Is this the fastest a toy has increased in value?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nerdling, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    I bought MP-04 in April from BBTS for $160 MISB before shipping and right now the cheapest you can find him like that is about $250. Is that normal for a big toy released to the public? Same for 6 Titanium G1 UM. He was $15.99 and now goes for nothing less than $40.

The botcon games of deception box probably jumped 500% once it left Hasbro's hands, so I'm guessing that one takes the cake.

2. vnutz

vnutz Banned

Ebay:
    the initial craze sometimes out lasts the long time value of the toy. the botcon jet set and mp pieces are all pretty hot right now.

3. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

The movie has driven up the demand for the toys.

4. Nerdling

Ebay:
    I'm sure that's part of it, but outside of MP-05 and the Hasbro Screamer, I dont think Takara/Hasbro have plans to release this toy again for what would be his 6th incarnation, and his 2nd with a trailer. I think that and the trailer might have more to do with it than anything.

5. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I think e-hobby Astrotrain might be a contender in this too. Didn't he go through a crazy spike?

6. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Totally. Can you imagine the price of MP-04 at this time next year? It'll be like $1000 if not more. Who needs the stock market right? Just invest in Transformers.

7. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    That Masterpiece Prime with trailer will get another realease...and another...and another...and another. the thing sells. Why wouldn't they want to make money??

8. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    They'll make another production run. They're already cranking out more MP-5's to be re-released. So what makes you think they won't produce more of MP-4? That's if they haven't started already.

9. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

And you'll be broke and homeless before you know it... ;) 

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I see Classics megatron since it was an earlier figure,It's rarer than ever and people are getting crazy on buying them aswell as Classics Ramjet and Grimlock,I haven't seen Grimlock in a long while.Buy them not to early not to late,idiots....

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Actually, a lot of time prices spike quickly and then cool off over time. It's not really at all unusual to see something like this. I suppose what happens is that once a figure starts getting harder to find, all the people who were being slow to buy it freak out and think they won't be able to find one later, so they all overpay for the limited supply that is left. But if you wait a couple of years, usually the prices will cool down a bit. There are always exceptions of course, but Transformers would be a terrible investment strategy. You'd lose more than you'd gain, because most figures don't go through the roof like that, and it's hard to gauge which ones will do it.

12. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Exclusives and imports aside, I find it rather irritating that the fandom as whole tends to support scalpers and encourage these inflated prices on things. We're seeing this with recently mass-released items as well. I don't think anything mass-released in the past year or so ought to command such ridiculous prices. A bud of mine sold a loose EVAC for over $60, and you can't get a Cybertron Galvatron now for less then $100. It almost compels one to become a completist because if you pass now, you won't be able to afford it later.

13. Nerdling

Ebay:
    Well, let's not get crazy :)  I'm sure his price will plateau like most TFs. A loose G1 Devy in good condition usually goes for about $150 or so on ebay, and a G1 Shockwave in good condition has a maximum of maybe $125.

The reason I dont see MP-04 get a rerelease anytime soon is because of how slow he was to leave the shelves. I dont think the demand that there is for him now was expected, and Takara doesnt seem smart enough to capitalize on him now when he's hot.

14. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    When Takara recognizes the secondary value of MP04 (eBay), they will have a second run. These spikes happen all the time. (MP05, THBS02, TFC06)

I'm surprised they haven't caught onto MP02, TFC00, Kiss Players Rodimus yet.

15. Nerdling

Ebay:
    And there's been nothing from their camp about those coming out again. If I recall correctly, I dont think any of those sold well on their initial run.

It's a total crapshoot sometimes.

16. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I don't think it's scalpers at all. What scalper buys an EVAC, opens it, sits on it for two years, and THEN sells it? Scalpers generally buy early and unload quickly. Personally, I find it rather irritating that so many people are so quick to decry "scalpers" just because they don't like aftermarket prices. More often than not it's not scalping at all, it's the simple economics of the demand being greater than the supply. Things don't generally have exorbitant starting asking prices, people just bid them up because more than one of them wants to buy it. And once there's a precedent of a few selling at a certain price, well, that's the price the market will bear. Yes, fans are driving the prices up, but that's just the way it works. If 5 people want something and there's only 1 to be had, the price WILL go up, it's unavoidable.

Not picking on you specifically, but I see this opinion tossed around a lot.

17. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree. If I had a toy that I was kinda meh about, or could even part with easily, and I saw it on ebay for hundreds of dollars, I might consider selling it if someone else wants it that bad. I never got an MP-04 (I have an MP-01), but if I had a second one that I wanted to keep MISB, but saw the prices on ebay right now, I might have considered selling it seeing how there is some people out there that want it more than I do (I would have never bought one for over $300).

It's the simple fact that this movie has reminded thousands upon thousands of people of their fond memories of how cool the Transformers were. People have started googling them to see what they have missed, and people are getting their first look at a toy they never dreamed of or even knew existed before: Masterpiece Optimus Prime. And now they have to have it. And because there are more people like this than there are MP-04s, the price skyrockets.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  18. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

The reason I dont see MP-04 get a rerelease anytime soon is because of how slow he was to leave the shelves. I dont think the demand that there is for him now was expected, and Takara doesnt seem smart enough to capitalize on him now when he's hot.[/QUOTE]

I think it's a crap shoot on whether they re-issue him or not. I would also question why Hasbro doesn't seem bright enough to give us a version with the trailer. One could say however, that MP-04 would move much faster now thanks to the movie. And it hasn't stopped Takara from re-releasing G1 Prime a thousand times. I want one but I refuse to give in an reward the scalping scum on Ebay. (and chocolate-city.com has decided to join the scalpers and is now currently seliing MP-04 for $270.00, $20.00 more than what it was a few days ago, SCREW THEM!)
    I'm not sure if the sudden interest in him is from newer fans of the movie or if it's just a bunch of old fans buying him now because they assume everyone will now want him. It's a pain in the ass to even get the 20th anniversary version right now for under $100. The only one anyone can get for a decent price now is DVD Prime, which sucks because of the crummy looking play-school like paintjob.

19. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I think the term "scalping" only happens when collectors deem something valuable. I could be sitting on 25 Vector Primes and 3 Galvatrons ... yet only be called a scalper because of the Galvatrons.

No, I'm not a scalper, I'm a dumb ass for having 25 VP's and a damn good forecaster because of the Galvatron. The idea of value and worth play into collecting for some, including myself.

(no I don't have 25 VP's) :p 

Everyone ... everyone had a fair shot to get Galvatron in the stores. They weren't hard to find with all major retailers (TRU, Wal-Mart, and Target) stocking these regularly for half a year. Everyone had a fair shot at Evac too. Not only was he released at all typical outlets, he was offered again though Target's Easter display.

"Scalping" is a misused term when collectors are burned on a figure they could have purchased, but passed on.

When "ridiculous" happens, it's not the fault of the buyers, it's Hasbro's. They consistently blow demand numbers. They consistently yank figures before their peak.

20. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I see your point, it just frustrates me that these things are skyrocketing so quickly when they are not at all rare. Stuff from 10+ years ago, fine. Things that were mass-released in the last 24 months? Not so much.