Is this what IDW meant by "Drift is getting a toy"?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Detour, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
  2. misternoodle

misternoodle Banned

man, shane is developing a rep. is he gonna be like, the pat lee of TF writers or what?

3. Detour

News Credits:
    Business practices-wise, probably not since he doesn't own his own company...

But comparing Pat Lee's artistic skills to Shane McCarthy's writing skills, there's definitely some similarities in regards to a lack of structure, composition and all that jive.
    And just like Pat Lee's art, Shane's writing seems cool at first to the untrained eye but it gets horrible when you start thinking more about what you read.

4. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Hey, I think it's taking it way too far to compare Shane McCarthy to Pat Lee, guys.

I may not like McCarthy's work, but nobody involved Transformers is comparable to Pat Lee anything, due to the sheer magnitude of what happened and how many people (particularly fellow fans) were affected financially and professionally. Pat Lee's artwork is included in this because we know that half of the time he didn't even draw his own pencil work, and always had somebody else doing the backgrounds.

5. misternoodle

misternoodle Banned

background artist are more common than you think. even akira toriyama had help, and this was in the 80s.

pat lee still sucks tho.

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

wow, that kinda, almost, looks cool.

7. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    no vehicle pics? or am I missing something? He does say it transforms, right?

8. Detour

News Credits:
    Well we at LEAST know he drew that awful Prime on that small-time Hong Kong actress's wall, and the quality of that particular piece of work is pretty much on par with the quality of Shane's writing in AHM.

The first of the two links includes an image of Magscinder in car mode. The second one only features the robot mode, which is why I included the first link. :p 

9. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Seems a real stretch to say this "Drift" character was influenced by this shellforming toy that was released 2 years ago. Granted, the alt-mode shares some similarities, but the robot modes look nothing alike.

I thought Magna Formers died out already. Stores clearanced those things out long ago.

10. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    What about the fact that they both have "Drift" written on their sides in katakana? That kind of strengthens the resemblance, I'd say. :p 

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I'm playing devil's advocate, since nearly everyone else here is jumping on the Bash Shane bandwagon.

"Drift" is a really common word to begin with, and it's the name of a racing sport. Frankly, I'm surprised using it as the name of a comic character even got past IDW's legal dept.

People are also overlooking the fact that Shane is a writer, not a concept artist. According to Shane, Guido Guidi is responsible for the character's design.

And somehow I seriously doubt that Shane handed him a crappy TF knock-off-like Magna Formers toy and said, "Oh, and make the car mode look just like this."

12. Detour

News Credits:
    And according to Guido, Shane had considerable input in creating Drift.

Fact still remains that Drift can be "made" using the Magna-former parts, fact still remains that he's got the same deco style, including robot mode bits, and fact still remains that they both have DRIFT written, in katakana, on the car doors.
    That's way too many similarities to be a coincidence.

13. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Let me get this straight, your bitching about a writer for ripping off a toy, that could be considered a rip off of the toy line that the writer writes a comic for?

14. Detour

News Credits:
    Yes. When you're ripping off someone that's already ripping off the franchise that employs you... you're pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrell for ideas. :p 

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I think people are being unfair to Shane. So a self-created character of his resembles a knock-off like product from a couple of years ago. Big deal. I mean, how many times can you make a freakin' robot and have it look NOTHING like any other robot ever made, ever?

Transformers have been based off MANY things for MANY years. Armada Jetfire is based off the space shuttle in the movie Armageddon. Does that make Aaron Archer unoriginal and a horrible designer? Probably not, considering he's the boss of the other designers these days.

My point is this -- every single Transformer you see is based or influenced on something in the designer's head. They may see an awesome anime-like type of vehicle and base it on that. The old Batmobile was an influence on Cybertron Megatron's alt mode. Again, does that make it unoriginal, bland, boring, unprofessional, and laughable? That toy is one of the favorites of many people...

I'm not a fan of his writing. But I'm a writer myself, I'm not usually a fan of anyone's writings because I believe I can do better -- and someday maybe I'll get that chance. But just because I don't enjoy his writing doesn't mean that he's in the same category as Pat Lee.

As FFN said, Pat Lee STOLE money from his employees, LIED to everyone about everything, and took credit for other peoples' work. Shane McCarthy is NO WHERE NEAR the level of Pat Lee, and it's unfair to even begin to compare the two.

My $0.02.

16. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Not to mention there are plenty of drifting race cars that share a similar paint job. 2 seconds worth of google image searching shows this.

17. Detour

News Credits:
    Hm, fair enough, but as I said I was making the comparison strictly based on their actual work, not the swindling, not the credit-taking, not the theft, just what Pat Lee drew and what Shane wrote.

Would you feel better if I compared him to Rob Ruffolo, then? The guy's got similar problems as Pat Lee does, art-wise (lack of perspective, composition, body proportions, etc).

18. Spoon

Spoon Banned

^^This is how took it.

Besides, I think that Shane probably ripped of this toy. His work features zero creativity and he's a bit of a tosser to boot.

I'm not 'jumping' on any proverbial bandwagon, I've always hated McCarthy for his 'work' and, chances are, I'll continue to do so.

19. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I'll never understand how fans can toss the word "hate" around so casually.

And even my gut tells me that regardless of the similarities of this wannabe TF product with a writer-created comic book character, the odds that such a thing actually influenced McCarthy's character just seem so very, very small.

I realize there's some compelling visual similarities, but there are no hard facts here, just conjecture. So unless McCarthy himself admits it, it's simply fan speculation.

20. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Wasn't Armada Jetfire's vehicle based on Galaxy Shuttle? I recall Archer himself confirming it when somebody asked.

Oh, if anybody is wondering, Drift's transformation is (basically) a simpler version of G1 Boss.