Is this the last console generation for some?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by seeker311, May 11, 2009.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Lately my time for video games has been getting smaller due to work and the exciting news that the family will grow +1. Also, given with the economy, bills, rising prices one everything Ive had to wait on purchasing games this year. As the next gen of consoles nears, I find myself thinking that this might be it for me. I love our 360 & PS3, but I dont see myself being able to afford another new console especially with their prices. Also my interest in games has narrowed due to my time constraints.

Anyone else reaching this kind of phase in their life? Im kinda bummed bout it but at the same time feel some comfort in knowing that I continue to have fun with games.

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    No. This console generation has given me almost as many good times as my SNES. I look forward to a bold, new, fat future.

3. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i can't see it being the last at all really. that's just silly.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Not for I, unless something comes along and rapes my finances *touch wood*

5. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    He's not asking if this will be 'the' last generation or will it "your" last.

6. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    hell no only way thatll happen is if Sony takes over and Microsoft stops making systems. I hate Sony with a passion hate my psp but absolutely adore my 360

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I've been saying it after every console purchase for the last 10 years and i've still ended up buying another one, so i'm guesing no.

Money isn't an issue as far as I am concerned, the economic gloom will pass eventually like it always does and gaming stuffs arn't even that expensive after they've been out for a couple of years.

Besides, not everybody has the capacity to attract wimmins or give enougth of a shit about careers to let either get in the way of gaming time.

8. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It depends on how long this generation of consoles last. I don't know my interest is shrinking as well be gaming for a long time now. Hoping to become a father soon and my new job has a lot more travel. Right now I would say I'm in for a PS4 but who knows in a couple years or whenever it happens to be.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL at this.

I am actually grateful for what some gamers complain about...shorter games. I can still afford to buy one game a month, but I hate knowing that unlike before, I can no longer afford to play 40+hour games. I don't mind giving that to an RPG, but if the next Resident Evil or God of War hits 10-15, then that's fine with me, because games won't be left unfinished.

10. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I see the concept of a "gaming console" changing even more in the coming years. They're already more of an "entertainment system" than just a gaming console... If that thought makes any sense? I see the entire business changing it's direction and (I hope I'm wrong) possibly fracturing into a dozen different directions as so many things have in the past until a new niche is carved out. We already have different versions of the 360 aimed at different primary audiences (arcade vs elite), obviously Sony and Nintendo are around, and with rumors of Apple gearing up for some kind of gaming platform within the next decade... the industry as a whole could be in for an identity crisis... :( 

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

It'll probably be the last for me. I hardly buy or play games much anymore. By the time all three system evolve into the next platforms, they'll be so many for each platform that I could spend years getting them.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    With so many members of my family being on Xbox Live, I look forward to the next iteration of the console.

I actually talk to family more because I play games now.

13. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

I'm only just now planning to get myself a PS3. And I doubt I'll readily part with any of mine unless I have to or the console just doesn't do it for me.

14. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

well in that case, no it won't be my last. i actually like the direction the wii has been tracking with shorter games, because with 2 kids i just don't have the time to slog through 40-50 hours of gameplay anymore. maybe on the ds where i have toilet time, but on a tv console, it's just not possible.

15. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

QFT that's how i am, i've always been a nintendo fanboy so i have never purchased a playstation. don't ever plan on getting any system other ten Nintendo. before i got married i was one of those guys who got games/systems, the day they came out, and played them till i beat them. now w/2 littel girls, i can't play long games, in fiact i got my wii a year after it's debut and just finished Super Mario Galexy a couple weeks ago. part of the reason it takes so long is, between work, school and girls i dont' have alot of time, but also every time i turn the system on my girls wanna play, so making progress is verry slow if at all.

no it won't be my last system, as a gamer i have changed by not buying soo many games, i only buy a select few that i really want and play those.

16. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    ?? its true though I have more than 1 reason for hating Sony other than despising my psp but I wont go into that here. although I wouldnt mind having a PS3 for Motorstorm and Resistance

17. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly given the economic down turn I think this gen will be extended for at least another 3 or 4 years so while this wont be the last gen for me I dont think people will be trading in their PS3's for PS4's for some time and given Sony's press release saying 2010 is going to be their year I think that's their view as well (or was that 2011, 2012.. .they seem to change it every year)

As for not getting any new consoles for some time frankly I'm fine with that. Hard Ware both PC and Console has gotten to the point that you can do just about anything graphically and what I'm looking for now is cool content and game play. Also if they did double the power any game that could fully utilise them would have astronomical development costs.

18. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Just like every other generation of console, I'm sure I'll end up at least one new system. I loves me some vidya, and I doubt getting older and work and stuff will change that. It's been a life long hobby for me, and if anything I'm more into gaming now then I've ever been.

19. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

this, especially the fat part.

20. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i love videogames!