Is this even legal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 46+2, Apr 11, 2011.

1. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

2. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

God! I remember The grease that used to ooze off my grilled cheese.

3. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    I would guess that it is just for the money. I highly doubt their food is "healthy".

4. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Well really how long before the "blameless" parents of hyper obese kids turn their wrath at the school system? This is a preventative step that I think is a good idea for schools to take. I wish PE was still mandatory at 100% of schools.

5. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

oh god i miss school food. the frito chili pie, the burgers! the breakfast pizza!

i see what the school is trying to do. i think its a good thing

6. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    My school never had anything like that ;-;.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This is a bigger pile of horseshit than that whole happy meal toys thing. A MUCH bigger pile.

So what do they do if a kid brings a bag lunch anyway - throw it out and force him to go hungry? I foresee many, many notes from home that say their kid has "allergies".

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  8. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Probably try and force the kid to eat the garbage served in the public school system.
    My oldest took bag lunch when he went to public but we converted to hot when he switched to a private school.

Chuck

9. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

Good or bad they should not be able to tell you what you can and cannot feed your kids.

10. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    And if the kid has no money? The kid starves. The lunches aren't free.

If I had school age kids I would fight this tooth and nail. I don't and it STILL makes me angry as hell. I honestly don't understand how anyone can say stripping the parent's right of providing their own kids with a lunch is GOOD idea.

I'm all for kids eating better, but this is fucking ASSININE.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  11. Cavshock

They just charge the parents. Aiden forgot his lunch a couple of times so the school would give him a PB&J and charge us as if he got a hot lunch.

Chuck

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The kid bringing a lunch that the school won't let him eat is a lot different than him forgetting to bring one, though.

Bills sent home for this will be met with many a middle finger. I sure wouldn't send them a single cent if they made my kid throw away his original lunch.

13. Cavshock

Mailing a picture of said middle finger would be pretty awesome.

Chuck

14. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

QFT.

There isnt a doubt in my mind that the food we provide our kids with is healthier by leaps and bouds. I just could imagine having someone tell me that they feed my child better than I could.

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    My high school did this too, but the staff pretty much only enforced it with liquids, and only if you were stupid enough to carry it around in the hallways while acting like an idiot.

I'm sure things have gotten a lot stricter since I've been there though, as they've installed metal detectors & used to have security at one point, but yeah. I can totally understand why schools would ban outside food & beverages, as the reasons to do this are pretty abundant. Not saying I agree with it at all, but through the school's eyes, it's good for health, business & security. Again, through the school's eyes, not practical ones.

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    As a parent if I was forced to pay their prices for lunch I would pull out my kids too.

also:
    What ship cood that possibly be?

The Falcon?

17. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I think as long as there was a clause stating that school's were free from litigation in cases where a child's declining health can be linked directly to a poor diet, they'd have no problem allowing food from home. In fact they would pretty much have to be freed from any kind of responsibility. I mean if you have a kid sucking down an entire pizza on his lunch break and passing out in his after lunch class, that really can't be the school's problem.

I think people are so quick to jump on the "this will only punish the poor" as opposed to what I believe the true intent of the rule is that it's going to get turned into another example of how schools are forced to succumb to the loudest screamers and the kids suffer for it.

Also bring on the Italian Dunkers and square pizza slices, I loved school lunch.

Star Destroyer.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The school has a right to set limitations if it keeps kids safe, though I would hope limitations would only be imposed in serious cases, such as a peanut ban or peanut-free zone if there were students at the school with particularly dangerous allergies to peanuts.

This case seems like it's going a bit far, though. It would be interesting if they could find a better (and more cost-effective) way to reward healthy eating in the habits of their students, though.

19. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    This is just wrong. They are just doing it for the money while they claim it's for health benefits. My schools never served healthy meals, there were no salads, there were no vegetable sides or baked chicken. It was always greasy, greasy pizza, chicken nuggets, hamburgers, tater tots, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches etc. Then as I got into middle school it went up to having things available like burritos from Taco Bell, slice of pizza and a bread stick from Little Caesar's, cans of Yoohoo or cans of Hawaiian Punch and High School had even greasier food.

If they plan to do this they better get their shit straight, no more pizza, nuggets and burgers, no more foods that are soaked in grease. They need healthy food, offering choices of things like salads or bowls of fruit, oven baked chicken, grilled chicken fingers, baked potatoes, green beans, spinach, vegetarian lasagna etc.

Something that has me concerned, what about kids who have to bring their own lunch not to save money but because they have severe food allergies or are perhaps diabetic?

20. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It says right in the article that they are still allowed to bring their own food.

Hence, a whole shitload of notes from home that say "my kid has the allergies" have probably poured in.