Is this a rip off?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ElectricPrada09, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:
    Yesterday I walked into a Kmart that is in a neighboring town. I had not been there in years and the place is falling apart. That isn't the point though. I have a question.

I walked to their toy section and surprisingly they had Leader Class Animated Ultra Magnus. Obviously I was very pumped. He didn't have a price anywhere, the box was in bad condition and he looked like he had been taken out and put back in at some point. My girlfriend goes up to the front and asked them the price and she comes back to tell me that he's still 50 dollars! Now, I haven't been collecting too long and I was wondering if this is a rip off? Like I said the box and the figure had obviously went through something and the figure itself came out in what, 2008? That's like three years of him just sitting there. Obviously no one wants him. Is his price fine or not? I figured I'd ask you guys.

Also, should I have asked if they would go lower? Anyone of you ever got a toy cheaper by explaining to the people that work at the store why it should be a lower price? I didn't know if there was a method to doing that.

2. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes it is since its about 3 years old. store is just not marking it down.

i just looked on ebay at completed auctions and average selling for in box is about 35 bucks. plus shipping it might be around 50 but at least it will be brand new.

loose ones seem to be around 20 bucks.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Depends on a few factors, so can't give a definite answer, but here are some:

Factors:

1. Authority position of the employee you are explaining to.
    2. Employee's mood for the day
    3. Your tact and choice in words and sentences
    4. How close your reasoning is to make a "business case"

4. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dont bother, a kmart in a neighboring town to me had 2 rotf jetfires in similar beat up condition. Ironically sitting in their clearance aisle at full retail price of $50. Brought it to their attention, they didnt care. So I ended up buying them anyway since their selling for over $100 on ebay now. The markdowns are corporate and not subjective to an employee.

Kmart has devolved into an aftermarket store, where stale, long out of production goods can still be foundat 125% of former retail price.

Who's prepared to find mounds of sentinel primes in beaten up boxes in 2014?

5. ElectricPrada09

News Credits:
    It's just bullshit honestly. Why not mark down something and get a little cash as supposed to letting a product shelf warm for years on end? And who the hell even goes to Kmart these days anyway? They should be glad I even walked in haha. My girlfriend bought a purse there when we went and even the cashier admitted on how the place sucked.

6. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Its only a rip off if you buy it.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

K-Mart is generally pretty bad at moving toys. Their sales are almost not worth the time of day considering they're still around the same prices as competing retailers like Walmart and Target even after the deductions.

8. ElectricPrada09

News Credits:
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm glad I didn't cave in and get him.

9. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Heh yeah oops. No I don't work for K-Mart... My title comes from when I saw someone defaced the Gobots page on Wikipedia. xD

I can't find where I originally posted about it. but you can go back in the Gobots page revision history and find the defaced version.

10. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've picked up a bunch of stuff there recently when they ran 50% off clearance. They also had a sale on transformers a couple weeks back and i used the bk 20% off coupon (that came with their dotm toys) for some pretty good deals on ironhide leader and a few others. There are good deals to be had, just have to wait for them. The two stores near me are actually pretty nice.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Hide it and wait for a sale.

Animated Magnus is worth ithe buy. In Canada we pay that for Leaders....depending on the store.