Is there anything keeping them from doing a Classics 2.0 Hound?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by butz, Mar 10, 2008.

1. butz

butz slippery when wet

So, I keep looking over my Classics Autobots, and then the pics of the upcoming first wave of 2.0, and keeping Sideswipe in mind, and I'm noticing theres a whole lot of red, white, shades of yellow. I'm thinking a good character to add some color to the team (not to mention a classic Autobot character in his own right) would be Hound.
    He fits the criteria of having a real world vehicular alt mode, and not being in animated (least not that I know of). Like they're doing with Prowl, they could give him his shoulder cannon to sweeten the deal even further. Plus, not only would a green jeep (or at least jeep-like vehicle) help the Autobots add some much needed color to their palette, he'd have a vehicle type we currently haven't seen in Classics (and even if they wanted to do an Ironhide figure down the line, it'd likely still be different enough to still feel unique).
    Keeping in mind that with 2.0 they seem to be doing figures that have repaint/redeco potential, Hound might not seem like such a great choice, but there is the potential for a Swindle redeco here. Not only have they made a Swindle figure from a Hound mold before (Alternators) but both characters have jeep alt-modes, both have relatively block-shaped heads (which means either head design should be able to work within the transformation), and if they were feeling frisky enough Hasbro could even find a way to transform the chest differently (like with Sunstreaker) to allow them to have a their own distinct look. Unlike an Autobot repaint, this would give the Classics Decepticons some much needed gound support. It also would be a good choice with Onslaught coming out; we already have the Combaticon leader- how bout some fellow team mates to hang out with? And, like with Hound and the Autobots, Swindle would give the Decepticon ranks some greater color variety too.

2. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Good points! I would love a Classics Hound. I think there's a chance; I would imagine that they have at least discussed the idea at Hasbro at some point. After all, he had an Alternator, he's about to have a Robot Heroes version, and there have been at least two or three homages to him over the course of the AEC series. So Hasbro remembers him.

But yeah, a dark green Classics Autobot with a jeep alt mode would bring some nice variety to the lineup. And Swindle would work fine as a repaint (better than it did in the Alternators line, really, since this time around it could actually be a military Jeep instead of a consumer model).

Here's to hoping! :) 

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Not that I know of, but they would either give him a different name (like they did Tankor/Octane), or just call him Autobot Hound. The Robot Hereo version that we're getting has that as it's name. I think this is one of the "the name is too generic, so we'll put Autobot/Decepticon in front of it" situations, and not a trademark issue. I wouldn't mind seeing a Classics Hound. Would be interesting to see him have a Humvee-ish alt-mode instead of a Jeep. It has more bulk to it, and would probably be easier to get a Deluxe sized hound out of it. It would also have some more repaint/remold potential that way.

4. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I too would love a Hound version in Classics 2.0. He's one of my favorites in G1 and it doesn't seem to be a lot of love for Him in the reissue area.

5. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Great Idea and great points made. Hound is a Classic and should be made into the Classics line next wave.

6. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd also love a classics Hound!

Brawn and Trailbreaker too.

I'd love to see most of the crew of the ark... preferably.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Hound has ALWAYS been at the top of my Classics wish list, so double-thumbs for making an entire thread dedicated to the subject. He was always one of my favorite characters *because* he was a Jeep, he was one of the first G1 figures I got as a kid, it was his Altrenator design that made me stand up and pay attention to that line, and I'm still doing backflips that we get a Robot Heroes version of him right away. So needless to say, yeah, I want Hound too. :) 

I also have to agree that having more Autobot Classics that aren't red, white, blue & yellow would be nice. It's just too much, similarly to how the Cons are sometimes overpowered by too much purple & white. This is also why I want a Classics Trailbreaker - it would be cool to have an authentically black character that isn't some sort of "Nemesis" retardation.

PS: I still think Brawn needs some serously long overdue love from Hasbro as well - and Universe would be perfect for it. Just had to say it.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i gotta agree, needs more non-cars mold.

trailbreaker! ironhide!

9. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I doubt they are going to release Hound in Universe, since his color scheme is too similar to Bulkhead's, which may confuse the parents and, thus, annoy the kids...

EDIT: if they do, I'd love to see a Swindle re-tool. I think it'd be pretty easy, actually:

For Hound, the front part of the car should remain the same way as before, with a way to store the windshield inside the hood.

For Swindle, the front grille would be detached and positioned to serve as waist armor, the front part of the vehicle would fold down, and the windshield would be placed on top of the hood. With a different paintjob, different head, and a slightly different weapon, it'd work like a charm.

10. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hound was my first Transformer so I'd always like to see other versions of him although his Alt version is pretty close to being perfect. I would prefer to see some of the guys who have been ignored so far - trailbreaker and some more of the minibots.

11. lookinglasself

lookinglasself 1.21 Jigowatts

Hound and Swindle would be good.

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Hey, if they can have Sunstreaker and Bumblebee out at the same time, why not Hound and Bulkhead? I'd say two yellow deluxe cars would be more confusing than a green deluxe jeep and a green voyager armored transport.

I'd be all for a Classics Hound. He's a fun character who's really in need of an update.

13. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I personally would love to see a Classics Hound! I always liked the character and think a cool update is in order. I really hope they get to do one for Universe.

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    and wheelie. you know you want him....jk

i'd love to have a hound, and a repaint as swindle would be WICKED...i'm totally down for that...hopefully we find out what wave 2 and 3 will have, as well as who is possible for 4 and 5 at botcon next month...

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I've wanted Hound as well....not in my top five....but definitely wantz.

16. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Well, we have something with the name "Onslaught", but that's about it.

Knowing Hasbro Hound won't even be a car or Jeep. Just look what happened to poor Blaster! Hound is gonna be a space shuttle or a train.