Is this an eBay scam in the works?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hot Shot., May 28, 2012.

1. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I'm selling this year's Botcon set with Straxus on eBay to cover the cost of my dad's failing transmission, and I got this message from a potential buyer tonight:

I told him no, and then he replied this:

I don't know what to say. This guy could be completely legit, but I don't feel like taking such a huge risk on such a high-dollar item.

What does everyone else think? Is this the setup to a scam, or should I take the risk?

2. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tell him to make the transaction outside of eBay.... and maybe send it as GIFT?

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    It sounds fishy. It could be on the level, and the guy has another contact in the states that sends him stuff overseas. I'd probably stay away from it, just because there's so much uncertainty and it's a high-dollar item.

But if you do decide to do it, proceed with caution. And like optics said, do it outside of eBay.

4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd block his ebay ID. If you do sell it to him, send it exactly how you have it listed so he can't say it wasn't as described. Be sure to send it to the address on his Paypal acct. Insure it and get signature comfirmation.

5. Hot Shot.

News Credits:
    The problem with this is, I'm expecting to get more than the starting bid for the set. There's only a day or so left on it, and I'd rather give someone else a shot at it rather than bending over backwards for this guy.

But then, there's that problem of needing money ASAP. The transmission could go any day now, and my dad drives pizza around for a living. Couple that with the rent coming up at the beginning of this month...gah.

6. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Who cares how he wants it after he pays for it? Just keep copies of emails in case he tries to make a claim, and make sure you insure it. Usually I find that people who make weird requests usually don't end up winning or even bidding on the auction.

I have to disagree with the comments above, DO NOT go outside ebay for this kind of transaction. You won't have much protection if you do.

7. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just tell him, $500 (or whatever) sent as GIFT (ONLY) and its his and it will be shipped to his contact's location (w/ signature). Maybe you can tell him you'd ship it directly to him if he does send as gift.

Anyways, since you only have a day left, you could just wait to see if it sells. Besides that, you'd have to wait for the buyer to pay. Also, is PayPal holding your eBay funds? If so, then thats a longer wait.

Yeah, but I always hear stories about how eBay sides with the buyers more. Thats why I say to have him send it as gift.

8. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I don't think it's a scam. I literally just dealt with someone on the boards who's overseas but needed the item shipped to an address here in the states to have it sent or brought out to him. He too, wanted no extras like a box, and in as small of a box as possible to cut down on whatever shipping method was used to get it from the states to him. He paid right away, was nice as could be, and even left feedback when it eventually got to him.

I didn't ask to in-depth why he didn't just want it shipped to him straight out, but it turned out fine, so I wouldn't mind doing a transaction like that again.

9. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

To me it sounds like this person knows someone else in the U.S.,and after you ship it to that address,that person will then send it overseas to the original buyer.

I would take every precaution though just to cover yourself.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Tell him you'll keep him in mind, but you're interested in getting rid of the box as well. International shipping is a pain in the ass, so I can sort of understand if he was only intending to display the toys anyway.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Why not just ship internationally? There must be a tracked international postage option in the US, at the end of the day the buyer pays shipping, just insist on tracking to cover yourself.

Also, on a slight tangent if your Dads transmission is going, and he's using his own car for work purposes, surely the work place should be putting toward the cost of that?

12. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't ship internationally because I have been blamed for customs delays and I have been told the item wasn't received even when tracking told me it had been. While I never had to pay, I did receive death threats and other annoyances. I had a similar situation to the OP as well. He never told me that he was actually an international customer. I sent the item to his provided US address. Tracking proved he received it. I got an email from him 6 months after it was received at his US address saying that he never received the item at his international address...and if I would be so kind as to give him a refund. He obviously got no money from me, BUT it was still a hassle.

13. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I do know people in the US and if a seller wouldn't want to ship to Canada, I would ask him to ship the items to my friend's place. I see nothing wrong there.

Actually, I recently sold a vintage mountain bike to some guy in Brazil and he had me ship his bike to his friend's place in Toronto.

Also, shipping internationally is not a hassle, it's only more expensive (well, sometimes not!).

14. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, there is but it is mondo expensive, which a lot of people do not want to pay for, especially if they have to pay import fees on the package

As for the tangent, I do not know how it works in Europe, but things like paper delivery, food delivery, etc, require you to use your own vehicle 9 out of 10 times. Flower deliveries are usually the exception to that, but if he is having to use his own vehicle, the pizza place will not pay for his new part. He should be able to claim the part/work done on it as a tax expense, but it will have to come out of his pocket first.

15. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I still see no reason why it should be a hassle to ship abroad. Of course there's destinations like Italy where there are strict customs rules and fees, but generally speaking, besides transit time and a price, which you do NOT pay yourself as a seller, it's the exact same thing.

Say you send an item within the US, tracking shows the person received it, but he says he didn't. What lick of evidence, more or less, do you have in such a case if the item traveled two states beyond your house or a continent beyond your house?

Botcon sets are expensive to send out internationally because they are huge, meaning you pay a great deal of shipping over the already inflated 400-800 USD price. If the buyer agrees to it, there's nothing to worry about.

16. Hot Shot.

News Credits:
    You'd think so, but no. This is also the same place that takes claimed tips out of your paycheck.

I've been pressuring him to look for a better job, so maybe he'll actually take that advice since this is his set he asked me to sell.

Anyway, I think I'll send the set to this guy's middleman if he wins, box and all. That way I'll be shipping it as described, and the third person can do whatever with the box before forwarding it.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.