Is Toys R Us in Trouble?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Kaijumaster, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Just thinking out loud.

I hadn't read anything to that effect, and they were still receiving exclusives and early releases, but thier prices are far higher.

I started noticing this about 2 years ago that they were just slightly more.
    Than last Year Rodimus was $10 more than advertised at Botcon.

Now with the Prime Line Voyagers are a full $7 more than Target or Walmart.

Obviously TRU isn't AS LARGE as those stores, but the diffrence in cost is starting to become VERY apparent.

My Wife collects "Fidgets" and those are $10 more at TRU than competitors.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Well, they are trying to make more money while the others don't have the toy yet. Maybe they're just too lazy to fix the prices when the toys come out in other stores.

3. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

TRU has lost the edge it had back in the day.

It is a toy store, where Walmart, Target and Meijer are not. Also do u see how the toy sections double now in fall at every store as well? That was TRU's bread and butter of years before that.

Therefore they have to meet margins on toys, whereas the other do not, that is reflected in prices.

TRU outlasted Childs Worlds and now KayBee as well.

I think we may see them die on our lifetime if they do not change with the time as well.

I feel bad for all you folks younger than me who never got excited for a JCPenney or Sears catalog with the new toy lines. Before every toy was a fucking series of shittily distributed waves.

Give me Ventures, Zayres, McDade's, Service Merchandise, Tepe's and Riss back and I will never go to Walmart again.

Contrary to what people say, what you do makes a difference and if enough people do it, it works.(aka Walmart peoples, anyone get walmart people picture emails, if so email me as I dont get them anymore)

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They've been doing this for years. If it's popular, TRU raises prices to maximize profits. Happened with their animated exclusives. sold like mad, so they started bumping the prices up it got to the point where for a while, some TRU stores were trying to sell rodimus for $18, up from an original 10.99 or so. Unfortunately for them, the price incrase pushed buyers away and now all this time later, many are still sitting on inflated-price rodimus figures.

It doesn't mean they're in trouble, it just makes them dicks.

5. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    You forgot Big Wheels!

6. Allsparky

Allsparky Pour la chevalerie!

Seems like I heard about several store closings nationwide on here last year or year before. I hope they make it! In my area, they're like the last american holdout of "toy stores". Man I miss Kaybee! Walking into Kaybee at the mall was like leaving the mall and stepping foot into this magical realm! That's not something based on childhood memories either as that sentiment carried over into adulthood for me as well.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    It's just typical "TRU tax".

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    They've been in trouble for more than a decade now. If anything, they've been on the comeback trail the past 5 or so years. There was a point in the late-'90s/early-2000s when it was starting to look like they might cease to exist. They did some restructuring, closed a bunch of locations, and somehow, it seems like they've pulled through.

9. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I think Toys R Us is owned by rich guys who live in mansions and want to become even more rich. I bet their price scalping for Prime toys will stop once Target and Walmart decide to get Prime toys for all their stores.

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well that, or maybe they've just got a really good supply chain managment when it comes to toys because its what they do above all else, while comparable retailers have to juggle everything under the sun. Could be that, too.

11. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Actually many of the toy companies have agreements in place to get TRU their toys months before the other guys as a way to keep TRU propped up. I know at the very least both Hasbro and Lego do this. It's in the toy companies best interest to not let TRU fail because the other guys carry such smaller selections year round.

From my friends inside TRU the holiday season was far from a home run, I know the store near me was laying off their Christmas help in early December and the non-stop hours ended up costing more in extra payroll than they gained in sales.

And I'll echo that I really miss the Sears, Montgomery Wards & JC Penny catalogs. Those were a tradition for my sister and I and we looked forward to it every year!

12. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I keep hearing of people with TRUs that jack prices to ridiculous levels but the two I've always gone to here have never done that, I still find Transformers there for normal retail...

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Prices at the ones in my area are pretty normal, too - except for the $15 Animated Cybertronian Ironhide.

14. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're just charging more in general which is a bad business tactic considering what they're selling. If they don't start lowering their prices, they might end up in trouble down the road as Walmart and Target slowly erode TRU's profits. What's keeping TRU alive are the exclusives and early releases. But that is not a permancent solution to any company.

15. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    It is also probable that Walmart & Target sell their toys as a loss leader to get people into the stores.

16. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Sad truth of the strong rollback haha.

17. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I noticed at my TRU, prices for the Monster High dolls that my daughter collects are about $10 over Wal-Mart. I did expect that TRU might be a little higher, but not to that degree.

Can't say for TF's, as there's not a deluxe to be found at my TRU - just DotM Cyberverse and Ultimate Optimus Prime.

18. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Over in my area, TF Deluxes vary in price. Generations cost $13.99 USD and DOTM cost $11.99 USD. Not great but not too terribly overpriced either. Star Wars figures are about a dollar more per figure, but the Lego's are the ones where some sets are around $10 more compared to other stores.

19. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    the TRUs in my area have several pegs of each kind of figure and a different price on every one, not only that but the same figures or figure types are on several different aisles, when i go to TRU, I feel like im Ralph from the Simpsons and "I'm on an adventure!"

seriously tho, they dont have the saturation of other big box stores nor the variety of product or any sort of 'consumables' that draw ppl in, plus they have adult collector and exclusive stuff you wont find in other stores, so its kinda understood why some of their prices are higher.

20. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also just opinion but...
    It seams like toysrus buys in lower quantities but more often then target or Walmart
    Last year I sent most of my shopping at toysrus cuz they got new product first
    They have got me to buy items I normally wouldn't with their rewards discounts

Sadly baby'srus is still doing better then toysrus and their product is taking more and more floor space