Customs: Is this worthwhile? Ball-jointed Universe Prowl neck replacement

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ShadowStitch, Mar 31, 2009.

?

Would you like to have this balljoint neck part?

Poll closed Apr 14, 2009.
  1. Yes! Sign me up for one!

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Sure, I might take one if it was cheap.

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. It's interesting, but I can live without it.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. I really don't see the need for it at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, the modification just seems like too much work.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Absolutely not, I don't like the way it looks.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Basically, what I've done here is crafted a replacement part for Universe Prowl/Smokescreen/Silverstreak that eliminates the "Ascot" look, and I want to know if anyone else might be interested in such a thing. I'm trying to decide it would be worthwhile to mass produce some of these for general consumption, or stick with making just a handful of them for myself, in white, black, or possibly blue. Take a look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please ignore the other carving I've been doing on the head itself. :p 

This mod requires pushing out the pin under the hood, swapping out the neck part, and replacing the spring and pin. From there, you can do one of two things: You can either lop off the ball joint and re-insert the pin from the OEM part, which will give you a 360ยบ neck without modifying the head, or you can carve out a little socket inside the head, to mount on the ball. That will add the ball-jointed functionality to the neck, BUT you will probably have to glue the head together, as the screw channel runs right through where the ball joint needs to be. It's still a very DIY sort of project, but the part I created is a good starting point, and it doesn't affect the transformation in any way.

Personally, I prefer the non-giraffe-neck look, but what do you think...horrible? awesome? useless? pointless?

I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt to offer custom parts like this, the (rejected) Hound gun stabilizer, or any of the other interesting hush-hush things I'm working on, or continue to keep them to myself... thanks!

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    really nice, it's good to see it fits in the hood still also.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I think there might be some interested parties out there for this. I might be one of them (can't stand the tall neck on those molds--they don't look bad, they just don't look "good" either). You've done some nice work on this, as F_R mentioned. How much would you charge for these, out of curiosity? I'd possibly be interested in about 3 of these, depending on cost and shipping.

4. ShadowStitch

I'm not sure, but probably just like a buck apiece, with a stamp or two for shipping. Just enough to cover the resin casting supplies I'd need to make a few, provided there were interested parties. It's not as if it's a terribly large or complex part, it would just be service to help out other people who wanted them.

I've done casting before, so it's not a big deal to actually cast them, but if there's actual interest I'll go pick up the stuff I need and make a few more prototypes. Black and White resin are easy, but colors are a bit more difficult. I'd considered doing Blue, to match up with Smokescreen, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that level of commitment. XD

(Ironically, I don't even have a Prowl or Smokescreen, just Silverstreak. I had Prowl, but I got rid of him because of his terrible paint and the aforementioned Ascot Neck...)

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Put me down for a few.

6. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would take three for sure. I love this mold but the "I lost at Rock'em Sock'em Robots" look is my only gripe about Prowl, Streak, and Smokescreen.

7. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Design-wise, the giraffe neck piece is responsible for breaking the flatness of the hood. Removing it leaves you with a head on top of a big flat surface, making it look worse.

So unfortunately, my answer is no. If you put the cannons on and place the windshield behind them, a volume will be created at his back, making it visually busy enough to make contrast with the flat hood.

8. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    id want a few as well but im not aure about the whole pin removal bit

9. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Let me know through PM when you're ready to do some and I'll send payment for 4 of them through PayPal, man.

10. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    I understand where you're coming from, but while it does make it more of a flat surface, it also has that G1 'toon feel to it (Prowl always had that rounded/smooth hood). So if you add this piece and do as you said by putting the cannons up and the windshield up a bit, I think it can look very nice (at least for Prowl and Silverstreak--Smokescreen wouldn't look as good with it, imho).

11. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    I like it. It gives him more of a stout apperance, IMO, the mold looks too elongated, not just the neck, but this really helps.

BTW, nice work.

12. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I think that's a nifty little piece, and cool of you to offer it up! Things like this might just get me to buy the mold!:thumbs2: 

13. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    That is awesome! Why didn't they just give them ball joints necks?

14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    If it doesn't, I will :ev: 

15. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

looks great bro, i was thinking the other day of how much I hated how the neck looks on these molds.

I'll take 3 of them when you're ready.

16. ShadowStitch

To be honest, that's the hardest part, and the reason I was uneasy about just offering these parts... I have a lot of little custom "improvement" parts I've created, but some of them take a bit of DIY to make them work -- very few of them are just drop-in solutions.

If you have a soldering iron to heat the pin, it falls right out. I haven't tried hammering one yet, but I'm a little wary of inflicting blunt force trauma upon my toys.

Hmm...I see what you're saying. I like the IDEA of what they were trying to do, but it just doesn't look right to me. I agree there was a certain design aesthetic at work, and I agonized over it for some time -- I tried a few different solutions, changing the neck length many times before I was happy with it. I think it's an awkward mold to begin with, and the head is probably a little smaller than it really needs to be, but as they say... I'm trying to make lemonade here.. It's the reason I didn't like this mold at all, initially.

I justified having it just above the hood because that's a pretty prevalent concept shared among G1 figures. The head is in roughly the same place as it would be normally, except that it's a few mm closer to the body, so the vertical lines of the figure are still intact -- it doesn't look like his head is sprouting from his chest. I think it makes a difference -- certainly it changes the visual impact enough that you noticed a distinction.

In any case, thank you for your input, all of you. I've got a Prowl in the mail, so I'll see about putting together some working test prototypes and take some more photos. I'll probably plan to stick with black and/or white versions for now, though I'll grab a Smokescreen when the Henkei comes out.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Any update on this?

18. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would be interested in these.

19. mr_soundwave

mr_soundwave operation: tidalwave

Great idea, I like the new profile it gives the figure...I'll take three :) 

20. ShadowStitch

Oh wow, has it really been over a month since I started on this? Time flies when you're wasting days on so many random projects... I've been a busy little beaver, but it's slow going.

I'm testing out some alternate ideas, I'll post pics when I get some finished. I finally got my Prowl and Smokescreen, so I'm doing evaluations.

I noticed that when I compared the new neck part to the original neck part, the head was a BIT further forward on the shoulders, and I think it might look a little off...though truthfully no worse off than the Sunstreaker head when turned around for Sideswipe mode...so I'm testing the possibility of using a neck plate like the existing one, but with a flatter profile, so the head is further back on the shoulders. Gonna see what that looks like before I keep piddling with this... And I have some other crap I'm trying to finish as well, that you might like. ;) 

Sorry for the delays!