).

There's a lot of potential in TF horror. But it would probably only really apply to the horror fans, outside I'm not too sure. What do you think?

2. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Just give DOTM Laserbeak his own movie already. Perfect TF horror film.

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Oh the wonders that would do to toy sales...

4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I kinda was expecting some horror story involving the quints when I read Spotlight: Wheelie. That would be cool.

5. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

We already had horror in Transformers. It was called Beast Wars.

6. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    You're both wrong, it was bayformers Optimus and whatever he did to the Fallen.

7. gregles

gregles quintesson

idw sort of did it with that infestation crosssover/spin off and transformers prime episode predatory was pretty much a horror episode so yeah it can cross over a little but obviously the cartoons main demographic is children so they can't push things too far down this route

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
  9. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Bayformers was a cool horror flick. Beast Wars was more like the unwatchable B-movie horror on Netflix.

10. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sure it's viable, there've been a bunch. The cartoon's "Dweller in the Depths", the comics' "City of Fear". Even your ALIEN comparison has just happened in the last couple of months, in IDW's More than Meets the Eye with the Sparkeater, a monster that stalks an Autobot ship, eating victims.

11. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I'd say so. I've always looked at the Quintessons, Sharkticons, etc. and that whole angle of the TF mythos as being at least one ideal place to explore more horrific territory.

Not to mention stuff like the fused Ratchet/Megatron whatsit from near the end of the Marvel run...I can't even look at that full-page splash without thinking of that gross split-faced pile of fused bodies from "The Thing".

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think it's entirely possible. You're looking at a show which is very adaptable by nature - we're had all sorts of different Transformers incarnations along the way. Like it or not, Kiss Players demonstrated you can make a Magical Girl series of Transformers, and if you can manage that, horror should be a piece of cake. As gregles mentioned, Predatory and Infestation had all the hallmarks.

It is something I do like seeing, though I'd not want a whole series on that level. Just the occasional dip into the area, like Spotlight Kup was.

13. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah. I think Spotlight: Kup served as a little "detour" from the normal war. It was, literally, the "horrors of war." But even as a horror story gets a one-off, so should other aspects of life, like bots chilling (the Lost Light's bar) and joking around (pretty sure there's an MTME that consists entirely of one liners.) Everything in balance.

14. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Of course Transformers horror is viable. We've had plenty of scary stuff already: the Dweller in the Depths, Beast Wars Rampage, Tarantulas, Beast Machines Megatron, the horrific fridge logic behind reprogramming a Transformer (cerebro-shells and regular reprogramming), Dark Energon & the Terrorcons (when they move like Cliffjumper did), Airachnid, a lot of the Bayformers stuff if played with and explored more than the movies did (and just Laserbeak in general), and a whole lot of IDW's stuff, like Overlord and the DJD.

That's just the stuff that was already demonstrated. There are plenty of other concepts that can be twisted to suit the horror genre: Quintessons as Lovecraftian horrors that enslaved the Transformers ages ago, Minicons as little figures that bond with the Transformer, granting the subject power but undermining its thought processes until the Minicon takes complete control, and even the Decepticons in general can be pretty damn horrific if you take a minute to examine them, their mission, and the consequences of their actions, like the Chicago massacre, for example.

15. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had an idea for a Decepticon that turns into an old 1958 series 62 Cadillac.

[​IMG]

And this guy, he would find a way to download his mind into a computer and convert his whole existence into digital coding. He'd exist within the mainframe of any and all linked computers and could hack his way into Autobot computers too and all that fun stuff.

So when the Autobots hit the recharge beds and go into sleep mode, he'd be waiting there in their dreams for them. If you die in his nightmare, you die for real! :p 

I swear that caddy keeps showing up in the Elm Street movies.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's viable, but only within the greater "sub-genre" of transformers, and it's probably more viable within the comics than other mediums. A transformers horror story comic issue, maybe a single episode of a series or short online or on a dvd, but not an entire un-related show or ongoing series.

17. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

BW rampage and TFP airachnid are oh so perfect for a transformers horror series

18. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 MTMTE Sucks Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    of course TF horror is viable. didn't you watch the movies? :p 

but seriously, i think TF horror could only work if it were made in the form and fashion of Spotlight comics. that way it's only a small group or one against something terrifying

19. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

It would probably have to be married to another genre, like action/adventure, as opposed to the Bayverse's action/comedy leanings.

I could see it as a miniseries, like the Legend of Korra's first season, so that the horror elements don't get played out.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    That's what Terrorcons are for.....

I guess Unicron could also be considered since he is pretty much Robot Satan.