is there even a reason for diecast any more?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kidnicky, Mar 22, 2009.

1. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about how people bemoan the loss of diecast from Transformers toys. Take one of your classics or universe figures off the shelf,say Optimus,just for the sake of it's a figure probably most people have.
    Try to picture it with metal feet. It's like you almost can't imagine it. And really,would it make the figure any better,or more desirable? I mean,obviously today's all plastic toys are a lot more durable,judging by the condition you often find G1 toys in,so all that's left is the look of the metal,which I don't really miss all that much.

So what do you people think? Would you actually like more Transformers out of the current assortments if they had the same small amounts of diecast G1 had? I don't think I'd really care one way or the other.

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Binaltech, Alternity and Masterpiece figures say hello!

I love diecast, when it's done right. I think it should be used as the inner frames that would gain a great benefit from being made of metal instead of plastic. It's much more durable. I also like the weight it gives to most toys. The Titaniums line is a perfect example of how not to use diecast. Metal limbs and plastic joints? Failsauce.

It most certainly belongs in TF's.

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    ^ QFT. The 6 inch Titaniums were abominations of mankind. WW Prime, specifically.

4. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    I don't miss it myself... and suspect that it's just there to throw fans a bone.

(i think) it was also suggested at some point that DieCast isn't much more expensive to manufacture than plastic. *IF* that's true, that would suggest to me, that Takara add Diecast, where Hasbro versions have less, in order to pad the price.

5. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    the closest 6 inch titanium that was not ass was the fallen..his guns that mount on his arms should have been die cast though...

6. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm rather partial to G1 Magnus and RID Prime myself.

I love diecast, when it's done right!! I think it adds an air of quality to a figure. I realise I'm in the minority, but I don't care :thumbs2: 

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Diecast as a material may not cost much more, but the extra weight means extra shipping expenses. As I hate toys that don't balance well and have paint chipping off, I'll stick to plastic.

8. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    all i gotta say is that G1 bruticus reissue better have die cast chest parts in it or i am going to go Shaka ZULU all over takara's asses....

9. Optimus Sledge

Just thought I'd drop this in.
    [​IMG]

10. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

The 6 inch Titaniums were obviously really poorly done. I was think more along the lines of the G1 diecast content,where it would be just the guys toes or forearms,and now you'll hear people bitch about today's toys being cheap and flimsy,even though there never was really that much metal in TFs.

11. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

No, there really isn't a reason for die-cast anymore. Plastic is lighter, less top heavy, and you don't have to worry about them chipping their paint because you looked at it funny.

It's great for nostalgia buffs and those old skool fans who just have to have it, but it's not a necessity.

Classics/Universe is proof of this.
    And so is Masterpieces Megatron and Starscream.

Though...die-cast for the skeletal frame (as used in Megatron and Starscream) isn't a bad idea.

12. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I think die-cast metal is great for the collector-based lines, like Masterpiece and Alt./Binaltech.

But for the main lines? Leave it out. Save me a few dollars.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I think that in the collector based lines diecast is really nice. When it's done the way MP Megatron and Starscream are done (using diecast in the skeletal frame) and the way that it's done on Alternity Convoy (again... various places on the skeletal frame...) is very nice.

But the BT line wasn't so nice with how they did the diecast (I had a few chips in the figures because of the deicast) and the Titanium line was just one of the worst lines as far as their diecast use is concerned.

14. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd rather have sturdy plastic.

15. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:

I would like to bring up some examples where diecast is nice. CM's corp makes the Brave Gokin lines. Same with Bandai's Soul Of Chogokin. Great use of diecast. Im not that big of a collector so I dont know about the paint chipping issues in those two lines, but the ones that i do have do not chip paint. However those toys are easily $100+ range wheras TFs are not so much in that range. Granted Masterpiece are close to that range and I have heard a few gripes about QC but overall when a toy is $100+ or $200+ It better have some diecast or be pretty darn big, like Fort/Brave Max.

16. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well, I don't think you can really compare the SoC line to Transformers. It's kind of apples and oranges. SoC are really well engineered and rather expensive... I've owned a few and they're worth every penny. However, they are less like toys and more like highly articulated and sometimes transformable models. MP's are kind of like this, but they're not quit there you know?

In the Binaltech line it seemed like every other BT I had came with some kind of paint chipping issue or developed some where the diecast had been painted over. And while the painted metal looked really good on display the issues that arose from this were enough to put me off BT and only collect Alternators from that point on.

As far as the Titaniums go... they were just poorly engineered in most cases. It's never a good thing when you put metal arms and legs on plastic ball joints. That's bound to have some bad results...

17. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    haha...plastic will forever pollute and clog dumps....metal will rust and go away....

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    uh...

metal doesnt go away when it rusts.

metal pollutes the earth and water when it's just left laying around.

IDEALLY, both are recycled.

what point are you trying to make, exactly?

19. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

personally, I prefer metal in my toys. Originally it seemed that the MP line was aimed at the same audience as SOC, and CM's corp.

20. Optimus Sledge

There'll be more metal polluting the place, 'cos you'll have thrown away your chipped and broken diecast long before I have to worry about my plastic. :tongue: