Is this fair?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Babyformers, May 24, 2012.

1. Babyformers

Babyformers Active Member

So as a guy living in Australia, I've witnessed the transformers figures raising in prices. A deluxe can range from $25-$30, a voyager from $45-$50 and a leader class for $100. These prices are getting outrageous here, hell, even cyberverse commander figures are $18. Seeing as how cheap transformers are in the US and other countries, does this seem fair? Just wanted to know you guys' opinion.

2. Blairimus2563

Blairimus2563 Commander

News Credits:
    I think it's ridiculous,This time last year we were paying $18 for a Deluxe and now we're paying that same price for a commander and I thought seeing there smaller and lighter we'll get for cheaper but no.It's plain unfairness.

3. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I live in Adelaide and the Deluxes have been around $24 since I started collecting, or at least I'm pretty sure that's how it's been.

Still bullshit.

4. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    That pricing has been pretty standard in Australia for a while now. I'm not surprised by them at all. And no surprise they shelf warm for months and months until they have a massive sale and only then do they get picked up by customers for prices that they should have sold from the get go. I remember seeing Universe Inferno for 25AUD, on sale mind you, but before sales it was 40ish.

5. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    I live in Adelaide too!

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It sucks for you guys, certainly. But look at it this way- it's all imports there, even if they're carried in normal retail outlets. Compare that to prices for Japanese imports in the US and you're at least on par, if not better off. Just a different perspective to think about.

7. ThaConqueror

Cool! You wouldn't happen to be the guy with the yellow Suzuki Swift with the black stripes and Cybertronix on the back, would you?

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I don't think you can judge if it is fair or not without knowing what other factors contribute to the price tags of these toys. But especially 18 for a Cyberverse Commander sounds way too much. I'd say maximum should be 8$. And even this I would call rather expensive for such a little figure, but I would find it more justified because normal Legends class figures are about 5$.

9. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    eh no :confused: ?

10. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    Very true I remember the Buster prime/Jetfire pack that was 150AUD I donno how much it was in the US as a comparison.

11. Babyformers

Babyformers Active Member

That's true, but with the size decreasing, wouldn't it be more logical to decrease the price at least? The old deluxes that cost 20 were worth that price, at least to me, but asking for 30 or more for the ones today is just too much, we're getting less for what we paid for. The animated figs are a good example of what a figure should be quality wise. Sturdy, hard plastic and represents what it costs. Look at animated bumblebee for example and compare him to say, dotm roadbuster or prime ratchet. All i'm saying is that they're asking for more money from us for figures that are called deluxes but are the size of scouts.
    I always feel as though I'm getting ripped off, I only attend the huge toy sales, but if this carries on, I may be turned off by transformers and any other figures that suffer onwards from that.

12. ThaConqueror

Ah, okay. I just saw that on the road the other day and immediately expressed regret that the bus I was on was moving the other direction so I couldn't take a picture and decode the Cybertronix later.

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hasbro AU TFs aren't "imports" for us - I am pretty certain the shipment comes from China like your Hasbro TFs :) 
    (We do occasionally get TakTom TFs at retail, such as Jetwing OP.)

I don't say it's not fair though, sure I whinge about prices, but considering Australia has much less buying power than the US (less population with larger cities scattered sparsely in a continent) and there must be other factors, I am not expecting the situation improve anytime soon if ever.
    Actually the price of a deluxe went down a bit at retailers such as Kmart and Big W.

Also there are fans in other countries who do have to pay more than us for a mass released Hasbro TFs.

14. Drohitan

Drohitan Rogue Decepticon

DOTM Ironhide.... Guy's barely taller than Lockdown.

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not gonna lie, Canadian pricing irks me from time to time. Transformers aren't too bad but things like Lego I will never understand why something like the Avengers Quinjet is $69.99 down south and then magically becomes $89.99 up here. WTF?

16. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You guys have a slew of additional taxes and expenditures that retailers/manufacturers must pay before these items even arrive such as the VAT tax.

17. Dark Neptune

Dark Neptune Autocon

Hey you Aussies ain't alone. I live in Singapore and Deluxes are ALWAYS $27.90, Voyagers 54.90, and Leaders 109.90. It's maddening....

18. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    And I live in tax-free Oregon, the home of 13 dollar Deluxes and 9 dollar commanders which should be 8. Sing along with me: first world problems...

19. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    The U.S. doesn't necessarily have the absolute advantage anymore. Retail prices are snaking upwards, and plenty of toys that were expected to be released to retail there, just never showed up.

When bulk stores muscle Hasbro on price, it's easier for them to just ship 20K of one character, than 5K each of 4 different ones.

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

The US did not get that set, or Buster Prime at all.