Is there something wrong with me?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Dec 20, 2011.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

More and more lately I have been told that "You are so negative", because, I have tastes that diffrent form others.

Like, I feel like such a criminal because I don't meet the standards of others, and don't like alot of aspects of the things people enjoy.

Like the Dark Knight, it has good aspects. But I really don't like that movie.... at all, and yet when I tell people. They just get ballistic, and they sum it up to "Oh you are just a negative person." When, really it has nothing to do with my negativity at all, it just doesn't pertain to my wants, needs, or interests.

Is that so bad? That I have my own likes and dislikes? That I enjoy the odd things rather then the whole picture, and take things piece by piece rather then the entire thing?

2. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

No, I don't really see how having some dislikes makes you a negative person. Besides you don't have to meet up to the ridiculous standards of others, why should you? You only have to meet up with your own reasonable standards, don't let others determine what you should or should not like. It's really your choice.

One question though, are the people who's telling you that you're "negative" your friends or just people you happen to know, like coworkers?

3. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We're all different; different tastes, ideas, appearences, personalities, it's natural for you to have a different opinion. People calling you "negative" becuase of your opinion are obviously immature about anyone else's opinion that isn't like theirs.

4. Quantum25

I agree 100% with this.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Do you feel like there's something wrong with you?

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tell me how you feel about your mother... *looks down at notes, avoids eye contact*

7. TheDemonDzko

My friends, family, random people that I meet that decide they want to have a conversation with me, and it all leads down the same path, that I am negative because I don't like certain things.

8. Quantum25

Ouch, that's extremely close minded of them. Well don't take any of it personally, you're entitled to your own opinion. Who are they to judge you for it?

9. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

You seem normal to me. If you are always down then that is negative, which I can relate because I was like that at one point though people still liked me, but they just loved to say I was negative.

Some people are like what you described so dont worry.

10. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

I echo what everyone else is saying in that it's okay to be different with your tastes and ideas about what's good, what's not. However, I ask you this:

When you're conversing with these people that say you're so negative, are you a hard critic about what they like? From what you've described, it sounds like their evaluation of you may be defensive, and that you may state more often the things you don't like versus the things you do. Wording can make is sound as though you're attacking them, and perhaps you really are citing negatives more often than positives. Just something to question.

Next time you're in a conversation that's going in that direction, monitor what you're saying and how you're saying it as an experiment and ask yourself how you would react if another person were telling you the same things about the things you like. You might surprise yourself.

I'm not suggesting it's your fault necessarily that this is happening. Maybe these are especially thin skinned folks that you speak with. I'm merely suggesting that if you want to find out why it's happening, make sure it's not something you're involuntarily doing to cause it yourself.

11. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Do you find you're often critical of things? Do you find that people want to talk about things that don't interest you or that you don't like on a regular basis? How do you react in such a situation?

Quick, tell me three things you like about winter.

12. TheDemonDzko

>_> Pumpkin Coffee, Mall Santas ,and Channukah.=D

13. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Okay, good job. We have proven you are not a total Debbie Downer, so you don't have to worry about THAT.

What about the other questions I posited?

Also, tell me three good things about something you REALLY don't like.

14. TheDemonDzko

Most conversations start off with

"Hey"

"Hai, how are you?" <--- Me

"I'm doing okay."

"Just okay!? Oh noes. Why are you not super special awesome!?"

"Meh... So did you hear about X"

"Yeah, it's nifty."

"=D yeah right? It has all these things."

">_> Don't really like some of those things, don't know why...but. Just don't like it"

"OOOOOOOH MY GOOOOOD YOUR SO NEGATIVE ALL THE TIME!!!!"

">_> Okay? Anywhore... Transformers."

Also, three things I really dislike.

Peter Jackson's directing style, Biggots, and can't really think of a third one... Uh... I guess... People that talk during a movie at the theatre?

15. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Do you find this sequence follows with pretty much any discussion you have? What kinds of things does this sequence usually relate to? Is it usually with the same small group of people? You mentioned random strangers, how often does it happen with them? Do you find people are usually discussing the same things? Have you tried taking control of the subject of discussion and gearing it towards something you're more interested in before the "negativity" sequence plays out? How did that go? Do you have discussions related to things other than "I like a thing, do you like a thing too?"? Most of the things you've mentioned are related to film, do you talk often about things unrelated to la monde cinematique?

I actually asked you to pick something you really dislike and give some good qualities it has, but I think there's really only one on that list that's actually defensible.

16. TheDemonDzko

Well, that is usually how a standard conversation with me plays out, and no I really don't talk about things I like, because I notice people seem to be very disinterested when I talk about things I am interested into. Like, the first second I talk about anything I am interested in, the conversation begins to get very slow as if the people I am talking to are trying to do something else rather then listen to what I have to do.

That is why I tend to just let the person talk about what they want to talk about, and let them explode their feelings to me. That way they are more ample to have a conversation with me, however yes. The conversations I mainly have are usually based around the "I like X, do you like X? What do you think about X?", I know it isn't really the most stimulating conversations, but I guess people like to find a relate-able subject matter, which usually also pertains to the media format, because unfortunately that is the one main subject I feel I am most comfortable discussing, just because of my love of Film, Music, Toys, and The Internet. Just, because that is where -I- find a common ground with people, that I can relate to.

As for things that I dislike, but I find good qualities in.

Well, lets use Revenge of The Fallen as an example.

This movie, is generally accepted as a terrible movie. The acting isn't that good, as is a given from the 07 film. The plot is about as thick as a breath of air. Really, the only upside this movie has, is that it had beautiful special effects, action packed scenes, and crystal clear scene quality. This being said, the blatant vulgarity of certain scenes, like Devestators scrotum, and the "domination" of the chihuahua and bulldog. Which though I found slightly funny, it felt unnecessary when the non-existant plot still has to be filled out.

So... yeah, I don't know... did that seem negative?

17. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    Your not negative, your a man of few, but often crucial words. I'm exactly the same way. There's no yes or no as to wether or not I agree with something.

Seriously, they are projecting their opinions onto you and automatically thinking that you agree with them.

In regards to the ROTF review, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

18. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Thats ok, I get told on a daily basis that Im so weird; my reply is that youre just too normal..

19. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Wow someone who actually has an opinion about something? Holy crap that's unheard of nowadays. It's what I have dubbed "The Friends Mentality." Ever since that show most people that I meet nowadays have modeled their behavior off that damn show. Absolutely pathetic. You are not alone I have been a pessimist since I was 10 apparently. I can't tell how many times I have been told to lighten up. Nope, it's not you, it's the world changing and it sucks.

20. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

Eh, you're normal. I often talk about things that annoy me in stories in all its forms, but I'm never told I'm "negative". And when I talk to people with different opinions, we both usually respect the other side.