is there a way to convert old word processor files on a pc?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Nov 22, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so I went to college in the mid 90's, and wrote every single one of my papers on a panasonic stand-alone word processor. I still have it, and the floppy disc I wrote them on, but I'd really like to get those papers into a digital form on my pc. are there any programs out there that would allow me to do that, short of printing them out on it's printer and scanning them in pdf form? I did a quick google search, but didn't find anything. thanks!

2. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Scanning it in seems like your best bet.

3. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I have absolutely zero experience with word processors, but if they're just on a floppy can you at least see the file on the disk? What format is it, identified by the extension? If you right-click on it and open with a text editor like wordpad or notepad does it look like your text or is it incomprehensible stuff?

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

well, unfortunately, I don't have the disk with me currently--it's at my mom's house. I vaguely recall trying to open it in an older computer and it not really recognizing the disk, since it wasn't pc formatted. I'm afraid I'm not gonna be successful with this. any other ideas?

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If it isn't PC formatted, you are likely screwed. Do you still have the original machine? Perhaps it has some kind of output or something...

6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

^Agreed. You're best bet is finding the same machine you used and seeing if you can connect a printer to it, although I doubt it....unless you have an old printer. Your best bet is to scan in each page of said document, if you still have it.

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

If it comes to using a scanner, you'd be better off finding one with decent OCR capability to get it back as a usable document rather then a load of uneditable images. It might need a bit of tidying up after, but I can't imagine that it will be too bad if its just pages of printed text.

8. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Well-Known Member

Have you tried contacting Panasonic?

Since this was the mid '90s they may well have old utilities for Windows to transfer the files. It would make sense if they did. At the very least you could download any missing manuals that may help you out.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, I actually do have the original machine and its required printer. the only reason I haven't gotten rid of them is because it's the only way to view/print out those files, since I threw the hard copies away after getting them back in classes. I'll have to see about contacting panasonic, maybe that'll help.