Is this reall an original G1 Smokescreen?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tela_Tran2, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Tela_Tran2

Tela_Tran2 AUTOBOT MAIN FRAME

I just recently bought this from Wheeljackslab advertised as a original G1 Smokescreen. I know the tag is right but the colors do not quite match and the missiles actually fire out of the launchers. From everything that I know this means that it is a fake or a reissue. It's hard to see the color difference in the pictures.

Also the front of the car seems to be in much better condition than the back of the car.

Attached Files:

2. Tela_Tran2

Check this out

I also recieved this as a bonus (I think) with a more recient order.
    all I can say is ?????????

Attached Files:

3. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Look under a shoulder sticker. if its a rivet it's a re-issue, if it's a screw its an original.

4. Tela_Tran2

It must be a rivit, cause it is covered by a sticker.

5. shockwave_store

shockwave_store DECEPTICON BADASS

nice catch, now go after his ass

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Actually, there's an even better way to tell if it's a re-issue or not without damaging the stickers. If you take a close look under one of Smokescreen's feet, there's a timestamp there. If it says a year anywhere in the 1980's it's the real deal, anything else is a re-issue. The enlarged "Hasbro" on that timestamp, which is visible in the underside picture of the toy, also is a sign that it's a real 1980 G1. I know this because I own a G1 Prowl re-issue w/ a timestamp of 2003 on it that lacks the enlarged "Hasbro" while my 1987 G1 Sixshot does have the enlarged logo on his inner wing base. My verdict: that is a real G1 Smokescreen, or at least the feet are.

As for the "bonus" thing, maybe it's a decoy?
    Decoy - Transformers Wiki

7. Tela_Tran2

The 1980, 1984 is there, but I read rumors that the tags could be switched out, that is what my concern was.

The decoys, to the best of my knowledge, are all purple or all red and smaller, my point was that this is a chewed up piece of crap.:thumbdown 

8. Tela_Tran2

Missiles not suppose to fire?

Are I not correct that the missiles are NOT suppose to actually shoot out of the launchers.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Hmmm, the switched out time stamp does make sense going with what you said about the front looking newer than the back. It is possible that the legs were stuck on a 2002/2003 Smokescreen re-issue and then sold as an authentic G1, when in truth the whole figure is a sort of frankenstien-ish creation now. But there's two last questions that are the deal breakers: is the gun or missiles chromed, and is there yellowing on the back but not the front? If the first is no to anything mentioned or the second is yes, then it's mostly a re-issue.

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

It's hard to tell with pictures. About the shoulder joint...How can you TELL it's not a screw if you didn't take off the sticker? Not saying you WANT to but it's a sure fire way to tell. You wouldn't be able to tell by touching it since the screw is recessed.

As for thr missles firing, the originals did fire, as did the Takara reissues. The only one's that did not were the hasbro reissues, which were not chromed. I have vinatage, takara and hasbro reissue versions of smokescreen.

Not to defend wheeljackslab, because he is a big jerk, however he is pretty good and selling vintage only and has been selling Transformers for over 10 years. I am sure he's pretty good at telling them apart. At one time I was a big customer of his, however he shows NOTHING for long time customers.

As for the bonus...It could be an eraser or pencil topper. It's NOT a decoy, they were only set in orange and purple colors.

11. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Hasbro reissue launchers don't fire as the springs were not installed. Takara reissue launchers do launch.

12. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

Just lift one of the stickers to tell. As mentioned the screw is recessed so you can only tell by lifting the sticker.

The front half could have been replaced if it is in better shape and that screw is the only way to tell if the front half is from a reissue.

The stamp looks authentic and you can't just go by the dates - '80' to '84'. The big identifier is "JAPAN". If it has JAPAN stamped on it then it is most likely an original (or that part is at least).

I got a tracks reissue that had all the correct dates '80' and '84', HASBRO and TAKARA stamps and made no mention of "made in China". You could kind of tell if they were reissues because they all said "made in China" but now you can't even use that. It's getting harder and harder to tell.

13. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In terms of the missiles, those either came from a vintage Smokescreen or a Japanese reissue because they launched. They have the button to launch the missiles. As for the actual figure, I have both a vintage and a Hasbro reissue (I think). The vintage has the same timestamp as yours. My reissue says Hasbro 2002 on one foot and Takara Made in China 2002 on the other. In order to tell if it is really vintage or a reissue, I would go with what everyone suggested....be careful of doing this....lift up one of the shoulder stickers and see if it is a screw or not. Another thing to look at is the front bumper. On my vintage, the bumper is more white than blue. Whereas, the reissue is more blue than white. The vintage on the left and the reissue is on the right.

[​IMG]

14. Tela_Tran2

It must me a FrankinScreen, the front is more blue than white and it has a pin and not a screw under the shoulder sticker.

I say again FrankinScreen

15. shockwave_store

that smokescreen is a half real, and half reissue, thats the bottom line, cause "Stone Cold Said So".

16. Tela_Tran2

Final Answer

If Shockwaves_store says it's half real and half reissue then that is what it is. He knows everything, so he has to be right.

17. shockwave_store

you got that right "Brother"

18. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

That's crazy, why would someone do that?

19. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

People mix and match parts all the time. It's kinda like receiving a TF with some original stickers and some reprolabeled.

20. Tela_Tran2

By switching the tags, your making a brand new toy look as if it was 20+ years old, when only the tags are that old. It's hard to catch unless your looking for it.