Is this something to beware?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hippie Trooper, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    Please LMK if this is not the right place for this. Thanks!

I found this auction on Ebay:

Transformers Beast Wars Megatron D-001 MISB - eBay (item 200482342533 end time Jun-18-10 08:05:55 PDT)

The bid price is nice, but the guy wants $50 for S&H so I asked if I could pick it up in person. I work two towns over and can accomodate any date & time that works for him. He refuses to let me pick up in person due to (according to him) moving reasons even though I told him I can accomodate his schedule. Now, not only will he not respond to my messages, he deleted my question from the Q&A section of his auction.

So I ask you, the experts. Is this the kind of thing to stay away from? Seems to me like he just wants to get at least $50 for the auction Too bad because I really wanted to bid on this, Im just not liking the way this guy does business. I just dont get why he doesnt list it for what he wants to begin with.

Later

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Probably should be in the eBay forum, but HELL YES stay away from this guy!!! To charge that much for shipping in the first place is retarded but factor in his subsequent bahaviour and you have alarm bells just ringing all over the place.

Just let it go man and think nothing more on it would be my advice.

3. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

Since Ebay charges sellers based upon the final selling price (shipping not included), this is his way of basically setting a reserve price on the auction without having to pay for it. He isn't going to let you pick it up because even if it does get bid on, it won't go for more than maybe $5.

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Yeah just a shitty way to make more money.

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Three months ago there was a guy who lives in the same town I live in had a ROTF Devastator on EBay.

I contacted him that I'm interested in the item and he responded back to me that he will remove the item from EBay and sell it to me personally.

He did'nt charged me the shipping cost. He only asked that I pay him in cash and that was no problem.

6. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    He'll yes that listing is an issue. I reported it for excessive shipping.

It's funny that he shot you down about picking it up since, as his listing says, "the client is always right."

7. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

I was gonna say. Isnt the bay trying to crack down on those type of auctions..... Its just the seller trying to make his money without paying the fees of ebay.

Id say contact the seller again and see if you can come to an agreement for a price on a local pickup. I mean hes saving on FV and shipping charges.. Youd think hed be willing to sell to a local pick up......

Maybe that might work a little more. A quick sale at least to me seems better then it sitting on the bay......

8. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

This is against ebay rules. Stay away from sellers like that.

I once found an item from someone in the same city that wouldn't allow local pickup but wanted a pretty high shipping cost (probably appropriate for the items, but still high given that we live in the same city). I didn't bid.

9. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

He's doing this on all his auctions... $89 to ship one Alternator?

10. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    While it's certainly shady (and against ebay rules because it cuts into their money-flow, ohnoz) to pull these kinds of inflated shipping shell games, I'm MORE shocked that you thought a seller would be totally okay with you essentially saying "is it okay if I give you $1 for this instead of $50?"

11. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    LMAO! I gotta laugh sometimes at sellers let like this, thinking people are really this stupid. "Oh yeah, I'll sell this to you for $5.00, shipping will be $150.00."
    Give me a break, they should just put up a sign in the auction, "DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH ME!!"

12. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    I've tried several times to contact him since and he simply doesnt respond.

Not true at all. My question was if I won the auction would he allow local pickup, not "let me have that for $1" as you put it. Please dont put words in my mouth, I resent that.
    My issue with this from the beginning has been the price of shipping. I happen to know for a fact it wont cost him that much to ship two towns over. On top of that, I win stuff on ebay from local sellers and do local pickup all the time, and it's never been an issue with any of those sellers. This guy has an agenda, simply put, hes doing something wrong.

Later

13. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

Id say stay away.
    If he doesnt wanna sell to a local for that price he can feed ebay.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's just part of the ebay game. If I really wanted it and it was worth $50 to me, I'd do it. When it comes down to it, ebay is the only one getting screwed - and that really doesn't bother me.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What he's doing isn't any more shady or against ebay policy then a buyer contacting you and asking for a discount if they buy without going through ebay. It's part of the avoid-ebay-fees game. He's probably thinking that if you didn't understand that then he probably doesn't want to be doing business with you. . .ROFL.

16. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Taking another look at that auction, I do have to agree with these points. Now if it was something like that was $50.00 and you had to pay, $150.00 for shipping. Automatic alarms.

17. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    Well, I've NEVER asked anyone for a discount, and I ALWAYS ask if local pickup is allowed BEFORE I bid. The actual bidding price is not important to my argument. My issue is that I am two towns over, and happen to know for a fact that shipping isnt going to cost him that much, and also that I do local pickup all the time and it's never an issue. I pay what the auction ends for, period.
    Yeah, ebay fees can suck, but that's something you agree to when you sign up to sell there. I've sold a few things on ebay myself and have always charged correct shipping.
    Ebay used to be a place where you could find good deals and I just find it sad that that's not always true anymore.
    Later

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think you're missing the point - if you offered him $50 for it, he'd probably let you pick it up.

He's not trying to screw anyone with shipping, that's how he's making money off of the auction. Is it skirting the rules? Sure, but it's nothing new, a ton of people do that. I've bought from a few of them and have never had an issue.

It's not like it's a hidden fee or some BS like that. You can find all kinds of good deals on ebay that have the bulk of the selling price in the S&H - you just need to be aware of it and take it into account.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  19. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    MMM got it. It's all about the big picture. It says that $50 is for "shipping" but we all know that's "profit". It's just a skewed itemization of the bill for maximum profit.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Stay far away.