is this really a reissue ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by starscream.pt, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    As someone dabbling in manufacturing, I've discovered that having a mold made by the factories in China is chump change compared to what it would cost in the U.S. If Hasbro wanted to do a new mold, they could. Especially since the design is already there. No new engineering. Now that I got my check from the IRS, I will start production soon. Based on what it will cost me, the tooling for something like Wheeljack would only run maybe $10,000. That's a guess based on the size and parts count difference. So the idea they won't because reverse engineering is hard or more expensive than an original mold is absurd. The only difference is the time to pay someone to disassemble a vintage one and take measurements, which would be cheaper than the original engineering costs of a newly designed toy.

As for molds not being moved... keep in mind that Hasbro does not "own" the factories in China. They are contract workers. Hasbro hires them to make the molds, and then make the toys. Hasbro may own the molds, but they were in the Chinese factories. These factories are only gonna hold on to them for as long as Hasbro pays them to. At some point, Hasbro decided that since they didn't think they would need them anymore, they just stopped paying storage. Either that, or a factory would be sold and the old owners were unreachable and the molds are unable to be located for that reason. Everyone who knew what factory they were in were not able to be reached for the information since they no longer owned that particular building. Some people speculate that the KOs are made by people who either own those factories now, or work in them, and found the tooling in the warehouse. Hasbro considers them "lost" because they lost contact with the people storing them for them due to the factory selling.

2. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

for a second there,it sounded like the KO wheeljack master mold was now lost.

3. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I've seen the pics & heard reviews of this high quality KO Wheeljack toys. the majority of the reports say it's not that great & the paint colors don't match/blend in that great on the over-all toy.

I've had & sold off all 5 high quality KO dinobots. apparently the KO company is too cheap to apply enough paint layers on the diecast metal parts. all 5 of my dinobots looked like a white wash of colors/light coat of paint applied on the decast metal parts.

4. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

My Wheeljack is pretty nice. The stickers are crap though.

I 100% agree about the Dinobots! Nice word!...... Whitewash. I always used the word "Milky" for the light gray color.

Your word reminds me of a poem--

Birdy Birdy in the sky
    You dropped whitewash in my eye
    I'm not mad, I'm not sad
    I'm just glad Elephants don't fly!! :D 

5. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Awesome! Reminds me of a RedBull commercial! :D 

6. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Thank you for the correction, I'll let myself off though as I'd been working for twelve hours and was rather tired.

I must be missing your point as I don't see the relevance of Hasbro's size as a rebuttal to my post.

(The pedant in me must point out that there are three grammar mistakes in your post, I won't shout about them though.)

7. LifePincher

Yep, all these over calculations stress the brain sometimes.

As for the relevance to the Hasbro size comment....... I meant that they are powerful, and would handle the KO companies if they deemed them intrusive or hurting their own sales. China or not, heads would roll somehow :eek: 

Then again, I just think Hasbro is getting paid under the table (so to speak) for some of these KO's that are being made. The HQ ones for example. G1 boxes/very nice quality KO's.

8. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Actually, the pedant in me points out ninety's original post was correct, as it uses the subjunctive form of the verb.

I admit now I've not read the entire thread but where's your evidence for this? Or is it pure conjecture?

9. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    1, 2, 7? Iz count nut so gud.

My point still stands, larger companies than Hasbro have tried and failed to enforce IP rights in China. Google any Chinese car maker and you'll see a variety of clones of US and European cars. The only one that comes to mind that's been successful in getting a Chinese design changed is Roll-Royce. There may be others, but they're in the minority.

You're entitled to your conspiracy theory opinion regarding backdoor deals, I disagree, but a discussion forum would be tedious otherwise.

EDIT: Cheers Locustreign, a little voice was saying past/future tense, but I'm tired again and didn't fancy a quick Google English refresher!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Purely ENTERTAINING conjecture! It's like the X-Files without all the glum tedium disguised as sexual tension! :D 

11. LifePincher

So it's (your-up) speak?
    I are good, how are you?

Let's make it........ I is good or I be good or I were good......... Just as bad. That doesn't fly here in the states.

Sony are a good company (not)
    Microsoft were going to release Halo Reach last week.

For the other question, Yes.

12. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    lolwut?

13. LifePincher

Get with the program.

Book-IT!
    Reading is fundamental.

I'm just having fun here :D 

14. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're going on about - get with what program? All I've seen over the last few pages are some nonsenical rants about KO manufacturers paying Hasbro, without any logic to it, or evidence to back it up.

15. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Correct, 'I be good' is wrong, 'I be going' is correct though. Only using bad examples does not disprove something.

EDIT: Actually, I'm wrong there, 'I be good' is correct, it's archaic, but no less correct for that.

(Also, States)

Back on topic: I never answered the OP. Many dodgy sellers will claim a KO is a reissue, remake etc. If you're not sure if the toy in question has been reissued, check the TFW Resources for confirmation of the official versions of a given toy. For KO boxed toys, Might Gaine's site is invaluable: HIGHENDTFS.COM | "Seperating the Crème from the Crap"

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  16. LifePincher

Calm down Pilgrim. You're not involved :rolleyes2 

It's all fun with words.

17. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    I'm still waiting for this evidence that Hasbro are in cahoots with KO manufacturers, how long will I have to wait for it?

18. LifePincher

Well, I be going out later to get some Pizza.
    Let's get off this rant, as it's getting old!

Back on topic........... Bottom line is, the HQ reissues are kick ass.

19. LifePincher

Here we go.....

Dammit JIM! Did you not get your Book-It coupon for your Pan Pizza for reading Green Eggs and Ham?

20. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Uhh... You're the one that came out and started claiming theres a conspiracy going on, then became a grammar nazi when things didnt go your way.