Is this a Knock off Sludge?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lotus, Feb 6, 2010.

1. lotus

lotus Plastic-crack-addict

News Credits:
    Hey guys,
    I've been reading the board for years now, but finally registered. I just won 3 auctions for G1 Grimlock, Sludge , and Slag. I used the Counterfeit G1 guide to help me identify Grimlock and he matches up with what is on the site and is authentic G1. Now moving on with Sludge there is some discrepancy. First of all the main thing throwing me off is the box. Out of the 3 Dinobots I bought Sludge came in a weird box that doesn't match up to any of the KO site pics out there. It doesn't even say Transformers at the bottom right. Was there an early Takara only release that made it to the state? Price tag on side of box says Duckwall-Alco 10.86? Pics bellow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. patobot

patobot ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝ Scanning ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  3. lotus

News Credits:
    The box I have is not the same in the pics on the Guide. The Guide shows a pic of a KO box with a different scene on the back. The box in the guide shows the KO with the label transformers on it. Mine doesn't have the word transformers in the lower left hand corner. Mine says Ages 5: and has the colon. ....The KO says something different. Please look closely at my pic to match it up. I need to know if I have to place a claim with Ebay for this one. I appreciate any help on this one. Has anyone else seen Sludge with the same box that I have.. The Lower right hand corner says E 5973/5770 ASST with the spaces. .....The KO says F 5973/5771ASST all together like that. Could mine be a legit Takara release from batch one?

The price tag says Duckwall-Alco.....If you google that its a legit store since 1901....http://www.duckwall.com/
    Company Profile

Duckwall-ALCO Stores, Inc. is a regional retailer that specializes in offering a wide variety of products at reasonable prices to the smaller, underserved communities of America. Our specialty is delivering those products with the friendly, personal service found in the stores of yesteryear, but with the modern convenience and product selection of today's stores. In a retail market that has sacrificed quality and service for inexpensive products, Duckwall-ALCO has proven to be a winner year after year, as it continues its steady growth throughout the central United States.

All of our ALCO and Duckwall stores offer quality merchandise at great value prices. Categories include:

* Apparel: Men's, Women's, Kids'
    * Automotive
    * Candy, Snacks, Food
    * Crafts
    * Domestics
    * Electronics, Video, Audio
    * Fabrics
    * Gifts
    * Hardware
    * Health and Beauty Aids
    * Housewares
    * Jewelry
    * Lawn and Garden
    * Pet Supplies
    * Seasonal Items
    * Shoes and Hosiery
    * Sporting Goods
    * Stationery
    * Toys

As of 2009, The Duckwall-ALCO company operates 258 stores under two names, ALCO and Duckwall.

ALCO stores offer the full line of our quality merchandise to our customers, while the Duckwall variety stores offer a smaller selection. Both stores offer the same great product value and quality, as well as the same friendly hometown service. In fiscal 2007, the ALCO division alone accounted or approximately 94% of the total company sales of $475 million.

Our stores are located in 23 states across the Central U.S. We also operate 350,000 square-foot retail distribution facility in our original hometown of Abilene, Kansas. This facility services all of the company's stores throughout those 23 states, including:

CLICK ON A STATE TO VIEW A LISTING OF ALCO/DUCKWALL STORES IN YOUR STATE

Company History

Duckwall-ALCO Stores, Inc. has had a successful, reliable history of growth over its 107-year history. Based in Abilene, Kansas since 1901, we have successfully grown the company from its first single retail store in Abilene, to the popular 258 store retail chain which operates in 23 states today, while still maintaining our personal mission of providing convenient, friendly, small-town service.

With that mission in mind, we have developed an innovative market and growth strategy. Since the late 1980’s, Duckwall-ALCO has specifically targeted smaller communities with limited access to other regional or national full-line retail chains for expansion to offer these towns more convenient shopping. The strategy has been a success from day one, and we continue to enjoy serving those markets. In fact, the strategy has earned us a reputation as a progressive innovator in the retail industry.

Today, our stores achieve annual sales of $475 million, and we continue to open new stores each year, continuing our successful track record of 107 years of steady, consistent growth.

4. lotus

News Credits:
    Sorry I checked my post and noticed why you were only looking at the front of the box. My fault I didnt post the back of the box.

Please look at the back of the box and notice the scene. It is perfect nothing cut off.

5. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Is the copyright info on the back/bottom of the box shortened? If so, it is a Chinese release from the early 90's.

I have seen legit US release Dinobots with and without the "Transformers" print above the character name on the front.

6. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    KO or not $10.86 is a great price.

7. Killa-B-Killed

I dont see anything strange about the box. You just have an early release box, I think. There is a TM over the Transformers logo, and it has the early release version of the artwork on the back.

I am going to say it is a legit early release box.

There are many more knowledgable collectors here that will probably chime in.

Never been a Dinobot fan.

8. lotus

News Credits:
    Copyright says the following:
    c 1984 Habro Industries, Inc, Pawtucket, RI 02861 USA. All rights reserved. Made and printed in Japan. Manufactured by Takara Co. Ltd. Toyko Japan

That is exactly what is printed on the back of the box...

I won the auction for 113.00

9. patobot

patobot ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝ Scanning ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝

I had no clue that Sludge was released on earlier boxes. That's very interesting. The copyright reads 'Hasbro Industries' like the series 1 releases. Does anyone have a complete list of early series 2? Insecticons, Constructicons, Tracks, Skids, Shockwave, Dinobots. What else?

10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Looks just like the one my brother bought back then. At least at first glimpse.

11. Killa-B-Killed

I have never seen a complete list of the Series 2 early releases. The single carded Constructicons with the "TM" over the Transformers logo are more desirable. The Series 2 with 1st Series artwork are a little more sought after in my opinion.

There are some members here that have extensive knowledge in pretty much all things G1. You could ask Malach Ra, or Might Gaine.

There are also some other G1 box variations that are tough to find, Poster Box Astrotrain + Blitzwing come to mind.

12. lotus

News Credits:
    I appreciate all the help from everyone. I'm gonna say this one is a legit Takara Early release and will end up keeping it. I already left positive feedback for the seller so the deal is complete.

If anyone else has something to add please chime in....... Id really like to find out if someone on here has the same G1 Sludge box that I do and compare pics of the figure itself.

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Why would the box be a Takara release? It is clearly a US version. If your speaking of the toy, then that's a different matter all together.

14. lotus

News Credits:
    I guess I just thought it was an Early Takara release since the box has the artwork of the first series and the toy is stamped Takara...no Hasbro stamp. If someone else can chime in that has this box with the Sludge that only has Takara stamp like mine does in the pic.

I believe that some of the early releases had the Hasbro Industries on the box but the actual toy had the just the takara stamp without Hasbro on it. Maybe they were using old Takara molds that didnt actually have the Hasbro stamp when they started and thats why I have a G1 first release box and Takara stamped toy.