Is this asking too much for a g1 clear colored optimus prototype?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rdfnd1253, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

Hey I wanted to ask everyones opinion on this. I had bought the clear colored optimus prototype that was selling on ebay froma respected seller and paid a decent amount for it. well the time has come for me to part with it. I know he only had 5 to sell so I own one of 5. Is it insane to ask about $1000 for the figure? Im not trying to rip anyone off but since I doubt I'll ever see it again and only 5 exist, is it really insane to ask for an amount like that?? Opinions are appreciated!!

2. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    I wouldn't know, I didn't even know people could get prototypes

3. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I would guess that it's more than that. Lucky Draws are more abundant than that and they go for over $1000 IIRC

MushroomPrime-you can get prototypes from eBay, they go for multiple times more than retail

4. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

If its them early lunchtime specials before all the recent KOs. I think its still quite reasonable for certain collectors.

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    With the recent clear G1 Prime KO, you'll look like an idiot asking more than $40-50... Unless you can prove it's a lunchtime special.

6. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

agreed. why pay $1000+ when you can pay $50 for the KO. Some people here even consider the lunchtime specials KO's anyway.

7. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Excuse, my n00bishness, but what's the lunchtime special?

8. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

Should be a simple tasking differentiating the real lunchtime & KO version.
    Thanks to the transformers@themoon guys.

Lunchtime special

KO version

9. Rdfnd1253

I know its a real prototype as the guy who sold it only had 5 of them and sold them to real time collectors on here. I know ultraconvoy grabbed one off the same seller and he DOES not collect ko primes. Its also the original optimus prime colors but clear version. It didnt come with a trailer like the ones on ebay, and its tires are black unlike the clear tires on the ko primes on ebay.

10. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Even so, the market would have to be present. The KO Prime probably filled most (if not all) of the demand for a clear Prime.

Just list it on Ebay (with the links that prove what it is) and let potential buyers find the price. I really doubt you'll be able to get close to what you paid for it, though.

The KOs (likely) drove down the price of this just like KOs and reissues did to vintage G1 stuff.

11. Rdfnd1253

I have only seen one ko clear colored prime so far though on ebay and it had the clear colored wheels like the clear ko primes

12. Rdfnd1253

I have only seen one ko clear colored prime so far though on ebay and it had the clear colored wheels like the clear ko primes which isnt found on the version I have

13. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    What I'm trying to get across is that something is only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it. With the KO being around, it kinda kills the demand for 'em... Which kills the amount people are willing to pay for it.

To put things another way... A boxed, working, complete G1 Omega Supreme was around $200-300. A MISB brand spanking new Encore Omega Supreme can be had for $100. Which one are people going to buy? Same thing with your Prime and the KO Prime. Yes, yours is different... But probably not different enough for people to want to shell out significantly more to get it.

14. Rdfnd1253

yea I see what your saying.... I feel better now that I asked opinions before I even listed it

15. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
  16. Rdfnd1253

yes it was...but the one i have doesnt have the clear colored wheels like the colored ko has and all the clear kos has

17. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Those looking for truly rare Transformers, willing to put up around $1K for one won't likely be swayed by imitations. These are two completely different collectors you're talking about. Not all G1 collectors settle for bootlegs and not all prototype or lunchtime collectors will settle for mass-produced figures. Just because these figures look the same doesn't mean they're the same to every collector.

If you won the figure from an eBay store there's a good chance you'll get less for it. Typically eBay stores can get more for the same item on live auction, but a rare figure like this is a bit of a wildcard. Promoting it with some of eBay listing features (bold title, featured item, etc) and using solid references like those linked in this thread are essential. If I were selling this, I'd post it as a fixed price listing for the asking price (with a best offer option if willing to take one)

18. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

His auctions are customs. he had all 5 of 5 "prototypes"? prototypes for what? more customs? whats to stop him from making a custom clear red prime, and putting black tires on it? i put proper tires and stickers on my KO red mirage, and if i wanted to, it would now be extreamly extreamly hard to tell apart from an original.

as far as i know, the clear "lunchtime" specials were test shots for a japanese robot points mailaway that was scrapped, and the few test shots they made of prime, jazz and prowl got out.

if it's a matter of clear or black tires, i doubt that would make the difference of $950 to someone.

19. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

His auctions are customs. he had all 5 of 5 "prototypes"? prototypes for what? more customs? whats to stop him from making a custom clear red prime, and putting black tires on it? i put proper tires and stickers on my KO red mirage, and if i wanted to, it would now be extreamly extreamly hard to tell apart from an original.

as far as i know, the clear "lunchtime" specials were test shots for a japanese robot points mailaway that was scrapped, and the few test shots they made of prime, jazz and prowl got out.

if it's a matter of clear or black tires, i doubt that would make the difference of $950 to someone.

20. Commtech

Commtech Voice Over Bot

News Credits:

At a local show here in the L.A. area, the KO clear primes are abundant and sell for $100. So maybe it's not on ebay right now, but there were a lot of them made for sure.