Is there a reason to do video reviews anymore??

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Discussion' started by iheartarcee, Jul 12, 2008.

1. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

With people like seanlong, dbank, peaugh and others doing EARLY video reviews why should other be doing them? I did a search for leader animated megatron and there were several reviews of him and he only hit shelves in half of the us last week or so. I've done some video reviews but it was pretty early in the tf video review era and i havent done one in 4 months or so. So with people jumping on the video review band wagon, why would you make a video?

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Eh, I intend to give it a shot myself whenever I get around to getting a camera with which to do so.

As far as why. Eh, just seems like it would be a fun way to show my thoughts and opinions on a figure, and some things can be better explained and expressed in a visual medium than simply with text. Plus you can always review older figures, things that maybe someone hasn't reviewed. And it always helps to have multiple opinions available on various things.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In a nutshell, no. Unless you have something new and exciting to offer, or maybe something with these really elusive things called... production values.

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do mine because my intended audience of about 10-15 of my friends still enjoy them. :D 

Then again I aim more for their entertainment than just showing what a toy does.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    And I am glad you do Vangelus, of the reviewers I do subscribe to (admittedly quite a few), your vids always seem to be among the more entertaining ones (tell the subtitles I said hi).

Also, I have yet to see a review of llamatron's balls...now there is a first worth fighting for :p 

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Vangelus has the best reviews ever. That is why he does them.

What I don't get is why we need multiple threads for them. It makes searching more of a chore than it should be.

7. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Truth. Vang's reviews are entertaining. Other vids irritate me for various reasons. I haven't seen Peaugh's to comment on them.

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've always said Vangelus is doing the kind of reviews I wish I could but never can deliver on.

As for there being a point to people that buy at retail reviewing the toys when there's already a million reviews out by then - I've been wondering it myself, but the only real answer is that if you want to do it - do it. Say whatever you feel you need to say about the figure and have fun with it.

More people SHOULD just do it for fun rather than aiming for more subscribers and video views or trying to do test shot reviews first for the sake of some front page news credit. Just go for it and enjoy yourself.

9. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    After one website reviews a game does that mean other website shouldn't review it?
    Different people have different opinions, and it's nice to see them on video.

My 2 cents at least.

10. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have I think 5 or Transformers reviews up, all of them are animated and seem to not do that well. But my sentai reviews do pretty well, I assume it's because there is not that many of them compared to the amount of TF reviews.

11. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't worry about the early reviewers. Sure, there are a lot of folks looking for the newest thing. But, often times, the bootleg buyers end up with defective figures which do not represent the line well. Also, I think it is the quality of the review that counts. Things like content and good information. There are reviewers (including myself) that do reviews of G1 and other pre-animated TF's and get tons of views. So a lot of viewers do appreciate variety as well.

12. optimus major

optimus major Banned

News Credits:
    me and my bro are a big fan of your video reviews lol

13. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    I don't really watch Peaugh reviews, they seem really short

14. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Peaugh's reviews. They're to the point and useful for tips, like his Encore Omega Supreme one where he shows how to remove the face. I like Vangelus's review because they're entertaining. I skip ones that are too long, NO review needs to be really long, or to have wasted time, like having the box all read to me. So it's good that there's a choice, I guess.

15. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I love your vids, and wish you'd branch out into older figs too. we could add them to the resources :ev: 

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did Omega Spreem!

He is THE older figure! :O

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Omega Spreem is the secks.

18. the_scientist

the_scientist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I must admit that at times I don't like dbanks reviews. No offense to the guy, just the quality of the review. Peaugh and Vangelus are really the only ones I brother to watch. Peaugh cause it's quick and to the point with a clear view of the figure and Vangelus for the laughs along with still having quality. I don't like sitting through a 10 min+ review unless it has some entertainment along the way.

19. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I only started doing mine because I was tired of having to sit through 15 minutes before even really getting a good look at the figure or multiple part reviews. I figured if all I wanted sometimes was a brief look at the figure and how it worked, there was an audience for it as well. I show some detail, but I don't go over every little thing. Other reviewers already do that, and there's certainly an audience for that as well. And I have fun doing the short, no-frills review. It was a niche I was actively looking for when I started checking out the video reviews, and since it didn't really exist at the time, I went ahead and did it myself :) 

20. xSEANxLONGx

xSEANxLONGx Big Kid

News Credits:
    I did video reviews for I love giving my opinions on the toys I love as well as give a detailed lesson on the figure like you are learning about the figure for the first time. Video Reviews are very fun for me and that's why I sometimes go 20 minutes or more into a figure cuz I can go on and on about a figure I know I talk a lot! LOL!

Anyway forget competition, forget who does them first(I'm trying to do every figure first by the way), forget how many people have reviewed the figure and just remember it is YOU doing the review and bringing your 2 cents to the table so have fun with it!